Police in London attack critical mass

Old October 7th 05, 10:01 AM
MartinM

Default Police in London attack critical mass

Tony Raven wrote:
David Hansen wrote:
On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 22:24:40 +0100 someone who may be Tony Raven
wrote this:-

David Hansen wrote:
I am surprised not to have noticed anything here on the police
attack on Critical Mass outlined in various places,
You didn't notice http://snipurl.com/i7uz then.

A thread entitled "first Critical Mass" was of no interest to me.

Well perhaps its no surprise you have not noticed anything here on a
Critical Mass if threads with Critical Mass in the subject line are of
no interest to you.

perhaps it should have said "last Critical Mass"

Old October 7th 05, 10:04 AM
John Hearns

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 01:49:30 -0700, findaddress wrote:

In case anyone is in any doubt as to where, politically, the sympathies of
the police lay, perhaps they should take time out to ponder the 'zero
tolerance' campaigns against cyclists conducted by the City police and so
on, whilst often showing studied disinterest when drivers break the law or
injuer and even kill cyclists.

Please do two things:

a) actually go on a Critical Mass

b) speak to one of the good-natured and helpful bicycle mounted police
who accompany the ride every month

Old October 7th 05, 10:26 AM

Hi John,

I am not saying that there aren't some decent coppers out there (even
if many seem of the same authoritarian mindset as Sniper 8052 above).
The biggest failings occur at higher levels. I do realise that most
police officers even when they behave badly can truthfully claim that
'we were only following orders' . I am not sure that this is a complete
excuse though for some of police actions, and especially failures to
act, which I have seen in my time.

I have taken part in CM events, not in London though. Believe me, if I
hadn't left the UK because I was sick of living in an increasingly
right-wing, authoritarian and car-centric country I would be there on
the next London CM.

Old October 7th 05, 10:34 AM
sothach

I do realise that most police officers even when they behave badly can truthfully claim
that 'we were only following orders'

sounds familiar...

I have taken part in CM events, not in London though. Believe me, if I
hadn't left the UK because I was sick of living in an increasingly
right-wing, authoritarian and car-centric country I would be there on
the next London CM.

Did you find somewhere on this planet to which the above doesn't apply?
Any room left?
- rory

Old October 7th 05, 10:59 AM
elyob

"MartinM" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote this:-

David Hansen wrote:
I am surprised not to have noticed anything here on the police
attack on Critical Mass outlined in various places,
You didn't notice http://snipurl.com/i7uz then.

A thread entitled "first Critical Mass" was of no interest to me.

Well perhaps its no surprise you have not noticed anything here on a
Critical Mass if threads with Critical Mass in the subject line are of
no interest to you.

perhaps it should have said "last Critical Mass"

Or perhaps "This is a thread about Critical Mass and the police letter".

Old October 7th 05, 11:10 AM
scotty72

For some reason the coppers decided not to show for the past CM ride in
Sydney. It was strangely quiet. Kept expecting to round a corner and
BANG!

Not so

Scotty

--
scotty72

Old October 7th 05, 11:12 AM
John Hearns

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 02:26:23 -0700, findaddress wrote:

Hi John,

I am not saying that there aren't some decent coppers out there (even if
many seem of the same authoritarian mindset as Sniper 8052 above). The
biggest failings occur at higher levels.

For some reason at the last CM I got the impression that there were people
at higher levels watching.

There was an incident where someone was pulled off onto the pavement by
two non-cycle police in caps, and my impression was they were trying to
move him away from the road. As I say, my impression only.
Old October 7th 05, 11:16 AM
MartinM

elyob wrote:
"MartinM" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote this:-

David Hansen wrote:
I am surprised not to have noticed anything here on the police
attack on Critical Mass outlined in various places,
You didn't notice http://snipurl.com/i7uz then.

A thread entitled "first Critical Mass" was of no interest to me.

Well perhaps its no surprise you have not noticed anything here on a
Critical Mass if threads with Critical Mass in the subject line are of
no interest to you.

perhaps it should have said "last Critical Mass"

Or perhaps "This is a thread about Critical Mass and the police letter".

well actually it started as my experience of having ridden it for the
first time; I had not seen the letter at the time I started the thread.

Old October 7th 05, 11:26 AM
Tony Raven

elyob wrote:
"MartinM" wrote in message
ups.com...
wrote this:-

David Hansen wrote:
I am surprised not to have noticed anything here on the police
attack on Critical Mass outlined in various places,
You didn't notice http://snipurl.com/i7uz then.
A thread entitled "first Critical Mass" was of no interest to me.

Well perhaps its no surprise you have not noticed anything here on a
Critical Mass if threads with Critical Mass in the subject line are of
no interest to you.

perhaps it should have said "last Critical Mass"

Or perhaps "This is a thread about Critical Mass and the police letter".

Or "David Hansen, yes you, our precognition software says this will be
of interest to you" ;-)

--
Tony

Anon