vulcanizing cement / chain lube

Old June 10th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default vulcanizing cement / chain lube

Is there a way to buy vulcanizing cement or an equivalent product in
bulk? I'd like to be able to patch a large number of inner tubes -
over time, not all at once, so there is concern about it going bad.

I'm thinking along the lines of a cottage hobby doing simple repairs
like patching flats and cleaning and lubing chains. Is there a better
way than just buying a couple hundred patch kits?

Also, chain lube costs about $10 / 4oz. which is $320 / gallon. I
realize that modern lubes have complicated formulas that balance
penetration and durability. However, is there a bulk source of decent
lube that is more reasonable. Or perhaps some alternative industrial
lube that performs similarly?

thank you,
Brett
Old June 10th 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 10, 12:03*pm, wrote:
Is there a way to buy vulcanizing cement or an equivalent product in
bulk? *I'd like to be able to patch a large number of inner tubes -
over time, not all at once, so there is concern about it going bad.

I'm thinking along the lines of a cottage hobby doing simple repairs
like patching flats and cleaning and lubing chains. *Is there a better
way than just buying a couple hundred patch kits?

Also, chain lube costs about $10 / 4oz. *which is $320 / gallon. *I
realize that modern lubes have complicated formulas that balance
penetration and durability. *However, is there a bulk source of decent
lube that is more reasonable. *Or perhaps some alternative industrial
lube that performs similarly?

Elmer's rubber cement and Valvoline. Don't mix up
the two containers, or you'll have lubricated tubes and
a sticky chain.

Ben
Old June 10th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:03:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Is there a way to buy vulcanizing cement or an equivalent product in
bulk? I'd like to be able to patch a large number of inner tubes -
over time, not all at once, so there is concern about it going bad.

I'm thinking along the lines of a cottage hobby doing simple repairs
like patching flats and cleaning and lubing chains. Is there a better
way than just buying a couple hundred patch kits?

Also, chain lube costs about $10 / 4oz. which is $320 / gallon. I
realize that modern lubes have complicated formulas that balance
penetration and durability. However, is there a bulk source of decent
lube that is more reasonable. Or perhaps some alternative industrial
lube that performs similarly?

thank you,
Brett

Dear Brett,

Eight ounce can of Rema patch glue with brush in cap, $9.95:

http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id...item_id=RE-203

A hundred small Rema patches for 700c, $14.75:

http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id...item_id=RE-F0P

A hundred larger Rema patches for large tubes, $14.75:

http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id...item_id=RE-F1P

I'm on my third box of patches and the same can of glue.

Keep in mind that most bike shops just replace punctured tubes. A new
bike tube is so cheap and quick that it makes more sense for a
business than patching.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old June 10th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jun 10, 3:03 pm, wrote:

Also, chain lube costs about $10 / 4oz. which is $320 / gallon. I
realize that modern lubes have complicated formulas that balance
penetration and durability.

:-) Yep. And high tech frames balance rigidity and compliance! It's
like magic!

However, is there a bulk source of decent
lube that is more reasonable. Or perhaps some alternative industrial
lube that performs similarly?

Someone needs to sneak around the back of the Phil Wood factory and
read the labels on the big 55 gallon drums. You know, the ones from
which they fill the cute little "Tenacious Oil" bottles.

My guess is that they say "Chainsaw bar & chain oil [generic]."

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 10th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

wrote in message
Is there a way to buy vulcanizing cement or an equivalent product in
bulk? I'd like to be able to patch a large number of inner tubes -
over time, not all at once, so there is concern about it going bad.

Also, chain lube costs about $10 / 4oz. which is $320 / gallon.

Hey, way hard requirements:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz239/03/ 8 ounces less than $4 This is like glue -
man.
Regular motor oil is great for a chain and costs a couple of bucks for
enough to last the rest of your life.

Old June 11th 08, 09:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Mittelstaedt

wrote in message
Is there a way to buy vulcanizing cement or an equivalent product in
bulk? I'd like to be able to patch a large number of inner tubes -
over time, not all at once, so there is concern about it going bad.

Take an old inner tube and cut it into patches. Use rubber cement
from the office supply store. It's exactly the same stuff in the tube
patch kits.

Ted

Old June 11th 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Also, chain lube costs about $10 / 4oz. *which is $320 / gallon. *I
realize that modern lubes have complicated formulas that balance
penetration and durability. *However, is there a bulk source of decent
lube that is more reasonable. *Or perhaps some alternative industrial
lube that performs similarly?

thank you,
Brett

A home brew lube that is popular on another cycling forum is comprised
of one part synthetic motor oil to 3 or 4 parts odorless mineral
spirits. The OMS acts as a thinning agent and carrier to aid in the
lube penetrating the chain. If you commit a full quart of oil, you
can produce a gallon of lube for about $10.

Pat Clancy
Old June 12th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
smokey

On Jun 10, 12:03*pm, wrote:
Is there a way to buy vulcanizing cement or an equivalent product in
bulk? *I'd like to be able to patch a large number of inner tubes -
over time, not all at once, so there is concern about it going bad.

I'm thinking along the lines of a cottage hobby doing simple repairs
like patching flats and cleaning and lubing chains. *Is there a better
way than just buying a couple hundred patch kits?

Also, chain lube costs about $10 / 4oz. *which is $320 / gallon. *I
realize that modern lubes have complicated formulas that balance
penetration and durability. *However, is there a bulk source of decent
lube that is more reasonable. *Or perhaps some alternative industrial
lube that performs similarly?

thank you,
Brett

I ride quite a bit on dusty gravel roads and have had good results
with motorcycle chain lubes. Two that I have used successfully are
Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector and Maxima Chain Wax. They penetrate
the links then dry to a waxy coating after 20 minutes or so that does
not attract dust nearly as much as a wet lube. A can lasts for a long
time on a bicycle.

Smokey
Old July 26th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ablang

Found this:

Rema Patches F1-P 25mm 100/Box
* 25mm
* 100/Box

$14.43

http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...oducts_id=4384

Old July 26th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:03:18 -0700 (PDT), Ablang
wrote:

Found this:

Rema Patches F1-P 25mm 100/Box
* 25mm
* 100/Box

$14.43

http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...oducts_id=4384

Dear Ab,

Those are scalloped-edge F1-P 25 mm patches and will work for wider
MTB tubes:

http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id...item_id=RE-F1P

But they won't fit very well on narrower tubes--they're wider than the
tube when you flatten it out.

For narrower road tires, you want the smaller F0-P 20 mm patches,
which have a round rather than scalloped edge:

http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id...item_id=RE-F0P

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

what chain lube to use? bdbafh Techniques 0 May 8th 08 05:22 PM
Dry chain lube [email protected] Techniques 6 April 5th 07 03:20 AM
chain lube? AP UK 51 January 9th 07 12:07 PM
CHAIN LUBE CHAIN LUBE CHAIN LUBE [email protected] Techniques 0 March 19th 05 03:52 PM
Chain lube - when to.... AC UK 12 June 8th 04 07:29 PM