Spoke deflection - force

Old December 15th 13, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Király

Default Spoke deflection - force

James wrote:
Do you have any test data that shows that double eyelets are any
stronger or more durable?

No test data. Single eyelets spread the spoke load only among one of the
two walls. Double eyelets spread the load evenly among both walls. It's
a good enough reason for me to want to use it on a rim used for heavy
loaded touring. I wouldn't care if the wheel was for light duty use.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old December 15th 13, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand

Do you have any test data that shows that double eyelets are any
stronger or more durable?

No test data. Single eyelets spread the spoke load only among one of the
two walls. Double eyelets spread the load evenly among both walls. It's
a good enough reason for me to want to use it on a rim used for heavy
loaded touring. I wouldn't care if the wheel was for light duty use.

Velocity rims seem to be highly-regarded, and most don't have eyelets at
all. Here's what Peter White says about one Velocity rim:

The Dyad is a very tough rim for loaded touring, commuting, 29" mountain
bikes, and tandems. We never see them developing cracks and they have no
eyelets that can loosen. The V shape eliminates the need for reinforcing
eyelets at the spoke holes. Now that Mavic no longer makes a 48 spoke rim,
the Dyad is the only option in a high quality tandem wheel for loaded
touring. Without the double eyelets, the Dyad rim takes a minute or two
longer to lace up, but the end result is still an extremely strong, durable,
round and true wheel. I'm using these rims on my new Atlantis touring bike.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/velocity.asp

Old December 15th 13, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I'm using these rims on my new Atlantis touring bike.

00000000000

is there a translation ?

v rims are unrepairable. I had thought ( last May) V rims and touring were an absolute negative. Maybe V rims are in vogue.

what would the metal specs be for retraining a nipple ?

are V rims possible with eyelets ? sure....there's machine makes eyel theads for V rims.

we'll send our spy over to White's get to the core here.

maybe P has a machine in the shed ?
Old December 15th 13, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 16/12/13 02:36, Király wrote:
James wrote:
Do you have any test data that shows that double eyelets are any
stronger or more durable?

No test data. Single eyelets spread the spoke load only among one of the
two walls. Double eyelets spread the load evenly among both walls. It's
a good enough reason for me to want to use it on a rim used for heavy
loaded touring. I wouldn't care if the wheel was for light duty use.

How do you know the double eyelet spreads the load evenly among both walls?

I think it was Frank who said a little while ago that threaded fasteners
hold most of the load on 1-2 threads, like a bike chain puts the
majority of load on 1 tooth.

I *think* for the eyelet to spread the load at all it would need to be
pulling the two walls together, to ensure positive pressure on the inner
wall (under the inner tube). Otherwise the load would mostly come to
bear on the outer wall, until it had deflected enough to have the eyelet
start pulling on the inner wall.

I have two front wheels built on Mavic OpenPro ceramic rims. 32 spokes,
double eyelets.

Both rims have done about 10 years and 100,000km, as a factory built
pair (front and rear).

Some years ago I rebuilt the rear and found a couple of eyelets had
broken, but the rim still worked after I rebuilt it. Had the eyelets
broken because they were pulling on the inner wall? Possibly. More
recently I disassembled both wheels, mostly because I didn't like the
flimsy little bearings Mavic had used, and the freewheel was also prone
to rapid wear. I reused the rims in two front wheels. One built on a
Miche hub, and the other with my SP dynamo hub. I raced on the Miche
hub front wheel on Saturday (2nd in the A grade veterans race), and the
dynamo hub is my daily training front wheel.

Both rims have broken eyelets, yet seem to still be working without
cracks appearing in the outer wall.

So I question the usefulness of the eyelets.

I *think* the eyelet is good at distributing load more evenly around the
outer wall. Perhaps so to would a shaped washer. I'm not so sure the
inner wall sees much load from the eyelet.

--
JS
Old December 15th 13, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

gee all I asked for was a simple ratio...

the eyelet theory smells like civil engineering not mechanical, Civil is more static and off course suallly larger with less sophisticated material$

but, in argument, you bought the Swiss hype, the Eurospiel.

Opposite could be equally as acceptable.... hehehehe ....with rim weight loss following eyelet support: tour or sportgeshaft ?

first double Sun built here was run 10 miles into an antique storm grate...no cross bars.

Wheel deflection steve Techniques 81 November 3rd 08 06:15 AM
Spoke tension deflection test [email protected] Techniques 33 January 5th 07 04:43 PM
frame deflection measurements - any numbers? [email protected] Techniques 0 March 22nd 06 01:09 PM
Photo of Spoke Deflection? Moe Kit Techniques 25 July 11th 05 05:23 PM
Looking for a low deflection chain [side ways deflection] MetroPed Techniques 3 September 27th 04 11:09 PM