Durability Of Velocity Aerohead Rims In 20/24 Hole Drillings.

Old November 15th 10, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Durability Of Velocity Aerohead Rims In 20/24 Hole Drillings.

On Nov 14, 5:07*pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 14-11-2010 14:16, Chalo schreef:

AMuzi wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Most of these [hubs], and all the nice cargo bikes you found, I still file
under the heading "get anything you want, as long as you are willing
to pay anything to get it".

So your beef is with the large group of 'cyclists
worldwide'?

As Lou Holtman has already pointed out, this is not a "cyclists
worldwide" problem. *It's a USA problem. *We are deep in a vicious,
uh, cycle... such that it's difficult to use bikes for practical
transportation in a lot of parts of the USA, so the market has been
skewed towards impractical bikes. *And then people buy impractical
bikes (if they buy bikes at all) and find that cycling is not
practical transportation.

The result is observable as people carrying bikes that are neither
comfortable, nor durable, nor useful, nor affordable, nor easy to
service, on their cars. *They carry their bikes on their cars to the
outskirts of their cities where they ride them joylessly without
destination. *Oh, excuse me-- I mean "train".

Thus bicycles, possibly the most useful machines ever invented, have
made a wildly unlikely transformation into another version of Gravity
Boots or Heavy Hands for suburbanites. *And the industry has, for the
most part, played along! *It's pretty stupid and sad.

Chalo

After almost 48 hours of continuous downpoor I had to get out this
afternoon when it stopped raining. I took my camara with me and took
some pictures of bikeshops along my route. I geotagged the pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/LoetjeH/LBSTour#

Enjoy.

Lou

Very nice photographs too. Are those big roundels in the front wheels
of some city bikes for sale humongous roller brakes or pedelec motore?
-- Andre Jute
Old November 15th 10, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Nov 14, 11:53*pm, "
wrote:

So, which variety of the perfect Dutch bikes would serve perfectly in
moderately hilly Austin, Texas, as they do in pancake-flat Amsterdam?
Whichever, it would probably be good if they were all sold with floor
pumps that had accurate pressure gauges attached.
--D-y

I live among hills much like Austin's; Bandon is in fact jocularly
known as the Rome of West Cork; and I ride on hills in the
countryside. On a perfect Dutch city bike. Even my current fave bike,
though from the German firm Utopia, is in fact an updated Dutch city
bike from 1935 60mm balloons), and my other two bikes are a Gazelle
Toulouse and a Trek Benelux interpretation of the Dutch city bike
(with automatic 8-speed gearbox!) built on the deluxe version their
Navigator mountainbike frame. These bikes are perfect for the hills; I
have no problem keeping up with younger pedal pals on road bikes.

Andre Jute
Ride tall -- ride with dignity
Visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20CYCLING.html
Old November 15th 10, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
DirtRoadie

Default Threadless (Newsgroup)

On Nov 4, 4:37*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

I am considering rebuilding a set of wheels that had Alex 20/24 hole
rims. They went about 5K miles before the spokes started to pull
thorough the rims.

I am considering using these hubs and Velocity Aerohead and Aerohead
O/C rims but am wondering about the durability because of my previous
experience with the Alex rims.

I currently have a set of these Velocity rims but in 32 hole
configuration that have been flawless for the past 10K miles.

BTW, I only weigh about 160 pounds.

Who'd have thought the group itself would go threadless?
DR
Old November 15th 10, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
AMuzi

DirtRoadie wrote:
On Nov 4, 4:37 pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

I am considering rebuilding a set of wheels that had Alex 20/24 hole
rims. They went about 5K miles before the spokes started to pull
thorough the rims.

I am considering using these hubs and Velocity Aerohead and Aerohead
O/C rims but am wondering about the durability because of my previous
experience with the Alex rims.

I currently have a set of these Velocity rims but in 32 hole
configuration that have been flawless for the past 10K miles.

BTW, I only weigh about 160 pounds.

Who'd have thought the group itself would go threadless?
DR

The popular thread forms have always been BSC, Raleigh,
French, Swiss, Italian, ChaterLea and Stripped.

Makes sense to me.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old November 15th 10, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Bill Sornson[_6_]

?"DirtRoadie" wrote in message

Who'd have thought the group itself would go threadless?
DR

Google Groups, n'est-ce pas?

Old November 15th 10, 05:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Jay Beattie

On Nov 14, 3:45*pm, Chalo wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:

Chalo wrote:

We are deep in a vicious,
uh, cycle... such that it's difficult to use bikes for practical
transportation in a lot of parts of the USA, so the market has been
skewed towards impractical bikes. *And then people buy impractical
bikes (if they buy bikes at all) and find that cycling is not
practical transportation.

The result is observable as people carrying bikes that are neither
comfortable, nor durable, nor useful, nor affordable, nor easy to
service, on their cars. *They carry their bikes on their cars to the
outskirts of their cities where they ride them joylessly without
destination. *Oh, excuse me-- I mean "train".

Where can a "pracitcal bike" ride that an "impracticable bike" cannot
ride? *

On streets that have holes, fissures, bad patches, glass, debris, and/
or unimproved shortcuts. *In traffic that warrants keeping your head
up and your situational awareness on. *Y'know, just off the top of my
head. *For instance, New Orleans is one of the most rewarding places I
can think of to ride a bike, but if I lived there I would want a dual
suspension bike with armored tires.

As for driving to the outskirts of the city to ride joylessly, I find
that it is much easier to ride joylessly in the city. *

I thought you lived in Portland. *That's a nice city with a relative
abundance of pleasant sights, sounds, smells, and scenes to take in as
you roll around (as long as you don't miss them by trying too hard to
make time). *I mean, it's not Austin TX, but there is only one of
those. *I'll admit that Austin women are prettier and usually dressed
to better effect. *But Stumptown is full of pleasures.

Once outside, I
find that joy creeps up upon me, even when I am trying to be joyless.
How can you not be full of joy when riding hehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/springf...er/2253447605/

or herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_and_beth/4942676855/*

I don't know. *You could get a Power Tap, a heart rate monitor, and a
passel of goo packets and find out.

The
joyless part is riding through endless city streets on my way out to
the country.

Maybe you're just not cut out for city life.

To get to the Columbia River Gorge, you have to go east, and as Damyth
noted, it turns flat and kind of ugly. I'm fine riding it; it's just
not inspiring.

But we do have plenty of pretty in-town country. This ride is
basically downtown: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rowdykittens/4346088123/
Forest Park has lots of good riding: http://www.flickr.com/photos/iraryancycles/304037277/
That's Ira Ryan's (frame builder) commute. One of my commutes is
this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/axoplasm/4620168915/ Slippery
rocks in trail -- I was a somewhat joyless rider in the rain and fog
today going over the rocks. This trail is my way home from rides
south. It dumps out about a mile or so from my house.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICt7tOzSXKE

In fact, for totally gratuitous mostly in-town spring climbing, see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm9CW...eature=related

Most of my riding is from my doorstep. One out of 50 weekend rides
will start with a car ride. -- Jay Beattie.
Old November 15th 10, 06:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

Default The Plight of the USian Working Classes

"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
On 11/14/2010 8:22 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
Anyone who does not want to shrink government has got to have something
wrong with his brain. I am fed up with spending, no matter who is doing
it.

You would rather live in a third-world banana republic then? That is the
ultimate result of small government, libertarian fantasies besides.

Nope. I believe in lots of government regulation, but I don't want to live
in a Soviet Union either. Libertarian fantasists are no different than
Progressive fantasists. The truth is that the human condition is not
perfectible. It never was and it never will be.

The Dems could not even get us a government single payer health care
program! That would have been the only way to get health care that would
be
an improvement over what we presently have and would cost less too.
Instead
we got the worst of both worlds. Remind me never to vote for a Dem again
so
long as I live. However, the last time around I held my nose and voted
for
McCain. Needless to say I voted AGAINST every Dem this Nov.

Uh, most Democrats are right-wing corporatists, just like the Republican
branch of the single ruling party.

Well, you can either have big corporations or you can have big government. I
think individuals will have more freedom under the corporations (even if it
is freedom to starve) than they will have under big government (no
starvation maybe, but forced labor instead).

By the way, who the hell do you think is funding liberal Dems and other
progressives? Soros? Ever hear of him? He wants to level the US to the
plain
of third world countries like Kenya (Obama's true homeland). Globalism
will
mean the end of the US as we have known it.

And you think the Republicans are against this? Bahahahahahaha!

Glenn Beck is and that is the thrust of the Tea Party movement. Buchanan is
also very good on the question of globalism and what it will mean for the
US. You realize of course that I am a rabid nationalist above all else.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 15th 10, 06:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc

On Nov 14, 7:04*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
wrote);
I need a high-end mountain bike.

(E.D. replied):
You only think you do.

No no no, I really do. Lower the automatic poo-poo gun-- I live right
next to the Austin Greenbelt, which has been described by people not
from here in strong superlative terms, compared to other trails in
other places. I has rock gardens and steep little hills and tree roots
galore. Plus some mud bank and weathered rock layers. I'm not a trail
rider, but I've walked my dog plenty in there and that is the kind of
terrain where you need-- need-- some "good travel" in a suspension
bike. Sure, I've seen people ride solid rear and even a few with solid
front, too. I'm too old for that, thank you very much.

We need bikes for
getting around town in all kinds of weather
I drive in bad weather, thank you.

I need my utility trike to get around town in winter (especially for hauling
home groceries and cat food) - and I live in Minnesota!

and the Netherlands has got it
figured out perfectly. It must be nice to live in such a sensible nation.

Old November 15th 10, 06:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

Default DirtRoadie - Lack of Character?

"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
[...]
Harassing people in the real world because of a disagreement on Usenet is
about as low as it gets - do you really want to join the company of
Michael Vandeman?

Mr. Vandeman has never harassed anyone in his life. Rather, he has been the
one harassed by criminal idiot asshole mountain bikers.

I would suggest that Frank Krygowski file a harassment suit if
"DirtRoadie" contacts anyone at YSU about this. And yes "DirtRoadie",
your real identity can be found pretty easily by court order.

If DR thinks he is anonymous and cannot be traced, he is in for a rude
awakening. I must admit I have had my disagreements with Frank, but he is a
saint compared to DR. His latest long-winded post borders on being insane.
Who would read it, let alone write it?

Old November 15th 10, 06:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

Default Francis Krygowski - World Class

"DirtRoadie" wrote in message
On Nov 14, 8:24 pm, Tom Sherman °_°

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Time for you to grow up! Ad hominem attacks do not work on these newsgroups
because of the general intelligence of its members. I suggest you confine
your posts to the racing and the mountain biking groups. They are
sufficiently stupid enough to accommodate you.