recommend a pedal for a clipless noob

Old May 14th 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default recommend a pedal for a clipless noob

On May 14, 12:58 pm, Matt O'Toole wrote:

IME though the "casual" style MTB shoes are crap, and fall apart in short
order.

Oh, right--I mean more like the "race" type MTB shoes, which are more
or less a road shoe with a slightly flexy walkable sole with a couple
notches taken out. Mine I wouldn't want to hike in, but good enough to
amble into a store. Indeed, I'm not a fan of more sneakery stuff.

Old May 14th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On May 14, 1:47*pm, Matt O'Toole wrote:
On Sat, 10 May 2008 18:21:16 -0700, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,
*Art Harris wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:
Hi all,

I'm thinking about making the leap to clipless (I've got some fresh
rat trap scars on the back of my leg, because I don't have either good
pedals or good shoes at the moment) but am not sure what I should try
first.

Most people are telling me to go SPD, but the guy at the LBS closest
to my house tells me I really want Looks for more float (makes sense.)
*

I would recomment dual-sided SPD pedals such as the PD-M520. It has
enough float

The PD-M520 is good. I run its more expensive sibling PD-M540, for no
particular reason.
Drooling for the XTR PD-M970.

First pedal to earn XTR status

Our lightest MTB SPD pedal ever

Flourine [sic] coated binding claws allow easy entry and release

I started out with Look pedals in the early '90s when they were the only
think around, and used them untill a few years ago. If you do any amount
of walking, an SPD pedal with a recessed cleat is a better choice. The
Look pedals make you walk like a duck, and the plastic cleats wear
quickly and tend to slip when you put a foot down.

As for a shoe, I'd recommend the Shimano RT-51 because it has a good
stiff sole which will eliminate "hot spots" due to cleat pressure on
your foot.

See:
http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont.../us/index/prod...

I am shopping around for some RT-51's, because I have waffle stompers
and want to go with the smooth soles.

I don't know what the other differences might be, but the new one is too
garish, with the shiny silver color and the brand name too prominent.
The older one was a more subdued black and gray that didn't scream "bike
shoe" if you were wearing it around town. *

If you find the RT50s on sale somewhere let me know.

Matt O.

Nashbar still has 'em, but not in my size.

nate

Old May 15th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gig Miller

After using Time pedals for years, then Look Keo's, I've finally made
the switch to Speedplay Zero pedals. I had always heard people rave
about them, and now I'm one too. With the Look Keo pedals, I always
felt like I was about to come out of them on steep climbs. After going
down last November in a minor crash, which cracked the carbon Keo, I
took the plunge and bought the Zeros. They are very stable and easy on
the knees. With respect to walking in them, just buy the Coffee covers
and carry them with you.....no big deal.

Greg

On May 10, 10:01 am, Nate Nagel wrote:
Hi all,

I'm thinking about making the leap to clipless (I've got some fresh rat
trap scars on the back of my leg, because I don't have either good
pedals or good shoes at the moment) but am not sure what I should try first.

Most people are telling me to go SPD, but the guy at the LBS closest to
my house tells me I really want Looks for more float (makes sense.) I
don't think he's trying to make a sale because he's got a bucket full of
used pedals of both types, and he doesn't sell shoes at all. I was
hoping to be able to walk in whatever shoes I ended up getting but that
seems to not be an option for either? Also, what about the new SPD-SL?

Also, any recommendations on shoes? I've just been wearing some old
soccer shoes on platforms and I can tell they're not stiff enough, my
toes feel a little weird after about 10 miles or so.

I'm not looking for "the best" just something that will work well,
although I don't mind spending money if there's a real value in spending
more.

Most of my riding will be on roads, FWIW...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel