Yet Another Bike Shop

Old June 17th 13, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Yet Another Bike Shop

Another PDX bike shop -- this one about a half-mile from my house.
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...uct_of_fa.html

If Portland were a dog, and LBS were fleas, the dog would die due to
blood loss.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 17th 13, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/16/2013 7:35 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
Another PDX bike shop -- this one about a half-mile from my house.
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...uct_of_fa.html

If Portland were a dog, and LBS were fleas, the dog would die due to
blood loss.

-- Jay Beattie.

I wondered how the heck a startup in a crowded market gets a
Bianchi dealership. Then I zoomed in. The green one's not a
Bianchi and I think that's his personal fleet on the rack,
not new bikes.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 17th 13, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...rlingame_bikes...

If Portland were a dog, and LBS were fleas, the dog would die due to
blood loss.

-- Jay Beattie.

I wondered how the heck a startup in a crowded market gets a
Bianchi dealership. Then I zoomed in. The green one's not a
Bianchi and I think that's his personal fleet on the rack,
not new bikes.

Yes, the guy's niche is "classic" steel frames and a cabinet full of
old and NOS stuff. Small stock so far. I stopped by to chat with the
owner and his son. They're trying to be both a specialty retro shop
and and a neighborhood shop with all the usual consumables. Their
primary line is Jamis -- all road bikes. The shop has an impressive
work area and assortment of tools. I hope they can pull it off . . .
but they're going to have to work the hell out of that niche, or
they're going to have to approach it like the shop less than a mile a
way to the east that is basically a run as a hobby from what I can
tell. http://www.ensellebikes.com/

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 17th 13, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 6/16/2013 8:35 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
Another PDX bike shop -- this one about a half-mile from my house.
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...uct_of_fa.html

If Portland were a dog, and LBS were fleas, the dog would die due to
blood loss.

What they do here is a shop will get franchise rights to a brand or two
and that's what they'll sell. The shop I go to sells Specialized and
Cervello. There's another shop 1 block away selling Trek and another
not very far selling Giant. It doesn't help prices much as there's not
effectively any competition.

I prefer the old style shops I remember in the states where they would
have a few brands they specialized in but would order anything that you
want. Not sure if they exist anymore.
Old June 17th 13, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 6/17/2013 5:51 AM, Duane wrote:
On 6/16/2013 8:35 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
Another PDX bike shop -- this one about a half-mile from my house.
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...uct_of_fa.html

If Portland were a dog, and LBS were fleas, the dog would die due to
blood loss.

What they do here is a shop will get franchise rights to a brand or two
and that's what they'll sell. The shop I go to sells Specialized and
Cervello. There's another shop 1 block away selling Trek and another
not very far selling Giant. It doesn't help prices much as there's not
effectively any competition.

I prefer the old style shops I remember in the states where they would
have a few brands they specialized in but would order anything that you
want. Not sure if they exist anymore.

Still a few but not many. Manufacturers now want "tied" shops. Lately
the bikes I need to buy for the spousal unit and child-units aren't made
by Trek or Specialized anyway and I have to go to a shop selling the
second-tier brands like Marin, Jamis, or Redline. That's fine with me.
The tied shops are doing well selling the high-priced CF road bikes and
the other shops survive (barely) selling more functional products.
Old June 17th 13, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

rain poured in sheets

streaming down the street

darkness

ahead, a neon sign blazed down a brick building

LBS LBS LBS flashed the sign

outside on the side walk

a tall man in tuxedo with long fangs for teeth...
Old June 18th 13, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Monday, 17 June 2013 19:36:48 UTC+1, datakoll wrote:
rain poured in sheets

streaming down the street

darkness

ahead, a neon sign blazed down a brick building

LBS LBS LBS flashed the sign

outside on the side walk

a tall man in tuxedo with long fangs for teeth...

just new gurgling groops messin me about, testing postingh function./

Nah, it's no good, I've already fergotton where I grabbed the button.
Old June 18th 13, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Tuesday, 18 June 2013 19:32:51 UTC+1, thirty-six wrote:
On Monday, 17 June 2013 19:36:48 UTC+1, datakoll wrote:

rain poured in sheets

streaming down the street

darkness

ahead, a neon sign blazed down a brick building

LBS LBS LBS flashed the sign

outside on the side walk

a tall man in tuxedo with long fangs for teeth...

just new gurgling groops messin me about, testing postingh function./

Nah, it's no good, I've already fergotton where I grabbed the button.

Ah, found it, is the turn over following page arrow. Stupid cnuts.
Old June 22nd 13, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

RAIN poured down the street gurgling toward the new LBS LBS sign.

Heavy rain, road surface frictionless we flowed along past 4 sea otters sitting on the curb eating shrimp take out.

Orange dots swarmed way down the street, rainproof fire flies.

A black Lincoln stretcher parking lights on parked opposite the tall tuxedo man blazing red red red under the blazing orange LBS LBS neon.

Tux held a taco ed wheel…a fiberglass rod spoked thru the hub wheel.

There was a sulfur smell from Mt Helens

Ronnie rolled up to Tux n said,
TRICK OR TREAT !
(Ron’s retarded)

Tux grumbled a deep throated laugh, “ I can use a Treat”

Ron asked: DO YOU RIDE ?

Tux, who was dry under a pouring rain, facto apparently unnoticed by Ronnie, who as I mentioned is retarded

Grumbling more deep throated laughter said,
No but my daughter does..

I jolted sideways leaving eardrums suspended as a jet engine screaming pierced out at us from the stretcher..

The thick plank LBS door ‘burst open’
A hobbling short aproned fatman holding a new fiberglass spoked wheel limped out under an umbrella

The EARPIERCING BANSHEE SCREAMING stopped…

Fatman said in a heavy German accent, ‘look, we have one in your color. Nice huh ? Jesus man, what was that noise ?

The Lincoln began SCREAMING again.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIII….

NOT TO BE CONTINUED….

Old June 22nd 13, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

On 6/21/2013 8:42 PM, datakoll wrote:
[...]

I'm impressed. Cross between Burroughs and Tom Waits.