cycling gloves- questions

Old January 28th 09, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
patrick

Default cycling gloves- questions

What are riders preferences in cycling gloves. Leather palm (what
kind of leather), synthetic leather and about padding (the
conventional foam or the gel, or none) Then, if leather , what about
the care of the gloves, and how long of a life do the gloves have
before replacement. I'm currently using a pair of harbor freight tools
antivibration fingerless gloves- leather (10 bucks US) for about
100-130 miles/week. I recall a pair of deerskin leather (cannondale)
gloves I had moons ago that seemed to last forever with ordinary care.
Thanks Pat
Old January 28th 09, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I'm using my fingerless DTE waterskiing gloves.
I liked that the palm was not padded, but I get protection from wind on cold
days, and grip on long rides.
I don't know what to say this is the only pair that I have
used so far. They were 14 bucks, I think comparable to
cycling gloves. I wouldn't know the from all the other brands, but it is an
improvement over all the years of
riding with bare hands.
Also a glove offers some protection on a fall. I like that
if I fall I have something to take the scraping instead of my
hand. I mostly ride road, but on occasion, ride dirt.
I gloves that I have are like a suede palm, and suede on top of the thumb
and three fingers (sides have nylon) and pinky is stretch nylon on top.
I have just worn them to death.

Old January 28th 09, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On Jan 28, 1:56*pm, patrick wrote:
*What are *riders preferences in cycling gloves. Leather palm (what
kind of leather), synthetic leather and about padding (the
conventional foam or the gel, or none) Then, if leather , what about
the care of the gloves, and how long of a life do the gloves have
before replacement. I'm currently using a pair of harbor freight tools
antivibration fingerless gloves- leather (10 bucks US) for about
100-130 miles/week. *I recall a pair of *deerskin leather (cannondale)
gloves I had moons ago that seemed to last forever with ordinary care.
Thanks Pat

Sounds like you like leather. I say stick to what works! You don't
need to buy "cycling" specific stuff. If those $10 harbor freight
leather gloves work, at that price buy a bunch and RIDE!

For cold weather, I like wool. I have wool arm and leg warmers
(Kucharik) to keep warm. For gloves, I found a pair of Fox River with
the little dots for like $9 at a Yosemite gift shop. Works great in
cold weather, although it might not be much use in the snow. Then
again, I live in San Francisco and don't hafve to worry about that.
Good Luck!
Old January 28th 09, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:56:47 -0800 (PST), patrick
wrote:

What are riders preferences in cycling gloves. Leather palm (what
kind of leather), synthetic leather and about padding (the
conventional foam or the gel, or none) Then, if leather , what about
the care of the gloves, and how long of a life do the gloves have
before replacement. I'm currently using a pair of harbor freight tools
antivibration fingerless gloves- leather (10 bucks US) for about
100-130 miles/week. I recall a pair of deerskin leather (cannondale)
gloves I had moons ago that seemed to last forever with ordinary care.
Thanks Pat

No padding. Synthetic leather.

Old January 28th 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:38:01 -0800 (PST), bfd
wrote:

On Jan 28, 1:56=A0pm, patrick wrote:
=A0What are =A0riders preferences in cycling gloves. Leather palm (what
kind of leather), synthetic leather and about padding (the
conventional foam or the gel, or none) Then, if leather , what about
the care of the gloves, and how long of a life do the gloves have
before replacement. I'm currently using a pair of harbor freight tools
antivibration fingerless gloves- leather (10 bucks US) for about
100-130 miles/week. =A0I recall a pair of =A0deerskin leather (cannondale=

)
gloves I had moons ago that seemed to last forever with ordinary care.
Thanks Pat

Sounds like you like leather. I say stick to what works! You don't
need to buy "cycling" specific stuff. If those $10 harbor freight
leather gloves work, at that price buy a bunch and RIDE!

Yeah. And very nice non-cycling specific gloves for cooler weather
are by Mechanix

http://garage.mechanix.com/SearchRes...x?CategoryID=1

I've got the Original and Original Vent and they are nice.
Comfortable, tough and no padding.

Old January 29th 09, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

Also a glove offers some protection on a fall. I like that
if I fall I have something to take the scraping instead of my
hand. I mostly ride road, but on occasion, ride dirt.

Gloves provide more than "some" protection in a fall. I'd say it's
pretty significant. My most-recent encounter with the ground resulted in
a busted bone at the base of the thumb (Bennett's Fracture) but no torn
skin, and the opportunity was there for a pretty severe laceration.

We talk an awful lot about helmets as safety equipment, but I'll bet
gloves, while difficult to make a case for being life-saving (and we're
not debating at the moment whether a helmet actually will save a life,
only saying that nobody's going to claim a glove will), can make a huge
difference in how long and how well you'll recover from a fall. There's
a natural instinct to brace yourself with your hands. Perhaps if we'd
consider throwing our helmeted heads at the ground as we fell, we might
avoid many other possible injuries. But until we're willing to do that
(which might prove difficult to force ourselves to do!), gloves play a
very important role.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old January 29th 09, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

wrote:
What are *riders preferences in cycling gloves. Leather palm (what
kind of leather), synthetic leather and about padding (the
conventional foam or the gel, or none) Then, if leather , what about
the care of the gloves, and how long of a life do the gloves have
before replacement. I'm currently using a pair of harbor freight tools
antivibration fingerless gloves- leather (10 bucks US) for about
100-130 miles/week. *I recall a pair of *deerskin leather (cannondale)
gloves I had moons ago that seemed to last forever with ordinary care.
Thanks Pat

No padding. *Synthetic leather.

I like padding, but not that gel stuff. I bought a pair of Descent
cold weather gloves on sale at REI while in the middle of a ride (took
wrong pair of gloves), and I do not like them because they do not have
enough padding, and the interior of the glove is not firmly attached
to the exterior. You get glove "squirm" in the palms which is
annoying. I much prefer my PI Amphib gloves for cold weather,
although they are bulky. As for short finger cycling gloves, I just
buy whatever is cheap since they all seem to give me about the same
comfort, again excluding gel gloves. -- Jay Beattie.
Old January 29th 09, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris[_12_]

Synthetic leather usually, with little to no padding. Personally, I
like older Answer BMX gloves, but they are impossible to find.

Chris
Old January 29th 09, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hi mike,

I hope you are healing up. I was actually reading your article on
chainreaction today. I got a bike from your los altos store some years back,
I check in to read the almost daily ride sometimes.
Not to go off topic mike;
I had an accident on a down hill about a mile up from alice's restaurant. I
am pretty sure I was going over 30 somewhere around 35. I ran over something
slippery on a turn, causing a fishtail. My first instinct was to rear break,
which locked and I began to find my rear tire on the left of me but
following the road with my front tire. I let the brake go and immediately
shot 90 degrees to the right into a turnout. Needless to say that I didn't
want go over the bank and into the redwoods, I tried turning to see if I
could make it back on the pavement(and there was gravel/dirt) I was heading
into the rail, which would have been as bad or worse than going into the
redwoods. I made the decision to hit both brakes, and take a scraping full
body length rather than the rail and broken body.
Both tires locked up and the bike like popped up 2 inches and I went down. I
could see that my hand was going to get smashed so I pulled it away at the
last, and I went down on my left side. I got right up, but my left arm was
heavy, not broken but I couldn't lift it. And thanks to a man driving behind
me stopped and asked me if I wanted a ride and I was telling him I don't
think so. Then I decided that well I can't move my arm, so yes, I'll take
that ride. I wasn't sure if I was hurt yet. I threw the bike into his van
and sat there and he drove me home. I still was not in any serious pain but
I noticed something sharp under the skin on my left shoulder. Turned out to
be my colar bone broke. The doctors kept me there for a while and sent me
home. Later they called me to come back to the hospital, and I had a
punctured lung( they looked at the x-rays).
Couple days later I noticed that I had a bruise on my head, with a little
sensitivity there too. I hadn't even thought that I had hit my head. NOW
HERE IS why I am telling the story, anyway since nobody seems to think
helmets are life savers, I took a look at the inside of my helmet- cause the
outside looked ok. The whole inside was cracked, top, bottom, side.
It could have cost me my life, or brain damage, and don't forget that I have
no insurance and paid all the bills, if I got a head injury it would have
cost at least $50,000, and that my fellows is a reason to wear a helmet.
Hope all is well with you mike

Old January 29th 09, 07:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 29 jan, 05:57, "g" wrote:

Couple days later I noticed that I had a bruise on my head, with a little
sensitivity there too. I hadn't even thought that I had hit my head. NOW
HERE IS why I am telling the story, anyway since nobody seems to think
helmets are life savers, I took a look at the inside of my helmet- cause the
outside looked ok. The whole inside was cracked, top, bottom, side.
It could have cost me my life, or brain damage, and don't forget that I have
no insurance and paid all the bills, if I got a head injury it would have
cost at least $50,000, and that my fellows is a reason to wear a helmet.
Hope all is well with you mike

Why do people think that when the helmet is damaged after a fall they
would have been killed if they hadn't wear one?
Why don't you have insurance? Can you cover $50000 because a helmet
can not always prevent a serious injury?

Lou, not anti helmet but knows their limitations

Waterproof cycling gloves Stevie Plunder UK 12 November 26th 08 08:44 AM
3 Pair Used Used Cycling Gloves David White Marketplace 0 September 7th 06 08:32 PM
3 Pair Used Used Cycling Gloves David White Marketplace 0 September 7th 06 08:25 PM
Cycling Gloves Bob C Australia 1 March 28th 05 06:14 AM
re cycling gloves Lisa30 UK 12 August 22nd 04 10:23 PM