Waxed bottle cages?

Old November 30th 08, 05:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default Waxed bottle cages?

Here's one I'll bet isn't in the FAQ:

Anybody wax their bottle cages? Not only would this smooth pulling
and restoring the water bottle, but I run two bottle (even now that
it's cold and wet out), and one of them tends to turn itself around
and gets a build-up of aluminum alloy residue all over it. I may be
OCD, but can't get over the concern that I'm going to be drinking some
aluminum or something.

Anyway, I'm trying to save up for stainless steel bottle cages, but
until then, should I put a bit of wax on my cage(s). (I know, I know
- why dont' you try it and let us know how it turns out :-)
Old November 30th 08, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I have plastic bottle cages for my road bike. Are you talking about road
bike or mountain bike. My bottle cage on my mountain bike became broken
after about a year or two on trial riding. It was a purple anodized aluminum
and worked well until it broke. I think I remember even the anodized left a
mark. How much are the stainless steel cages, I am not the kind to blow a
bunch of money on a bottle cage.

Old November 30th 08, 06:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 21:56:54 -0800 (PST), Dan O
wrote:

Here's one I'll bet isn't in the FAQ:

Anybody wax their bottle cages? Not only would this smooth pulling
and restoring the water bottle, but I run two bottle (even now that
it's cold and wet out), and one of them tends to turn itself around
and gets a build-up of aluminum alloy residue all over it. I may be
OCD, but can't get over the concern that I'm going to be drinking some
aluminum or something.

Anyway, I'm trying to save up for stainless steel bottle cages, but
until then, should I put a bit of wax on my cage(s). (I know, I know
- why dont' you try it and let us know how it turns out :-)

Dear Dan,

I foresee an endless debate over the relative merits of waxing versus
oiling your bottle cage, with camelbacks playing the part of the
shaft-drives in the chain-lube wars.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 30th 08, 06:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Nov 29, 10:09 pm, "g" wrote:
I have plastic bottle cages for my road bike. Are you talking about road
bike or mountain bike.

Road bike - commuter. I haven't been drinking out of the second
bottle for a couple of months now, but every time I consider leaving
it home, I start to imagine needing water out on the road to like
cleanse wounds :-O, or some such thing.

My bottle cage on my mountain bike became broken
after about a year or two on trial riding. It was a purple anodized aluminum
and worked well until it broke. I think I remember even the anodized left a
mark.

These are pretty decent looking alloy cages that came off of my
Stumpjumper - they say "Specialized" on them (but then, so do my
Nashbar bottles). The paint has worn off where the bottles rub, and
it's really marking up the bottles. (Although, it kind of gives the
bottles an "authenticity" sitting on the conference room table that
you can't just fake :-)

How much are the stainless steel cages, I am not the kind to blow a
bunch of money on a bottle cage

They're like $13.99 or so apiece - and they *never* seem to go on
sale :-(

Old November 30th 08, 06:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

g wrote:
I have plastic bottle cages for my road bike. Are you talking about road
bike or mountain bike. My bottle cage on my mountain bike became broken
after about a year or two on trial riding. It was a purple anodized aluminum
and worked well until it broke. I think I remember even the anodized left a
mark. How much are the stainless steel cages, I am not the kind to blow a
bunch of money on a bottle cage.

There are cost replacement factors as well. 13 years ago I bought a pair
of the titanium King cages www.kingcage.com for about $49 each. That may
seem like a lot, but they don't mark the bottles, they hold the bottles
very securely, they hold their shape and they haven't broken. Even if I
had spent $15 on replacing the cages every two years, I'd be better off
now and they are as good now as the day I bought them.

The Ti cages are now $60 each, but the stainless ones (which also claim
to be non-marking) are only $17 each. If they even last half as long as
my Ti ones, they're still a helluva bargain.
Old November 30th 08, 07:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Nov 29, 10:51 pm, Carl Sundquist wrote:
g wrote:
[...]

Absolutely true, and I've already well rationalized the $30 or so for
a pair. Now it's just a matter of floating them up near enough the
top of priority list around payday.

Old November 30th 08, 11:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:

Here's one I'll bet isn't in the FAQ:

Probably because it isn't frequently asked.

Anybody wax their bottle cages? Not only would this smooth pulling
and restoring the water bottle,

It isn't good to have the cages be very smooth if you ride on bumpy
terrain -- were I ride I'm more concerned about cages coming out than
any problems pulling them out.

but I run two bottle (even now that
it's cold and wet out), and one of them tends to turn itself around
and gets a build-up of aluminum alloy residue all over it.

If you use cages made of plastic or steel or nylon you'll have much
less marking of the bottle.

I may be
OCD, but can't get over the concern that I'm going to be drinking some
aluminum or something.

The aluminum's on the outside. I don't see how that could be possible.
Old November 30th 08, 11:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 00:51:53 -0600, Carl Sundquist
wrote:

There are cost replacement factors as well. 13 years ago I bought a pair
of the titanium King cages www.kingcage.com for about $49 each. That may
seem like a lot, but they don't mark the bottles, they hold the bottles
very securely, they hold their shape and they haven't broken. Even if I
had spent $15 on replacing the cages every two years, I'd be better off
now and they are as good now as the day I bought them.

The Ti cages are now $60 each, but the stainless ones (which also claim
to be non-marking) are only $17 each. If they even last half as long as
my Ti ones, they're still a helluva bargain.

Yeah. I use the steel ones and they're great. Have lasted at least
six years, minimal or no marking (there is a tiny bit of marking, but
it's not from the cage but rather road grime that gets smeared onto
the bottle by the cage), hold the bottles well.

May tri the Ti someday.
Old November 30th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Dan O:
I may be
OCD, but can't get over the concern that I'm going to be drinking some
aluminum or something.

Around here, my paranoia in that respect extends to goose poop
and similar material flying off the tires onto the water bottle.

If I want quick access, I carry a water bottle in my hip pack.

If I want the bottle on the frame, I put it in one of those
plastic sleeves that the newspapers get delivered in.
--
PeteCresswell

Bottle Cages Behind Saddle - HELP !!!!! Dogfighting Racing 3 April 27th 07 07:39 AM
F.S. TACX Bottle Cages Mario Maiorano Marketplace 0 May 24th 06 09:40 AM
bottle cages Neal Techniques 11 September 4th 05 05:09 AM
fuel bottle cages Walter Mitty General 4 March 2nd 04 01:31 AM
fuel bottle cages Walter Mitty Rides 1 February 29th 04 08:52 PM