2 second rule on motorways

Old February 14th 12, 08:57 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.sheds
Peter Keller[_3_]

Default 2 second rule on motorways

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 23:44:35 -0800, Doug wrote:

-- .
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

No it isn't

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.
Old February 14th 12, 09:12 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.sheds
Skipweasel[_2_]

In article , phil@lee-
family.me.uk says...
But it will save a fortune in fuel, tyres, brake pads/discs and
general wear & tear.

Talking of which - I have my MOT this morning and it occured to me that
the brake pads have been on for the last three years - that's about 45k
and when I checked them while replacing a handbrake cable[1] there's
still plenty on 'em.

[1] Front wheel handbrake.

Old February 14th 12, 09:37 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.sheds
R C Nesbit

Alex Heney spoke:
I'm not aware of any motorways in the Uk where you join from a
non-motorway directly into the outside lane (wrongly described as the
"fast lane" by the pillock above).

Ahem
Do keep up at the back!

"Unless it was in Glasgow where the slip road from the A82 onto the M8
drops you into lane 3"

http://g.co/maps/2tck9

http://g.co/maps/fb4yu

--
Rab C. Nesbit
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.

Old February 14th 12, 09:39 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.sheds
ian

"Doug" wrote in message
On Feb 13, 9:30 am, Nightjar
wrote:
On 13/02/2012 06:20, Doug wrote:

crap

**** off, Doug. You never drive on motorways so you have no relevant
experience.

Go and join uk.rec.brio-wooden-railways or something similar.

Old February 14th 12, 09:48 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.sheds
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message ,
Skipweasel writes
In article , phil@lee-
family.me.uk says...
But it will save a fortune in fuel, tyres, brake pads/discs and
general wear & tear.

Talking of which - I have my MOT this morning and it occured to me that
the brake pads have been on for the last three years - that's about 45k
and when I checked them while replacing a handbrake cable[1] there's
still plenty on 'em.

[1] Front wheel handbrake.

In all the cars I've had, I think that the only time I've ever had to
change the brakeshoes and pads was when I hadn't had the car from new.
And, once I had replaced them, I don't recall ever having to change them
again.

The last company car I had, I had from new. When I had to hand it back,
it had done 65,000 miles (admittedly of motorway driving), and you could
see that the front disc pads still had very little wear.

Also, I've only ever had to have one new clutch plate. It wasn't because
it was worn out. The problem was that it had stuck on the driveshaft
splines (because of a thin film of surface rust). Apparently, it was a
very unusual fault. The old plate still had plenty of thickness left
but, as the car had done around 60,000 miles, was replaced as a matter
of course.
--
Ian
Old February 14th 12, 10:07 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.sheds
Nightjar

On 14/02/2012 07:36, Doug wrote:
On Feb 13, 9:30 am,
wrote:
On 13/02/2012 06:20, Doug wrote:

On Feb 13, 2:26 am,
wrote:
On 13/02/2012 00:40, Mr. Bean wrote:

I feel that that at 70mph, the 2 sec rule between cars is an inadequate
time to avoid a pile up.I would say more like 4 secs.

Two seconds is a pessimistic estimate of the perception and reaction
time of the average driver and is intended to ensure that you don't
drive into the back of the vehicle in front before you realise it is
doing something other than continuing along the road at the same speed.
It is not intended as a stopping distance, which would actually be close
to a three second gap, using the Highway Code's average stopping
distance table (stopping distance from 70mph = 315 feet : 70mph = 102
feet per second).

If you prefer a larger gap, there is nothing to stop you leaving one.

Except when your gap is taken by another impatient and dangerous
motorist.

That will happen with a two second gap as well. You simply drop back and
leave the same gap behind that one. It doesn't make any significant
difference to the journey time.

Agreed but it can add to the frustration as more and more drivers get
in front of you.

As I said, it makes no significant difference to the journey time, so
why should it create any frustration?

Maybe too it can make all the difference at red
lights where you can be further delayed....

Not many red lights on motorways and, in any case, the maximum
recommended red period for any light is 120 seconds - hardly a major delay.

Colin Bignell
Old February 14th 12, 10:10 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.sheds
Nightjar

On 14/02/2012 08:12, Skipweasel wrote:
In , phil@lee-
family.me.uk says...
But it will save a fortune in fuel, tyres, brake pads/discs and
general wear& tear.

Talking of which - I have my MOT this morning and it occured to me that
the brake pads have been on for the last three years - that's about 45k
and when I checked them while replacing a handbrake cable[1] there's
still plenty on 'em.

[1] Front wheel handbrake.

I think that, when they had to find a replacement for asbestos in brake
pads and shoes, they actually ended up with something that wore much better.

Colin Bignell
Old February 14th 12, 10:12 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.sheds
jnugent

On 14/02/2012 09:07, Nightjar wrote:
On 14/02/2012 07:36, Doug wrote:
On Feb 13, 9:30 am,
wrote:
On 13/02/2012 06:20, Doug wrote:

On Feb 13, 2:26 am,
wrote:
[...]

That depends on how many sets you meet per mile.
Old February 14th 12, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Feb 13, 10:36*pm, Alex Heney wrote:
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 05:41:05 -0000, Skipweasel
wrote:

In article ef05ab79-903e-4783-87eb-
,
says...
I've just watched a piece in iPlayer where a motorist bounced off the
central barrier, risking the lives of all around him, *just after
joining a motorway. His excuse? He hit lying water at 75mph and lost
it. "But at motorway speeds in the fast lane that you've just joined
you don't have a chance to react," he said.

Then bloody slow down, especially in rain, and when joining a motorway
don't jump straight into the overtaking lanes, you pillock!

Depending on the circumstances, he might just have a point.

If the traffic on the motorway is travelling at that speed, then that's
the speed at which you have to travel /to get on/.

I'm not aware of any motorways in the Uk where you join from a
non-motorway directly into the outside lane (wrongly described as the
"fast lane" by the pillock above).

Indeed - it is correctly known as the second overtaking lane.

--
Simon Mason
Old February 14th 12, 10:46 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.sheds
R C Nesbit

Tony Haynes spoke:
The problem with the 2 second rolling gap theory is, at speed, in
multiple shunts, that gap rapidly decreases and the car in front could
almost suddenly stop dead. You won't.... or will... as the case may
be. In bad weather especially the gap should be far greater. If you
don't think so then perhaps you should give up your licence?

Unfortunately most drivers simply drive and observe to the car in front
rather than beyond as far as possible.

In many circumstances I've seen a problem develop several furlongs ahead
and started to slow (without brakes) and drivers behind tend to get
aggravated.