Adapting single bolt caliper brake from 27" fork to reach 26" wheel?

Old January 16th 15, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Adapting single bolt caliper brake from 27" fork to reach 26" wheel?

On Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 2:42:40 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 9:11:40 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Sheldon Brown's site has some detail on ways to do this:
http://sheldonbrown.com/home-drop.html

He's using two aluminum plates, which would help the stiffness tremendously.

He's using an adapter plate on Paul cantis (?). I'm not sure what that adapter plate looks like.

Sheldon used homemade adapter plates on centerpull brakes. I thought that's
what we were talking about (at least, most of us), not on cantis.

Frank, didn't you switch to 700C on your old Cannondale?

I did. My cantilevers had just enough vertical adjustment available to make
the switch with no problems. Sorry, I'm nowhere near the bike now, so I
can't tell you what brakes I've got. They're not original, but they're
nothing fancy.

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 16th 15, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Sheldon's encouraging mods with simple suggestions ? drill hole, install, bolt...?

actually a good enlargement with a rat tail file gets the pads in position.