A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Belt Drives



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 7th 05, 08:37 PM
Tosspot
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Belt Drives

Perusing the LBS in search of rims, hubs and spokes I spotted a little
folder with a Nexave 7-speed hub and a belt drive.

Sooo...why don't we see more belt drives? Maintenance free, tough as
tarmac, used on motorcycles and cars so proven technology.

Ok, I note it's going to be tricky with a Campag-10 setup, but still.
Ads
  #2  
Old August 7th 05, 09:01 PM
D.M. Procida
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Belt Drives

Tosspot wrote:

Perusing the LBS in search of rims, hubs and spokes I spotted a little
folder with a Nexave 7-speed hub and a belt drive.

Sooo...why don't we see more belt drives? Maintenance free, tough as
tarmac, used on motorcycles and cars so proven technology.

Ok, I note it's going to be tricky with a Campag-10 setup, but still.


I was going to ask exactly the same question. Just think, no moving
parts.

Daniele
--
Apple Juice www.apple-juice.co.uk
Chapter Arts Centre
Market Road
Cardiff CF5 1QE
  #3  
Old August 7th 05, 09:11 PM
Tosspot
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Belt Drives

D.M. Procida wrote:
Tosspot wrote:


Perusing the LBS in search of rims, hubs and spokes I spotted a little
folder with a Nexave 7-speed hub and a belt drive.

Sooo...why don't we see more belt drives? Maintenance free, tough as
tarmac, used on motorcycles and cars so proven technology.

Ok, I note it's going to be tricky with a Campag-10 setup, but still.



I was going to ask exactly the same question. Just think, no moving
parts.


No chain lube, no powerlinks, no cleaning!
  #4  
Old August 7th 05, 09:24 PM
soup
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Belt Drives

Tosspot wrote:
No chain lube, no powerlinks, no cleaning!


Would need joining somewhere but yes would be a lot cleaner than a
chain.

--
yours S

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione


  #5  
Old August 7th 05, 09:30 PM
Peter Clinch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Belt Drives

Tosspot wrote:

Sooo...why don't we see more belt drives? Maintenance free, tough as
tarmac, used on motorcycles and cars so proven technology.


Same reason you don't see many on motorcycles: less efficient than
a chain. But on a m/cycle you can get over a lot of the problem by
just putting in a bigger engine, which doesn't apply to bikes in
the same way...

Same with shaft drive. They're there and you can buy them, and you
have the same pros/cons (though both to a greater extent with a
shaft): cleaner and less maintenance, but sucks up more power and
limits your choice of final drive gear.

Also the case that you can aovid a lot of ther mess and maintenance
of a chain drive, at least with hub of single speed gears, by just
enclosing it, which does add a little weight but doesn't compromise
the efficiency (and by reducing the amount of chain wear from road
clag may actually improve matters over the longer term).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
  #6  
Old August 7th 05, 10:03 PM
Tony Raven
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Belt Drives

Tosspot wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:

Tosspot wrote:


Perusing the LBS in search of rims, hubs and spokes I spotted a little
folder with a Nexave 7-speed hub and a belt drive.

Sooo...why don't we see more belt drives? Maintenance free, tough as
tarmac, used on motorcycles and cars so proven technology.

Ok, I note it's going to be tricky with a Campag-10 setup, but still.




I was going to ask exactly the same question. Just think, no moving
parts.



No chain lube, no powerlinks, no cleaning!


No efficiency either. Plus tend to slip under power unless you use a
heavy belt under high tension. Best left to local errand bikes or
vehicles with motors.

Like shaft drive, they are not common on bikes for a reason.

--
Tony

"I did make a mistake once - I thought I'd made a mistake but I hadn't"
Anon
  #7  
Old August 7th 05, 10:24 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Belt Drives

I submit that on or about Sun, 07 Aug 2005 21:37:57 +0200, the person
known to the court as Tosspot made a statement
in Your Honour's bundle) to the
following effect:

Sooo...why don't we see more belt drives?


Less efficient, and belt life. I have heard the noise a Strida makes
as the belt disintegrates :-)

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

"To every complex problem there is a solution which is
simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
  #8  
Old August 7th 05, 10:37 PM
Simon Brooke
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Belt Drives

in message , Tony Raven
') wrote:

Tosspot wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:

Tosspot wrote:

Perusing the LBS in search of rims, hubs and spokes I spotted a
little folder with a Nexave 7-speed hub and a belt drive.

Sooo...why don't we see more belt drives? Maintenance free, tough
as tarmac, used on motorcycles and cars so proven technology.

Ok, I note it's going to be tricky with a Campag-10 setup, but
still.

I was going to ask exactly the same question. Just think, no moving
parts.


No chain lube, no powerlinks, no cleaning!


No efficiency either. Plus tend to slip under power unless you use a
heavy belt under high tension.


Or teeth.

I suspect efficiency may be part of it, but probably the main reason
belt-drive kits are not available for conventional bikes is because of
the seat-stay. Either you'd have to have a removable drive-side
seat-stay, or no drive side seat-stay (cantilevered chain-stay), or
you'd have to mount the rear pulley on the outside of the
seat-stay/chain-stay, because, unlike a chain, you can't break and
rejoin a toothed belt.

All this is possible of course but you can't retrofit it to a
conventional frame design.

--
(Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
Das Internet is nicht fuer gefingerclicken und giffengrabben... Ist
nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das mausklicken sichtseeren
keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und
watchen das cursorblinken. -- quoted from the jargon file

  #9  
Old August 7th 05, 11:36 PM
Tony Raven
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Belt Drives

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Tony Raven
') wrote:


No efficiency either. Plus tend to slip under power unless you use a
heavy belt under high tension.



Or teeth.


Have a look at a Harley drive belt - it has teeth and still needs lots
of tension to stop it slipping on a large diameter toothed drive pulley.
So does the toothed belt on a Strida (which slips if you try too hard
on the pedals)


--
Tony

"I did make a mistake once - I thought I'd made a mistake but I hadn't"
Anon
  #10  
Old August 8th 05, 07:46 AM
Peter B
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Belt Drives


"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
...
Also the case that you can aovid a lot of ther mess and maintenance
of a chain drive, at least with hub of single speed gears, by just
enclosing it, which does add a little weight but doesn't compromise
the efficiency (and by reducing the amount of chain wear from road
clag may actually improve matters over the longer term).


As an aside SWMBOS Nissan has chain drive camshafts, service instructions?
None. No service required.
Having suffered a cam belt failure that sounds good to me!
(yes, I do appreciate chains *can* break).

--
Pete



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Messenger bags vs belt packs? [email protected] Techniques 33 May 9th 05 01:50 AM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Mountain Biking 23 November 18th 04 09:53 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Techniques 39 November 18th 04 09:53 PM
FS: NOS Campagnolo Belt Buckles Ground Zero Marketplace 0 October 8th 04 06:35 PM
FS: NOS Campagnolo Belt Buckles Ground Zero Marketplace 0 September 20th 04 05:26 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.