Favorite grease cleaning methods

Old March 25th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JCrowe

Default Favorite grease cleaning methods

Hi Folks,

I am wondering what people here recommend for cleaning
greasy, dirty chains, derailleur parts, chainrings, hub
innards, bottom bracket innards etc. I have used many things
in the past, but the modern citrus based options just don't
do the job for me. Thanks in advance for any pointers....

Respectfully,
JCrowe
Old March 25th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 25, 1:20*pm, JCrowe wrote:
Hi Folks,

* * I am wondering what people here recommend for cleaning
greasy, dirty chains, derailleur parts, chainrings, hub
innards, bottom bracket innards etc. I have used many things
in the past, but the modern citrus based options just don't
do the job for me. Thanks in advance for any pointers....

Learning to help oneself is a skill often recommended by libertarians,
but rarely followed.

http://tinyurl.com/2gkwmj
Old March 25th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

JCrowe wrote:
I am wondering what people here recommend for cleaning
greasy, dirty chains, derailleur parts, chainrings, hub
innards, bottom bracket innards etc. I have used many things
in the past, but the modern citrus based options just don't
do the job for me. Thanks in advance for any pointers....

We use alcohol, sold as 'automotive brake wash' in Milwaukee Sure Shot
sprayers.
http://www.sureshotsprayer.com/about.htm

We buy 35-gal drums but auto parts stores sell in smaller containers.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old March 25th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I used performance bike degreaser and happy with it. A bottle will last
about 4 to 5 years. I have tried brake cleaner, (kind you get at kragens,
White Gas[coleman camping fluid,] Simple Green).
You can mix it at different ratios for different greasy situations. And
washes away with water, bio degradable.
Link:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

Old March 25th 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

i like to throw it in the trash
Old March 26th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Mar 25, 7:23*pm, datakoll wrote:
i like to throw it in the trash

ahm halfway thru muh sweet potato
Ahm glad you asked that. So mnay screw this up good.
first! avoid solvents
scrape, pry, wipe with old rag. Live in Arizona? let it sit in the sun
to dry out.
a smal piece? place in bottle jug 5 gallon oil jug with paint thinner
and slosh with top closed.
leave sit. sometimes for years.
pull out from the still thinner leaving the grit on bottom pull out
with pliers and lay in sun ona newpaper off course NOT IN THE DIRT
we're above the MDL here.
generally that does it un;less ura painting or applying locktite or
resin or sealant or whatever then go to CHOH again in closed container
then even better rinse CHOH with Acetone closed container. Acetone is
handled upwind hand holding piece thru aluminum foil which is dandy
for covering the tomato juice can holding the 'tone.
rusty pieces are best cleaned past the CHOH then soaked or brushed
with Tide paste-the detergent.
and rinsed with a hose hehehe turn the water on first.
I AHVE SPOKEN
Old March 26th 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Taylor

I use paint thinner or white kerosene. If I am in a hurry I'll rinse
with gasoline. If I am in a real hurry, I will rinse with lacquer
thinner, being respectful of effect on plastic and paint.

The kerosene can be used over and over, just let it sit until the grit
settles out, then decant the top and discard the crud.

I recommend using nitrile gloves when using any of the above solvents.
Also good ventilation and away from sources of ignition.
Old March 26th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Mar 25, 9:05 pm, Bill Taylor wrote:
I use paint thinner or white kerosene. If I am in a hurry I'll rinse
with gasoline. If I am in a real hurry, I will rinse with lacquer
thinner, being respectful of effect on plastic and paint.

The kerosene can be used over and over, just let it sit until the grit
settles out, then decant the top and discard the crud.

I recommend using nitrile gloves when using any of the above solvents.
Also good ventilation and away from sources of ignition.

Is kero sold in different grades or something? Some (bulk buy for
heaters) seems to work much better than others (1 litre bottles sold
for lamps.)

I'm using a 'green' solvent currently, but have used 'varsol' and
kerosene in the past. Since I rotate 2 chains, speed isn't as much an
issue as the effect on the metal, which is the drawback of the green
stuff - I have to set a timer and rinse it off after20 minutes or so,
which does a rather half-done job. I'm tempted to go to bleach and an
ultrasonic vibrator.
Old March 26th 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JCrowe

Brian Huntley wrote:
On Mar 25, 9:05 pm, Bill Taylor wrote:
I use paint thinner or white kerosene. If I am in a hurry I'll rinse
with gasoline. If I am in a real hurry, I will rinse with lacquer
thinner, being respectful of effect on plastic and paint.

The kerosene can be used over and over, just let it sit until the grit
settles out, then decant the top and discard the crud.

I recommend using nitrile gloves when using any of the above solvents.
Also good ventilation and away from sources of ignition.

Is kero sold in different grades or something? Some (bulk buy for
heaters) seems to work much better than others (1 litre bottles sold
for lamps.)

Bill's advice about use of nitrile gloves is spot on. I have used
kerosene but really don't like the stuff very much....it's not really
very effective and it's nasty stuff.

I'm using a 'green' solvent currently, but have used 'varsol' and
kerosene in the past.

Thanks for mentioning Varsol, which I have used in the past and
found very effective. It's much more difficult to obtain now but it
is an ExxonMobil product so perhaps one can find it somewhere. Anybody
use mineral spirits? Since I do woodworking, I have it available and
may give it a try and report back later.

Since I rotate 2 chains, speed isn't as much an
issue as the effect on the metal, which is the drawback of the green
stuff - I have to set a timer and rinse it off after20 minutes or so,
which does a rather half-done job.

By green stuff are you referring to Simple Green? As I posted
originally I'm not impressed with the citrus based degreasers..they
are not really very effective. Anyway, thanks for the useful comments.

Old March 26th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hobbes@spnb&s.com

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 03:00:55 GMT, JCrowe wrote:

Brian Huntley wrote:
[...]

I've used mineral spirits and it works pretty well. Not as nasty as some of the
others. Also use it mixed with chainsaw oil as a lube.

Ron

Locking methods? Jimwahhh Unicycling 11 June 15th 07 10:39 PM
Phil Wood Grease vs Pedros' Syn Grease Llatikcuf Techniques 3 August 15th 05 05:46 PM
Your methods of transportation? e39m5 Unicycling 8 June 27th 05 01:09 PM
To grease, or not to grease? - Seatpost Leon Techniques 4 June 18th 05 12:22 AM
Carbon parts: to grease or not to grease??? ccrider Techniques 9 May 27th 04 11:39 PM