Best waterproof jacket and trousers

Old February 12th 09, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TerryJ

Default Best waterproof jacket and trousers

http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/

Wow, i've never seen those before. Ingenious!

Didn't James Bond wear them in his latest film?
Old February 15th 09, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
obelix1664

Thanks for all the tips and various options.

I had never seen rainlegs before, they look good but wouldn't be suitable as
I have wear uniform trousers to work, so if it comes on to rain only a full
length trouser will do.

I had already decided to go with sealskinz socks, instead of overshoes to
stop my feet getting wet.

I realise that lights are also very important, given the time of night that
I will be cycling home and thought that I might invest in a set of these
from Wiggle;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Ca...et/5360025771/

I know that there are much dearer sets available, but for the length of
journey and the roads that I will be travelling on, I think that these will
fit the bill, however I am open to suggestions as before.

So, thanks again.

Old February 16th 09, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Sinclair

obelix1664 wrote:
I realise that lights are also very important, given the time of night that
I will be cycling home and thought that I might invest in a set of these
from Wiggle;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Ca...et/5360025771/

I know that there are much dearer sets available, but for the length of
journey and the roads that I will be travelling on, I think that these will
fit the bill, however I am open to suggestions as before.

As a previous owner of the EL530 I would not recommend it.

I had one last winter, and it lasted less than 6 months before the
bracket disintegrated. I replaced it with a Fenix torch which is more
than twice as bright with a better beam pattern for less money. It is
also made of aluminium rather than extra fragile plastic.

For the budget you are looking at I would recommend a Fenix torch and
handlebar adaptor like this:
http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torc...ix_l2d_q5.html
http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/lockblock.html

For rear lighting, you can;t beat this for the money:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Sm...ht/5360026001/

Andy
Old February 16th 09, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
obelix1664

As a previous owner of the EL530 I would not recommend it.

I had one last winter, and it lasted less than 6 months before the
bracket disintegrated. I replaced it with a Fenix torch which is more
than twice as bright with a better beam pattern for less money. It is
also made of aluminium rather than extra fragile plastic.

For the budget you are looking at I would recommend a Fenix torch and
handlebar adaptor like this:
http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torc...ix_l2d_q5.html
http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/lockblock.html

For rear lighting, you can;t beat this for the money:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Sm...ht/5360026001/

Andy

Thanks for the advice about the Cateye Andy, I hadn't heard of Fenixtorch,
but it seems that it will more than fit the bill and within my price
range..The same applies to the backlight, thanks again for both
recommendations.

Mark.

Old February 17th 09, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Frood

obelix1664 wrote:
[...]

As an alternative to the Fenix, see if your local Tesco has stock of
their AA 3W LED torch. They don't have the flashing mode, but are
stonkingly good value at less than a tenner. One on its own is quite
adequate for unlit country lanes at reasonable speed. Buy a pair, and a
pair of lockblocks from eBay. For just over £30 you'll have far more
light up front than you'll ever need (much brighter than even the high
end lighting of a couple of years ago), and full redundancy in case of
failure or dead batteries.
This arrangement is now being used by a lot of very serious Audaxers.