Doping and game theory

Old June 2nd 11, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
steve

Default Doping and game theory

If you analyze the doping situation in Cycling (or any other sport) it
is pretty obvious that the equilibrium state will be - everyone
dopes.

Consider the 4 possibilities

You dope and no one else does
We know this isn’t the case
You dope and everyone else does
everyone is on an even if unethical footing
You don’t dope but everyone else does
No results no contract back to flippin burgers
Nobody dopes
We know this isn’t true.

This assumes that doping works but I’m not even convinced that that
has to be true. I understand most cyclists routinely take supplements
and the evidence that they work is pretty thin. Blood doping, EPO and
steroids I don’t think there is much doubt about.

So where does this leave us. From my perspective, the real losers are
the cyclists. Blood doping, EPO, steroids are dangerous especially if
done w/o a doctors supervision.

I do get a little short with those who go on about how what a terrible
person Lance, Floyd, Tyler, Ricco, Riis, insert you favorite doper
here, for playing the game to win.
Also I don’t much care for negating results and giving the next doper
in line the pink/yellow or whatever jersey. Are we suppose to be
happy if Lances tour victories are given to Ulrich, Basso, hey what
about Vino he’s my guy
Old June 2nd 11, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

Steroids probably harmful - look at football and rassling (post
Wallace Beery)

EPO ? I f taken like the Belgian's eat chocolate and potatoes -
harmful.

If microdosed and Dr. supervised no harm that we know about other than
'frothing at the mouth" and unhappy face syndrome.

Here's a photo of young Lance and young Dr Ferrari testing EPO.

http://kid-steam.com/imagesKS/foam_m...artyGoggle.jpg
Old June 2nd 11, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Brad Anders

On Jun 1, 5:30*pm, Anton Berlin wrote:
Steroids probably harmful - look at football and rassling (post
Wallace Beery)

Fairly easy to detect, so regular monitoring could eliminate most of
this.

EPO ? *I f taken like the Belgian's eat chocolate and potatoes -
harmful.

If microdosed and Dr. supervised no harm that we know about other than
'frothing at the mouth" and unhappy face syndrome.

Agree. Same with low-level testosterone.

Legalization, monitoring, and having docs manage the process makes a
lot more sense than what's going on today.

LA doping theory Henry[_4_] Racing 5 August 8th 10 10:46 PM
The 'doping levels the playing field' theory is a null argument. Anton Berlin Racing 15 August 2nd 10 09:25 PM
Hello Game Lovers, Welcome to the money game world ss General 0 May 17th 09 02:00 PM
Klaus-Peter Thaler On Recreational Doping & Tour Doping B. Lafferty Racing 0 December 9th 04 02:41 PM
Tyler -Tugboat Blood Doping Theory Shrek Racing 21 September 24th 04 04:45 AM