Lacing a Brooks

Old February 12th 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Keiron[_2_]

Default Lacing a Brooks

Hello all.

Got a Brooks saddle on a second hand bike which despite being moulded to
someone elses less substantial ass has been very comfortable for me.
However it quickly took on that U-Shape so I need to lace it.

I've drilled holes, 5 a side and approx 10mm apart, but I can't seem to
get anything to hold. My mass has shredded shoe laces and ty-wraps.

The difference between this case and those documented on the web is that
I'm trying to lace a B66 (Universal I think) and not the more narrow
models. So I'm thinking perhaps a combination of my weight (about 210lbs)
and the distance between skirts is creating a fair force on the 'lace'.

Therefore-it follows-ergo I need sound advice from fat riders with laced
B66 saddles.

Most obliged

Keiron
Old February 12th 09, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Feb 12, 9:15*am, Keiron wrote:
Hello all.

Got a Brooks saddle on a second hand bike which despite being moulded to
someone elses less substantial ass has been very comfortable for me.
However it quickly took on that U-Shape so I need to lace it.

I've drilled holes, 5 a side and approx 10mm apart, but I can't seem to
get anything to hold. My mass has shredded shoe laces and ty-wraps.

The difference between this case and those documented on the web is that
I'm trying to lace a B66 (Universal I think) and not the more narrow
models. So I'm thinking perhaps a combination of my weight (about 210lbs)
and the distance between skirts is creating a fair force on the 'lace'.

Therefore-it follows-ergo I need sound advice from fat riders with laced
B66 saddles.

Most obliged

Keiron

Have you tried rawhide laces from a baseball glove repair kit? That's
what I've thought of as the traditional material.
Old February 12th 09, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Keiron[_2_]

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:42:21 -0800, Hank wrote:

On Feb 12, 9:15Â*am, Keiron wrote:
[...]

Hi Hank.

Well I've tried a leather shoe lace which didn't hold, which I found
surprising, perhaps it was a dodgy lace, but I had been wondering if
certain types of leather would vary in strength when used in this regard.
Struggling to find definitive info on this tho. Is rawhide particularly
strong for this application? I'm in the UK so it's, presumably, less
common but i'll pay and wait if it will be worth it. Anybody have yield
strength data of types of leather?

Cheers
Old February 12th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Feb 12, 9:15*am, Keiron wrote:
[...]

I don't have numbers but leather strips probably won't do it, though
the waxed cotton used to sew leather might. A local saddlery by
appointment to the horsy set will have various thicknesses and will
probably just give you some.

What will definitely do the job is fiberglass cord. You can it buy
from a hardware store or lawnmover repairer. They call it ripcord or
zipcord and it is the cord on a sprung drum that you pull to start the
motor. It comes in various mixed colours so you might find a tan match
for the Brooks mixed with something near your bike colour. Ask to see
the rolls.

I know about this stuff because I used to pull apart the laces of my
hiking boots the first time I put them on, or new laces would snap the
first time I twisted my foot in a crack in rockface, which was
inconvenient, not to mention dangerous. Then another large athletic
fellow wised me up to this zipcord, which he had on everything, boots,
rucksack, tent, pullcords of his goretex, even around his waist. The
point about the stuff is that it is highly abrasion-resistant but,
unlike nylon cord (aka fishing line), doesn't cut into your flesh or
your gear.

HTH.

Andre Jute
Novel uses for common products included
Old February 12th 09, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 12, 12:15*pm, Keiron wrote:
Hello all.

Got a Brooks saddle on a second hand bike which despite being moulded to
someone elses less substantial ass has been very comfortable for me.
However it quickly took on that U-Shape so I need to lace it.

I've drilled holes, 5 a side and approx 10mm apart, but I can't seem to
get anything to hold. My mass has shredded shoe laces and ty-wraps.

The difference between this case and those documented on the web is that
I'm trying to lace a B66 (Universal I think) and not the more narrow
models. So I'm thinking perhaps a combination of my weight (about 210lbs)
and the distance between skirts is creating a fair force on the 'lace'.

Therefore-it follows-ergo I need sound advice from fat riders with laced
B66 saddles.

Most obliged

Keiron

Hi there.

I resurrected an old Wrighte leather saddle by lacing it with flat
boot/skate laces. The lace lies flat along the side and does not cut
into the leather of the saddle as the saddle flexes (something thin
nylon cord might do) and it does not cause chafing as there is
virtually no protuding part. It is also easy to untie and eith loosen
or tighten if needed in the future.

Cheers from Peter

Old February 13th 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kenneth[_2_]

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:41:53 -0800 (PST), Andre Jute
wrote:

I don't have numbers but leather strips probably won't do it, though
the waxed cotton used to sew leather might. A local saddlery by
appointment to the horsy set will have various thicknesses and will
probably just give you some.

Saddlers' thread is typically waxed nylon.

What will definitely do the job is fiberglass cord. You can it buy
from a hardware store or lawnmover repairer. They call it ripcord or
zipcord and it is the cord on a sprung drum that you pull to start the
motor.

The cord used as you describe is typically braided nylon.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Old February 13th 09, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kenneth[_2_]

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 19:28:52 -0500, Kenneth
wrote:

Saddlers' thread is typically waxed nylon.

That should be waxed linen...,
--
Kenneth

Old February 13th 09, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
terryc

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:15:23 +0000, Keiron wrote:

Hello all.

Got a Brooks saddle on a second hand bike which despite being moulded to
someone elses less substantial ass has been very comfortable for me.
However it quickly took on that U-Shape so I need to lace it.

I've drilled holes, 5 a side and approx 10mm apart, but I can't seem to
get anything to hold. My mass has shredded shoe laces and ty-wraps.

I have never been ale to reshape any leather saddle by lacing it. Yes,
I use the wider models. All I've ever managed to achieve is to stop the
wings from flaring and chaffing.

Tensioned the nut?
Applied leather dressing to soften it?
Old February 13th 09, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick L Plate

De-tension it. Soak it in hot water, shape it, leave to dry held in
position. Re-tension and ride.

Lacing [email protected] Techniques 19 November 25th 07 07:24 PM
lacing brooks B66? Bill Taylor Techniques 6 October 29th 07 04:26 AM
Lacing up Brooks B.17 Luke Techniques 7 January 6th 06 03:41 PM
Rim lacing, 36 rim to 48 hub caw89 Unicycling 19 May 25th 05 03:49 PM
4 cross lacing - over, over, under, over? Bruce Lange Techniques 21 November 22nd 04 02:41 AM