Bike Ride (is that OT now?]

Old January 1st 19, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Bike Ride (is that OT now?]

http://www.yellowjersey.org/ny19.html
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 1st 19, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 12:52:45 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ny19.html
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I don't ride in rain or snow but I would like to get another grocery bike like a Schwinn Voyager with racks on it. Driving a half mile to the store really is ridiculous given the California $3.25 per gallon. And the 5 miles to Trader Joes or a little less to Al's Market where the meat is better than most butcher shops is all a little less troublesome when you can get too and from and not worry about freeway traffic that may cost you just as long to drive and to ride.
Old January 2nd 19, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 14:52:33 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/ny19.html

Time sequence photography? The first photo seems to be a young fellow,
the second a mature individual and the third a bald headed oldster :-)

cheers,

John B.

Old January 2nd 19, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/1/2019 3:52 PM, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ny19.html

I'm jealous. My bronchial thing is keeping me from riding, despite dry
roads and pretty moderate temperatures. Our club had its annual 1/1
ride, but I didn't go.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 2nd 19, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Nice to see how the other half lives, especially from 9C and 6kph wind here in little old Bandon (I hasten to add: in Ireland, not Oregon). Photo at a civilised bicycle forum: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index....99233#msg99233
Old January 2nd 19, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/1/2019 4:52 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 12:52:45 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ny19.html
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I don't ride in rain or snow but I would like to get another grocery bike like a Schwinn Voyager with racks on it. Driving a half mile to the store really is ridiculous given the California $3.25 per gallon. And the 5 miles to Trader Joes or a little less to Al's Market where the meat is better than most butcher shops is all a little less troublesome when you can get too and from and not worry about freeway traffic that may cost you just as long to drive and to ride.

I'm surprised this is only now occurring to you. I've shopped by bike
for decades. Not every time, of course, but my normal transportation to
the grocery store is by bicycle.

BTW, our gas is under $2 per gallon. You should move out of that hell hole.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 2nd 19, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/1/2019 5:59 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 14:52:33 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/ny19.html

Time sequence photography? The first photo seems to be a young fellow,
the second a mature individual and the third a bald headed oldster :-)

cheers,

John B.

Random useful remainders of a few mostly blurry snapshots.

Old January 2nd 19, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ny19.html

Kudos to you and your gang, Andrew. My bicycle related activities for the
last couple of days has been cleaning all the parts I pulled off my frame,
and reading this newsgroup. Neither one was particularly aerobic exercise.

Old January 2nd 19, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 4:37:06 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/1/2019 3:52 PM, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ny19.html

I'm jealous. My bronchial thing is keeping me from riding, despite dry
roads and pretty moderate temperatures. Our club had its annual 1/1
ride, but I didn't go.

I feel like a whimp because it was icy, and I decided to go for a walk rather than a ride. My wife and I walked a few miles to some friends' house to attend their annual Swedish pancake New Years day extravaganza. Then we waddled home. Four miles and a net calorie gain. I did work on my son's Roubaix because I'm his personal mechanic.

More bike content -- there is a surprising amount of slop in the interface between the Shimano centerlock rotor spines and the hub splines -- at least on my son's bike. With the brakes locked, you can rock the front wheel back and forth like the bike has a loose headset, which it doesn't since I just repacked his cartridges and correctly adjusted the headset. Just plain old slop -- confirmed by complaints on the interweb.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 2nd 19, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/1/2019 7:19 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ny19.html

Kudos to you and your gang, Andrew. My bicycle related activities for the
last couple of days has been cleaning all the parts I pulled off my frame,
and reading this newsgroup. Neither one was particularly aerobic exercise.

To ride in salt the #1 criterion is a bike you do not love.