Enve Consumer Safety Bulletin

Old March 6th 19, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Enve Consumer Safety Bulletin

Based on reports from the field that tires with cotton,
silk, or other natural fiber sidewalls with open tubular
style of construction were degrading quicker than expected,
we launched a study to understand the validity and
prevalence of these claims. As a result of this
investigation, we confirmed that tires using natural
sidewall materials with an open tubular type construction,
are not fit for use with ENVE carbon rims. It is important
to note that through this study, we reached out to many
dealers as well as other wheel manufacturers to see if their
consumers are having the same results as ours. The response
was an unequivocal confirmation that these tires were
fatiguing prematurely and in some cases resulting in crashes
and injury to the rider when the tire sidewall failed or the
tire came off the rim without warning.Â
There are two specific failure modes that have been
documented and are not limited to ENVE rims, rather these
failures have been consistent in our test lab on a variety
of other manufacture’s rims, both alloy and carbon.Â
The first failure is best defined as a cut or wearing
through of the natural fibers on the sidewall of the tire at
or near the rim’s hook bead. Once cut through, the tube
extrudes through the tear and bursts, often unseating the
tire from the rim resulting in sudden loss of control and a
crash. The cutting of the sidewall is the result of soft
fibers (the cotton or similar textile) being abraded by the
harder edge of the rim during the rotational compression
cycles of wheel and tire.Â
The second failure mode is that of the tire itself
stretching off the rim. This is can be caused by a variety
of factors, among them, low bead stiffness, varying tire
diameters, over inflation, or some combo of the three. The
tires most susceptible to this failure are those with a
“handmade open tubular” type construction. Given the
large selection of tires on the market that deliver
excellent performance with reliability, it is our
recommendation that ENVE customers should not pair these
tires with their ENVE wheelsets.
Here are some specific brand/tire models that we DO NOT
recommend:
Vittoria Corsa Non-Tubeless (Not ALL Vittoria Tires) –
This tire features cotton sidewalls in black, para (tan),
and anthracite (gray). This tire has been described to us by
Vittoria as a race day only type of tire and that it is not
recommended for training or prolonged use. This tire has
been the main offender for cut sidewalls. While this one
tire is not recommended for use with ENVE wheels,
Vittoria’s Rubino model tires and the tubeless ready Corsa
Speed have proven safe and reliable in our testing.Â
Challenge Handmade Clinchers – These are Open Tubular
Non-Vulcanized Tires
Models:  Criterium SC S, Strada SC S, Paris Roubaix SC
S, Strada PRO, Paris Roubaix PRO, Elite PRO
Consumer Service/Dealer Communication Recommendation:
1) Do not recommend, promote, or condone the use of the
above “Not Recommended” tires to your ENVE customer.

2) If you know of customers currently riding ENVE w/ a Not
Recommended tire, please contact them and ask them to
replace their tires as soon as possible. If they intend to
ride this combination before replacing their tires,
encourage them to inspect the area of the tire that contacts
the rim’s leading edge for abrasion or signs of wear. If
any signs of wear or cutting are present, reiterate that
they are at risk.Â
Please recommend the following manufacturers to customers:Â

Continental
Hutchinson
Mavic
Schwalbe
IRC
Maxxis
Pirelli
Tufo
Panaracer
Vittoria – Just not the Corsa Open Tubular
Specialized – Only known exception is the S Works
2Bliss 28mm which is not compatible with hookless rims like
the G23 or SESÂ 4.5 AR
Bontrager

If you have further questions, or a specific tire that you
would like to see tested and approved, please contact your
ENVE Dealer Service Representative at 877-358-2869.Â
Sincerely,Â
ENVE Composites

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 7th 19, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/6/2019 4:27 PM, AMuzi wrote:
Based on reports from the field that tires with cotton, silk, or other
natural fiber sidewalls with open tubular style of construction were
degrading quicker than expected, we launched a study to understand the
validity and prevalence of these claims. As a result of this
investigation, we confirmed that tires using natural sidewall materials
with an open tubular type construction, are not fit for use with ENVE
carbon rims. ...

Is there some specific feature of those rims that cause the problem? For
example, is the rim somehow sharper at the interface with the tire?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 7th 19, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 1:28:03 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
Based on reports from the field that tires with cotton,
silk, or other natural fiber sidewalls with open tubular
style of construction were degrading quicker than expected,
we launched a study to understand the validity and
prevalence of these claims. As a result of this
investigation, we confirmed that tires using natural
sidewall materials with an open tubular type construction,
are not fit for use with ENVE carbon rims. It is important
to note that through this study, we reached out to many
dealers as well as other wheel manufacturers to see if their
consumers are having the same results as ours. The response
was an unequivocal confirmation that these tires were
fatiguing prematurely and in some cases resulting in crashes
and injury to the rider when the tire sidewall failed or the
tire came off the rim without warning.Ă‚
There are two specific failure modes that have been
documented and are not limited to ENVE rims, rather these
failures have been consistent in our test lab on a variety
of other manufacture’s rims, both alloy and carbon..Â
The first failure is best defined as a cut or wearing
through of the natural fibers on the sidewall of the tire at
or near the rim’s hook bead. Once cut through, the tube
extrudes through the tear and bursts, often unseating the
tire from the rim resulting in sudden loss of control and a
crash. The cutting of the sidewall is the result of soft
fibers (the cotton or similar textile) being abraded by the
harder edge of the rim during the rotational compression
cycles of wheel and tire.Ă‚
[...]
Speed have proven safe and reliable in our testing.Ă‚
Challenge Handmade Clinchers – These are Open Tubular
Non-Vulcanized Tires
Models: Ă‚ Criterium SC S,Ă‚ Strada SC S,Ă‚ Paris Roubaix SC
S,Ă‚ Strada PRO,Ă‚ Paris Roubaix PRO,Ă‚ Elite PRO
Consumer Service/Dealer Communication Recommendation:
1) Do not recommend, promote, or condone the use of the
above “Not Recommended†tires to your ENVE customer.

2) If you know of customers currently riding ENVE w/ a Not
Recommended tire, please contact them and ask them to
replace their tires as soon as possible. If they intend to
ride this combination before replacing their tires,
encourage them to inspect the area of the tire that contacts
the rim’s leading edge for abrasion or signs of wear. If
any signs of wear or cutting are present, reiterate that
they are at risk.Ă‚
Please recommend the following manufacturers to customers:Ă‚

Continental
Hutchinson
Mavic
Schwalbe
IRC
Maxxis
Pirelli
Tufo
Panaracer
Vittoria – Just not the Corsa Open Tubular
Specialized – Only known exception is the S Works
2Bliss 28mm which is not compatible with hookless rims like
the G23 or SESĂ‚ 4.5 AR
Bontrager

If you have further questions, or a specific tire that you
would like to see tested and approved, please contact your
ENVE Dealer Service Representative at 877-358-2869.Ă‚
Sincerely,Ă‚
ENVE Composites

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

In this same vein - does anyone know about bicycle insurance? While I've been lucky enough to always avoid drivers there's always the chance that I could cause a lot of damage to a very expensive car. I will have to contact my car insurance people and see if my car insurance insures me on my bike.
Old March 7th 19, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/6/2019 6:03 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/6/2019 4:27 PM, AMuzi wrote:
Based on reports from the field that tires with cotton,
silk, or other natural fiber sidewalls with open tubular
style of construction were degrading quicker than
expected, we launched a study to understand the validity
and prevalence of these claims. As a result of this
investigation, we confirmed that tires using natural
sidewall materials with an open tubular type construction,
are not fit for use with ENVE carbon rims. ...

Is there some specific feature of those rims that cause the
problem? For example, is the rim somehow sharper at the
interface with the tire?

Seems to be the problem but I don't know that.

Old March 7th 19, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 7/3/19 8:27 am, AMuzi wrote:

Please recommend the following manufacturers to customers:Â

*** Continental
*** Hutchinson
*** Mavic
*** Schwalbe
*** IRC
*** Maxxis
*** Pirelli
*** Tufo
*** Panaracer
*** Vittoria – Just not the Corsa Open Tubular
*** Specialized – Only known exception is the S Works 2Bliss 28mm
which is not compatible with hookless rims like the G23 or SESÂ 4.5 AR
*** Bontrager

No Michelin? I'm terribly upset.

--
JS
Old March 7th 19, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 6:14:03 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 7/3/19 8:27 am, AMuzi wrote:

Please recommend the following manufacturers to customers:Ă‚

Â*Â*Â* Continental
Â*Â*Â* Hutchinson
Â*Â*Â* Mavic
Â*Â*Â* Schwalbe
Â*Â*Â* IRC
Â*Â*Â* Maxxis
Â*Â*Â* Pirelli
Â*Â*Â* Tufo
Â*Â*Â* Panaracer
Â*Â*Â* Vittoria – Just not the Corsa Open Tubular
Â*Â*Â* Specialized – Only known exception is the S Works 2Bliss 28mm
which is not compatible with hookless rims like the G23 or SESĂ‚ 4.5 AR
Â*Â*Â* Bontrager

No Michelin? I'm terribly upset.

I thought that was odd, too. I wonder what's up with Michelin.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 7th 19, 08:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 7/3/19 8:27 am, AMuzi wrote:

Please recommend the following manufacturers to customers:Ă‚

Â*Â*Â* Continental
Â*Â*Â* Hutchinson
Â*Â*Â* Mavic
Â*Â*Â* Schwalbe
Â*Â*Â* IRC
Â*Â*Â* Maxxis
Â*Â*Â* Pirelli
Â*Â*Â* Tufo
Â*Â*Â* Panaracer
Â*Â*Â* Vittoria – Just not the Corsa Open Tubular
Â*Â*Â* Specialized – Only known exception is the S Works 2Bliss 28mm
which is not compatible with hookless rims like the G23 or SESĂ‚ 4.5 AR
Â*Â*Â* Bontrager

No Michelin? I'm terribly upset.

I thought that was odd, too. I wonder what's up with Michelin.

Too good for them.

--
JS
Old March 10th 19, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 7/3/19 8:27 am, AMuzi wrote:

Please recommend the following manufacturers to customers:Â

*** Continental
*** Hutchinson
*** Mavic
*** Schwalbe
*** IRC
*** Maxxis
*** Pirelli
*** Tufo
*** Panaracer
*** Vittoria – Just not the Corsa Open Tubular
*** Specialized – Only known exception is the S Works 2Bliss 28mm
which is not compatible with hookless rims like the G23 or SESÂ 4.5 AR
*** Bontrager

Rene Herse/Compass tires are ok.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2019/...h-carbon-rims/

--