Flat Discussion Thread

Old December 22nd 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Spoonthumb

Default Flat Discussion Thread

i would like someone to put together a list in which order to learn flat
tricks...

i can alread do full wraps and legwraps and double leg wraps...but now
i dont know were to go, outside rolls, inside rolls rolling wraps? i
just dont know

--
Spoonthumb

2nd Place )---hickflip-'O,

tugboat wrote:
You won't get hurt if you land it...

Brian O. wrote:
Maybe Santa will let you guide his sleigh on that thing come Christmas.

Uni For Christ
'GET LOST' (www.lost.eu/6c7c7)
if your reading this your UGLY
http://www.usenet.com
Old December 22nd 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jon Atwell

would anyone play a flatland uni tricks game if one was started?

--
Jon Atwell
http://www.usenet.com
Old December 22nd 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

Jon Atwell wrote:
would anyone play a flatland uni tricks game if one was started?

I would try, I dont know to many tricks yet. Sound like fun tho.

--
agentQ

*)--SmallSpin-'O,*
'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)
http://www.usenet.com
Old December 23rd 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Spoonthumb

Jon Atwell wrote:
would anyone play a flatland uni tricks game if one was started?

yes

--
Spoonthumb

2nd Place )---hickflip-'O,

Old December 23rd 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jon Atwell

haha so when i wrote that i had every intention of starting one.
but it snowed last night and when i went out to shovel off the drive
way there was tons of ice under the snow. ill try and start one here
sometime or if anyone else wants to start one that would be cool.

jon A

--
Jon Atwell
http://www.usenet.com
Old December 23rd 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
beeper

It would be nice to have flatland evolve into longer combos of tricks.

Like when I look at FL BMX. They dont do a small trick then start
pedaling, then do another. Its a long combo.

Flat would look cooler if it could be transformed into something of the
sort. I have to give props to all the flat riders out there though.
One trick alone is mad hard, let alone a whole combo. Just a thought.

--
beeper

"You learn to walk - you never want to stop.
You learn to ride - why should you stop?"
http://www.usenet.com
Old December 23rd 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Spencer Hochberg

beeper wrote:
It would be nice to have flatland evolve into longer combos of tricks.

Like when I look at FL BMX. They dont do a small trick then start
pedaling, then do another. Its a long combo.

Flat would look cooler if it could be transformed into something of the
sort. I have to give props to all the flat riders out there though.
One trick alone is mad hard, let alone a whole combo. Just a thought.

Yeah that would be cool but it would be easier on a bike since they
coast. They can make one trick go on for a long distance where we are
pretty much limited to one rev per single roll trick because of the
cranks. Flat combos are getting longer and it looks cool. Flat is still
really new and its progressing fast so I think eventually the combos
will get much longer.

--
Spencer Hochberg

'Bedford Unicycles' (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)
http://www.unicycle.tv/channel/Spenc...pencerHochberg
Spencer.Hochberg at gmail dot com
http://www.usenet.com
Old December 23rd 07, 11:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Uni-Ouly

so really all flat unicycles need is another wheel

--
Uni-Ouly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCsYZ_0HM8o

i like smilys
but am unfortinatly limited to 10
http://www.usenet.com
Old December 23rd 07, 11:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sponge

I always firmly believe that many people are looking at flatland in the
wrong way. To many people flatland is: do anything on flat ground or
even off small stairsets... that technically makes me a flatlander in
their eyes then... well, anyone is a flatlander then... haha...

Unicycle disciplines are like *mirror images of their bike
counterparts*... I mean look at trials... muni... street...
respectively: biketrials, mountain biking, and BMXing.

Flatland in unicycling is derived from flatland BMX. The key to
flatland BMX is all about *flow*. Look at how they ride? They pretty
much always keep at least one wheel on the ground rolling and do a
truck load of *rolling balance tricks*. You don't see them doing street
BMX tricks like bunnyhop-barspins or bunnyhop-tailwhips in normal
circumstances because they are considered street tricks. Thus doing
crankflips off curbs and 3 sets are not flatland. It's in the name for
pity's sake: FLAT... LAND... therefore all of it is done on a flat
plain of land. As shown in the following pictu

[image:
http://www.bmxflatlandworldcircuit.c...-IMG_1225.gif]

Most 'flatland' riders and 'flat' videos are just *mini-street*. The
only riders capable of true flatland that I have see so far a
Spencer Hochberg, Arthur Caron, Loic (to some extent), Xavier (to some
extent). There are more out there, but I haven't noticed yet,
apologies.

Spencer especially as he sees flatland in the proper light: i.e.: about
balance tricks, flow, no hops. Sure, him and Arthur do crankflips and
street tricks in their vids as a mess-around, but in the serious
flatland parts... they are fully capable of doing impressive balance
combo tricks, which many so called 'flatland' riders don't ever do.
Flatland vids are quite monotonous sometimes i.e.: unispin, pause, hop
hop hop, doubleflip, hop hop hop, 180 crankflip, bail, hop hop...
*Where's the flow? Where's the balance trick combos?*

I know a lot of so called 'flatland' riders will think I'm an 'ignorant
trials dick' that knows nothing about flat.. but hey... read what I
typed out above and think about it. I'm all for unicycling to evolve
into something truly impressive... partly the reason why I took the
effort into creating the Triton Sponge titanium frames. I take a
genuine interest in seeing things grow and evolve in the right way and
I like contributing to it by helping to un-cloud some people's opinions
and judgments.

_Someone_PLEASE_prove_me_wrong__about the general 'flatland' scene in
unicycling and bang out a proper video taken from the mold of Spencer
and Arthur's continuous rolling balance trick combos. Because to me and
many many others, it is just mini-street right now. No crankflips or
stairsets please. Just balance, rolling, and flow. No hops. BMXers
generally laugh at us, *especially at flatland*... *every* BMXer or
friend of mine that sees 'flatland' unicyclign they say: *"what the
hell, how is that flatland... it's bunch of sketchy street tricks with
no flow". *I agree with them 100% to be brutally honest. Let's see
flatland move in the right direction... go and watch Spencer's vids on
youtube and try and learn his balance combos. I'd be FAR more impressed
to see people doing 20 second clips on youtube doing one balance combo
consisting of crankrolls, legwraps, tyre-step overs etc.. rather than a
5 minute video of crankflips off 2 sets and curbs.

On a less critical note: Anyone reckon they could do megaspins on unis?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k15bb3KKOZQ
^My idea of it is: Get in a donkey kick position, but instead of
kicking the tyre backwards, do continuous backwards scuffing of the
tyre as if you are doing backwards standing 1-foot wheelwalks, but spin
in a circle whilst doing it. I chatted about this with Spencer, and
sure it is damn hard in theory, it would be sweet if someone pulled it
off.

--
Sponge

MSN: feel free to add

*"Bikes are made to do trials, unis aren't."- Joe Hodges*

*'TRITON SPONGE' (
http://tinyurl.com/2r7jk6)*
-Titanium frames, available in 19", 24", 26", 29", 36"-
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 11th 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Spoonthumb

bump...

i landed a rolling wrap finally. I can do backrolls sometimes.

@spencer/jon how long did it take you guys to get
rollingwraps/backrolls consistant?

edit:

@jon-do you ride 125mm moments or 137mm moments?

--
Spoonthumb

nimbus x street fund-$220 out of $360
Triball wrote:
I learned everything I know from youtube.

\"it won't hurt if you land it\" -kevin mcmullin
2nd place )---hickflip-'o,
4th place*)--540 unispin-'o,*
uni for christ
'get lost' (www.lost.eu/6c7c7)