Chain Question -- Joining 10sp

Old January 3rd 15, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Chain Question -- Joining 10sp

On 1/2/2015 5:26 PM, jbeattie wrote:
Can you reliably join a 10sp chain (KMC) using a pin tool? I tried to add a few links so I could use a KMC 10sp chain on a different bike, and the plate popped off, or is beginning to pop off. Is there a trick? The pin depth looked good when I put the chain together (fully penetrated the plate). There was nothing to suggest that the plate might pull off.

-- Jay Beattie.

In theory probably but in practice not.
Get a snap link.

Modern skinny chain has flush rivets which sit tightly in
thin plates very much unlike the chains of our youth.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 3rd 15, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/3/2015 5:36 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 09:43:15 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

Doesn't Schimano make a special pin to join their chains?

See: http://tinyurl.com/ok4dq3c

"(4) Brake off the excess part."

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 3rd 15, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

MOTION TO RESTORE

Old January 4th 15, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

The only chains that can still be repaired with a chain tool are the Sram Sachs 9 speed or 8 speed chains. In an emergency you can use a 9 speed link to join a 10 speed chain. The trick is to make sure the excess pin length is on the outer side of the chain as measured from the center of the frame. This will allow it to work with 10 speed cogs. The front gears have a greater spacing so the excess pin length dose not matter.
Old January 4th 15, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 12:16:57 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
jbeattie schreef op 3-1-2015 om 0:26:
Can you reliably join a 10sp chain (KMC) using a pin tool? I tried to add a few links so I could use a KMC 10sp chain on a different bike, and the plate popped off, or is beginning to pop off. Is there a trick? The pin depth looked good when I put the chain together (fully penetrated the plate). There was nothing to suggest that the plate might pull off.

-- Jay Beattie.

From 9 speed up you can't use a pin tool ton connect the links. Use
quick links or a chain tool that can peen the (special) pin. You must be
very cheap and stupid to risk your front teeth. How much is a new 10
speed chain?

Lou

I needed to add some links, which I did -- and which failed. No broken teeth -- just bad shifting when one plate started to pull off. I've broken chains in the past and had no injuries, unless scootering home is counted as an injury.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 4th 15, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_8_]

On 2015-01-04 15:52:58 +0000, jbeattie said:

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 12:16:57 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
jbeattie schreef op 3-1-2015 om 0:26:
Can you reliably join a 10sp chain (KMC) using a pin tool? I tried to
add a few links so I could use a KMC 10sp chain on a different bike,
and the plate popped off, or is beginning to pop off. Is there a trick?
The pin depth looked good when I put the chain together (fully
penetrated the plate). There was nothing to suggest that the plate
might pull off.

-- Jay Beattie.

From 9 speed up you can't use a pin tool ton connect the links. Use
quick links or a chain tool that can peen the (special) pin. You must
be very cheap and stupid to risk your front teeth. How much is a new
10 speed chain?

Lou

I needed to add some links, which I did -- and which failed. No broken
teeth -- just bad shifting when one plate started to pull off. I've
broken chains in the past and had no injuries, unless scootering home
is counted as an injury.

-- Jay Beattie.

Friend of mine went done bad because of a broken chain. No broken teeth
but he had a painful hip for 2 months. The ignorance of most people is
remarkable. I wrote an 'essay' about modern 9-10-11 speed chains and
what is happening when you pushing out a pin because 80% of the people
in my club had no clou. As a frequent visitor and contributor of RBT I
can't call you ignorant so I'm surprised about your question.

--

Lou

Old January 4th 15, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

TECHNOLOGY and development march on, over and thru us...

where the pin come from ?

Old January 4th 15, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/4/2015 11:08 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
The ignorance of most people [about bicycle mechanics] is
remarkable.

It is.

I've described before doing simple brake adjustments on the bike of a
PhD Electrical Engineer. A PhD English professor was one of the
countless people who I taught to fasten a quick release front axle, when
I spotted his bike with the backwards QR lever. I've adjusted the front
derailleur limit screw of a baffled civil engineer, done tons of work on
the bike of a nationally known poet, overhauled non-working brakes for
the young kid of another English PhD, fixed a stem installation botched
by a lawyer, etc. etc. All these seemed dead simple to me.

These people are not unintelligent. They certainly know things and can
do things that I can't. But people have different skills, and their
minds work differently.

I'm amazed that a technically trained person (the EE) can't understand
caliper brakes, since they are so visually obvious. But to him, they
were baffling.

But should I ever need to program a microchip using assembly language,
he'll be the first person I'll ask.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 4th 15, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Frank ...common over n adjust muh breaks wudja ?

I'mm ix a fuh fuh resh Wallbanger with grenadean....

Old January 4th 15, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2015-01-04 15:52:58 +0000, jbeattie said:

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 12:16:57 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
jbeattie schreef op 3-1-2015 om 0:26:
Can you reliably join a 10sp chain (KMC) using a pin tool? I tried to
add a few links so I could use a KMC 10sp chain on a different bike,
and the plate popped off, or is beginning to pop off. Is there a trick?
The pin depth looked good when I put the chain together (fully
penetrated the plate). There was nothing to suggest that the plate
might pull off.

-- Jay Beattie.

From 9 speed up you can't use a pin tool ton connect the links. Use
[...]

It might be that reinserting a KMC pin weakens the chain but by an insignificant amount in light of the stresses actually seen by the chain or that the pin might be reinserted with a different pin tool that does less damage. I can read FAQs and manufacturers' recommendations, but they often represent the simplest approach assuming that the owner has no mechanical skill. My question was aimed at finding out whether, as a practical matter and with the proper tools/care, a few links could be added to the chain. I've done that reliably with 9 speed SRAM/Sedis chains for years without failure, and it is not recommended by the manufacturer. It seems to be the consensus that one cannot do the same thing with a 10 speed chain.

-- Jay Beattie.