What about the other 30%?

Old February 21st 05, 02:56 PM
Robert Chung

Default What about the other 30%?

From http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...eb05/feb21news

Fourteen UCI ProTeams have decided to put the UCI ProTour logo on their
jersey, demonstrating their commitment to the circuit, the International
Cycling Union has announced.

Old February 21st 05, 03:07 PM
Van Hoorebeeck Bart

In any democracy, 70% is a tremendous success, indicating approval of well
thought out leadership and planning.

True: The formulation "they have decided" is funny.
Looks more like all were asked and 7 teams refused .

I am done with trying to look for proper information. Can anyone tell how
rankings by nation will be done from now on, with such a complete separation
of ProTour and continental (teams') scoring?
And with the ProTour teams eating so much points away from continental races
in Europe?

Old February 21st 05, 07:57 PM
Kenny

Two separated classifications, if you ask me. PT-riders cannot earn
points in continental races and vice versa.

Kenny

Old February 21st 05, 09:55 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:09:48 +1100, "Jeff Jones"
jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com wrote:

Two separated classifications, if you ask me. PT-riders cannot earn
points in continental races and vice versa.

That's how I understand it. Mutually exclusive.

What's the chance of a Continental pro team getting in enough Pro Tour
events to have a virtual Pro Tour champion? Or does the small print
somewhere limit how many non-'resident' Continental teams can enter an
event, so that no non-Pro Tour team can rack up enough to have a real
chance?

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old February 22nd 05, 10:01 AM
Curtis L. Russell

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:09:14 +1100, "Jeff Jones"
jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com wrote:

c) Because all the good riders capable of winning the ProTour are on ProTour
teams.

Well, and the need to make all the Pro Tour events means most of even
the next level are being sucked into the slightly larger Pro Tour
teams. But just wondering if the next version of Eddie Merkcx misses
out on making a Pro Tour team, whether he could catch a break and win
a virtual title. But. of course, there is always the full power and
might of the UCI to step in if that becomes a danger, I guess, and do
what is necessary to prevent the embarrassment. Largely because the
UCI never views their unilateral actions to be an embarrassment...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old February 22nd 05, 10:57 AM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:09:14 +1100, Jeff Jones wrote:
Maybe if Astarloa can win every
ProTour event that Barloworld gets invited to...

For now, he broke his left wrist at the Classic Haribo, according to
(from the admin of
http://www.ciclonews.com/portal/inde...=single&id=829 ).

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/
Old February 22nd 05, 11:22 AM
Kenny

What's the chance of a Continental pro team getting in enough Pro

Tour
events to have a virtual Pro Tour champion? Or does the small print
somewhere limit how many non-'resident' Continental teams can enter

an
event, so that no non-Pro Tour team can rack up enough to have a real
chance?

If Rebellin would ride for Mr Bookmaker and he did his tricks from last
year over, there would be a virtual continental Pro-tour winner.
Possible, but the chances are very little.

On the other hand; what if VDB... :-)

Kenny

Old February 22nd 05, 03:39 PM

In any democracy, 70% is a tremendous success, indicating approval
of well
thought out leadership and planning.

That's exactly what Zapatero says.

I am done with trying to look for proper information. Can anyone tell

how
rankings by nation will be done from now on, with such a complete
separation of ProTour and continental (teams') scoring?

UCI Pro Tour: sum of points from 5 best riders
Continental circuits: sum of points from 10 best riders
Worlds' qualification rules - mix of Pro Tour and continental rankings
http://uci.ch/imgArchive/Rules/qual%...e%202005-a.pdf

jenko