Durability Of Velocity Aerohead Rims In 20/24 Hole Drillings.

Old November 17th 10, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
DirtRoadie

Default Day of the Candor

On Nov 16, 9:06*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
On 11/16/2010 2:56 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:

If you want to behave like an ass, then use your real name like Mr. Sherman and I do.

Ed Dolan is actually right about something, once again.

Old November 17th 10, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
DirtRoadie

Default Confession is good for the soul

On Nov 16, 9:08*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
On 11/15/2010 11:49 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:

"Tom Sherman *wrote in message
On 11/15/2010 12:19 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

I believe this is the first rank falsehood Mr. Sherman has ever been guilty
of.

Ed, your ignorance is showing again.

Old November 17th 10, 05:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Joy Beeson

Default Passing other cyclists

When I lived in New York, I carried a copy of the relevant traffic
laws in my map case.

Never had to show it to anybody, though.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old November 17th 10, 06:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Michael Press

Default Durability Of Velocity Aerohead Rims In 20/24 Hole Drillings.

In article ,
Tom Sherman °_° wrote:

On 11/15/2010 1:43 PM, Michael Press wrote:
In ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

On 11/14/2010 7:43 PM, Michael Press wrote:
In ,
Tom Sherman °_°twshermanREMOVE@THISsouthslope .net wrote:

On 11/14/2010 12:49 AM, Michael Press wrote:
In ,
Tom Sherman Ãâ€sˇÃ‚°_Ãâ€sˇÃ‚°twsher wrote:

On 11/12/2010 10:57 PM, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

On Nov 12, 11:58Ãâ€sˇ am, Tom Sherman Ãâ€sˇÃâ€sˇÃ‚°_à ƒÆ’â€sˇÃâ€sˇÃ‚°
wrote:
On 11/12/2010 10:49 AM, DirtRoadie wrote:
Ãâ€sˇ [...]

The classic aphorism Ãâ€sˇ "Cheap, light, strong. Pick two, " Ãâ€sˇ could be
graphically represented with each "factor" being the side of a
triangle. Ãâ€sˇ The phrase by itself Ãâ€sˇ could be misconstrued to suggest that
the only available choices are the three vertices where two "factors"
meet. More accurately, however, the range of choices is really
infinite Ãâ€sˇ and includes any point within or on the triangle's
boundaries.[...]

No, the range of choices is not infinite, since the sides of the
triangle bound the choices.

Since you seem to have insufficient mathematical background to grasp
the concept of an infinite number of points in a geometric figure (or
for that matter even a line segment), just to accommodate you I will
gladly change "infinite" to "nearly infinite" or "practically
infinite." Hopefully this brings it into the realm of your limited
understanding.

Tom Sherman never made the voyage to
the differential and integral calculus.

For example, say we are designing a rim to fit an ISO 406-mm tire. The
dimensions of the rim are bounded by it being required to both fit on
the bicycle and to fit the tire. Within those bounds, we can come up
with designs that will have a minimum and maximum volume of material.
Since we can not make a rim with a partial atom, the variations in
possible volumes will not be truly continuous. And since the number of
available materials is limited to 118 [1], there is only a finite number
of combinations possible. DUH.

[1] Current periodic table of discovered elements. The number of
elements that would actually be practical to use is of course, smaller.

Persiflage.

You are a board certified engineer without mastery
of the differential and integral calculus. You know
no more than the managers at the firms that hire you;
and maybe less.

And Mr. Press is missing the forest for the trees. We are not
discussing some abstract mathematical concept here,

Actually, somebody is. Your first mistake.

Then it is a useless discussion for application to to real world problem
of optimizing bicycle component design. But we all knew that.

Logical fallacy: petitio principii, or begging the question.

Frankly, I do not care that mathematically there are an infinite number
of possible coordinates within a triangle, when the goal is to optimize
a component.

We all knew that. That is the point.

Anyone who did real world engineering would know better
than to waste time on abstractions.

No engineer depends on the abstractions of
Leonhard Euler,
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace,
Joseph-Louis Lagrange,
Jean Baptiste Joseph Fourier,
Claude Elwood Shannon,
and Carver A. Mead.

but the possible
number of variations possible using *real* materials in a *real*
application. Mr. Press has a correct answer, but to a different
question than the one asked.

I did not supply an answer. That is your second mistake.

Mr. Press certainly implied he had an answer.

False statement.

How so?

It is false.

And by the way, all the managers in my company have to have professional
registration in a technical field.

And you do not know more than any one of them in any discipline.

Mr. Press has no knowledge either way, so he is an ass to make this claim.

Logical fallacy: argumentum ad hominem.

No

"No" to what? Do you deny arguing against the man?
The evidence is irrefutable that you do.

Mr. Press, you cast the first (veiled) insult, and I called you out
on it.

I will not take your word for it.

--
Michael Press
Old November 17th 10, 07:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

Default The Plight of the USian Working Classes

"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
On 11/15/2010 11:35 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
You are right, but even so no one can spend like the Dems. The past two
years the spending has been in the stratosphere. No other spending spree
comes close. The spending has got to stop!

I was not aware the expensive and purely optional conquest of Iraq was a
Democratic Party run operation at the start.

Every penny spent on Iraq has been well worth it. We now have a solid base
in the Arab Middle East from which we can throw our weight around if need
be. Iran needs watching now, not Iraq.

I do not consider insurgencies in the same light as warfare. It is more
policing than anything else. It is nothing to concern ourselves with.
Afghanistan is well on its way to success too, provided we stay the course.
That is something you can not always depend on the Dems to do. So far, Obama
has not been all bad in conducting our affairs in the Middle East. But I
still don't trust him to do the right thing.

"Since 1945, by deed and by example, the US has overthrown 50
governments, including democracies, crushed some 30 liberation
movements and supported tyrannies from Egypt to Guatemala."
- John Pilger

The above is left-wing lunacy. Mr. Sherman posts nonsense like that just to
get a rise out of me.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 17th 10, 07:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"DirtRoadie" wrote in message
On Nov 16, 9:06 pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
On 11/16/2010 2:56 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:

If you want to behave like an ass, then use your real name like Mr.
Sherman and I do.

Ed Dolan is actually right about something, once again.

DR at least had the wit to pick up on my throw away line. I do that often,
but it seems to go over most heads for some reason. It is best never to take
me too seriously. What's the use of living if you can't have some fun!

Old November 17th 10, 07:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

Default DirtRoadie - Lack of Character?

"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
On 11/15/2010 11:49 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Sherman wrote in message
On 11/15/2010 12:19 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
Mr. Vandeman has never harassed anyone in his life. Rather, he has been
the
one harassed by criminal idiot asshole mountain bikers.

Nonsense. Mr. Vandeman has a history of contacting his opponents
employers with complaints.

I believe this is the first rank falsehood Mr. Sherman has ever been
guilty
of. Mr. Vandeman is a gentleman and a scholar and does not resort to thug
tactics. If he has ever contacted an opponent's employer, it has been in
retaliation from first having been attacked or threatened with bodily
harm.
Mountain bikers are well known for being criminal thugs.
[...]

Ed, your ignorance is showing again.

I have had some email correspondence with Mr. Vandeman and I know what he
has had to put up with from criminal thug mountain bikers. You simply have
no idea. You are only going by what is posted on Usenet, but there is much
more to it than that.

You tread lightly in this world and so do I. Mr. Vandeman treads heavily and
that brings out real enemies. My contempt for mountain bikers who ride their
bikes on hiking trails knows no bounds. They are scofflaws and they border
on being violent when opposed and confronted. Mr. Vandeman is a hero for
standing up to them.

Old November 17th 10, 08:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"DirtRoadie" wrote in message
On Nov 16, 9:08 pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
On 11/15/2010 11:49 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

I believe this is the first rank falsehood Mr. Sherman has ever been
guilty
of.

Ed, your ignorance is showing again.

Ignorance is simply the lack of knowledge, something that we are all guilty
of 99% of the time.

By the way, do not get in the habit of editing out whatever you want based
on an attempt at wit. I do not like to be too closely edited and I react
badly to it as Tom Sherman will attest.

Old November 17th 10, 11:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default Friction Shifting

On 11/16/2010 11:00 PM, Dan O wrote:
On Nov 15, 4:53 pm, Peter wrote:
On 11/15/2010 7:22 PM, Tom Sherman _ wrote:

On 11/15/2010 6:11 PM, A. Muzi wrote:
Peter wrote:
Having rescued a number of 80's road bikes, I'd have to say that many
people are better off with a new bike. Old bikes have their charms for
retro-grouches, but most casual riders prefer more contemporary stuff
(like indexed shifting). By the time you replace the "consumables"
on an
old bike, at least at bike shop prices, you're spending lots before
even
considering upgrading components.

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Well, it depends. Index shifting dates from the mid-1980s, so there
are certainly 1980s bikes that have it, for those who want it. And
there were plenty of 1980s friction shifting bikes that shifted well
enough to satisfy lots of modern riders.

Peter Cole wrote:
I don't know lots of riders, modern or otherwise who like friction
shifting. Even when the first indexed shifters started showing up in
the mid-80's, they were DT or stem.

The worst part of old shifters is that you have to use old (design)
freewheels.

Really? why is that?

Friction and classic equipment works well, in fact better, with modern
tooth design freewheels and cassettes. Up to eightish though; friction
9-10-11 is dicey. Seven systems are fantastically better with modern
freewheels/cassettes than with classic tooth forms.

I have no problems shifting with bar-ends in friction mode, an 11-32
9-speed cassette, and a Shimano Tiagra derailer.

Indexing broken?

When I broke the hub on my 9-speed I still had to ride something to
work. Had an 8-speed wheel ready to go, so I turned the ring on my
bar-end around to friction and it worked swell that way for a week or
so. As plan B's go, it's an exceedingly versatile option. (It was
nice to turn it back around to index, though.)

It probably would have worked fine in index mode.
Old November 17th 10, 12:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 11/17/2010 2:33 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:

Every penny spent on Iraq has been well worth it. We now have a solid base
in the Arab Middle East from which we can throw our weight around if need
be. Iran needs watching now, not Iraq.

Only the genius of US foreign policy could incur all the costs of
imperialism without reaping any of the benefits.