Cheap tubular tires ??

Old August 19th 05, 01:36 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Cheap tubular tires ??

On 18 Aug 2005 15:04:44 -0700, wrote:

wrote:
bfd wrote:
I should add that outside of Veloflex, Tufo, and Dugast, virtually all
other tubulars available in the US are made in the Lion Tire plant in
Thailand, including EVERY Vittoria model. So basically with the Yellow
Jersey deal, you're getting a 220TPI Vittoria at around 17 bucks a tire.

And to beat the other bike nerds to the punch, I'll admit that I forgot
high end conti's are made in Germany.

What about Schwalbe tubulars?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit
http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old August 19th 05, 02:00 AM

wrote:

I don't think you can draw that direct a correlation between price and
puncture resistance. Who hasn't attributed an untimely puncture of any
tire to simple bad luck?

Certainly there is a positive correlation between price and reliability
and quality. But a correlation does not mean that you can predict
exactly how many flats you will get or how straight the tread will be
for every single tire you buy based on exactly how much you paid for
it. Nor does it even mean that there will never be a type of tire that
provides better reliability and quality for less money. It just means
that in general there is a relationship.

I never had good success with Conti Sprinters. I found them hard to
mount, lumpy, and not particularly puncture-resistant.

I can't say that I've had those problems, except for needing more
effort to stretch them before mounting compared to some tires, but I
did say that my sample size was small. They may not be as good as
Vittoria Corsa for all I know since I have never used them that I
remember, but compared to the cheap tires that are commonly available
for half the price, I think they are much better in all of these
characteristics.

I like Vittorias. You can buy them mail-order from Great Britain for
half what they retail for here in the USA. For example, ProBikeKit.com
sells Vittoria Corsa's for under $40 each.

Because I don't use a bunch of tires, I use the just-in-time system for
tire replacement- I get a flat where I need a new tire, I go buy one
that day from a LBS that I found with good prices on that tire.

So would you recommend the $40 Corsa over a $25 "training" tire? What
about a $60-80 Corsa over the $25 tire?

Old August 19th 05, 03:21 PM

B wrote:
Hello:

I am looking for a good source for inexpensive 700C tubulars suitable
for training on relatively rough roads. I am a big rider (210) and would
prefer something more durable yet reasonably light weight.

A Canadian source would be the best soulution, although I am open to US
dealer(s).

Cheers,

Bruce

$39.95 for Continental Sprinters from Bike Tires Direct. I've had
fairly good flat resistance and durability with them. Much better than
any clinchers I've ridden. I'm around 190 pounds.
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/searc...lts.asp?cat=tt

Many years ago I bought a bunch of Continental Sprinters for $30 each
(including shipping) from Racer Sportif in Toronto. Give them a call.
http://www.racersportif.com/index.htm

Old August 19th 05, 04:31 PM
John Everett

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:17:40 -0600, B wrote:

Hello:

I am looking for a good source for inexpensive 700C tubulars suitable
for training on relatively rough roads. I am a big rider (210) and would
prefer something more durable yet reasonably light weight.

A Canadian source would be the best soulution, although I am open to US
dealer(s).

You might try Giro Poste in Toronto. http://www.giroposte.com

They have a range of tubulars starting with Vittoria Formula Unos at
$24.95(cdn).

I haven't dealt with them in a few years but my experiences have been
all positive. IIRC the owner is named Tim Laspa.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3