Broken hip

Old December 15th 15, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Broken hip

On 2015-12-15 12:13, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, December 13, 2015 at 3:36:43 PM UTC-8, Doug Landau wrote:
On Sunday, December 13, 2015 at 12:46:35 PM UTC-8, Barry Beams
On 2015-12-12 13:46, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/12/2015 3:03 PM, jbeattie wrote:

This is why I try to crash consistently -- give my bones a
little impact to keep them strong.

We kid-sit a couple grandchildren pretty regularly. I've
noticed they throw themselves at the ground several times a
day. Maybe if we adults did the same, our hips would be used
to the impact?

That's easy. Join a team of hardcore downhill MTB riders, they
do that regularly :-)

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Broken Femur = Embrace the Opportunity A broken femur can be a
traumatic and life redirecting event.

Broke the neck of my left femur seven years ago when a defective
front tire sidewall blew. For those familiar with the road, was
descending Bohlman Road, in the lower section with straight
chutes connected by hard corners. Also suffered ankle to
shoulder road rash and torn rotator cuff.

Ouch. Check out a$$wipe almost take me out descending Bohlman at
4:53 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ei3QfZK3PI

Waah. I miss Bohlman. It's so dry and close to town. I can get a
pretty steep 3-4 mile climb fairly close in, but anything longer than
that means riding out of town -- and there is nothing like Mt.
Hamilton unless I ride up Mt. Hood, which isn't going to happen in
winter. In fact, all the long climbs are pretty much shut-down now.
But hey, its ski season. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caax5_iPMnk
(shot yesterday). That's what its like skiing with my son . . . .
ripping trees. See ya at the bottom.

Yikes! You ski like this? That's way more dare-devilish than the most
hardcore downhillers out here. Especially at 0:36.

It's more evidence of society's schizophrenia regarding "safety."

"Be sure to wear your helmet!"

"Now ski jump cliffs, do mid-air acrobatics, and thread your way through
groves of trees at 40 mph!"

I haven't looked up the injury rates for skiing vs. cycling. It might
be interesting.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 15th 15, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2015-12-12 13:46, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

No way -- I wish I were that good. I'm talking about my son and his cohort, some of whom are that good. My son goes to school at the University of Utah and skis all the time -- and he was a high school racer who went to ski camp in the summer (Mt. Hood has summer skiing). So he is very, very poised and competent on skis. I used to ski a lot, but now I'm old and creaky and don't like terrifying runs anymore.

My son is coming home on Saturday, and we'll go skiing or riding on Sunday -- and if we go skiing, there will be the inevitable "let's go down here." And my response will be "f*** that! Are you trying to kill me!" I now say that when we go riding, except that it will be up a hill and not down it. The kid is training to race on the University racing team and has gotten too strong for his own (my) good.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 16th 15, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-12-12 13:46, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Your son would probably also be a good downhill MTB rider in very short
time. I will never be and that's ok.

I just hope he doesn't take too many huge risks. My insurance agent
almost died when he slipped up just a wee bit and smacked into a tree at
full speed. A former co-worker ended up like Mark, broke his hip on the
ski slope.

Old December 27th 15, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 9:07:28 PM UTC-5, Clive George wrote:
On 11/12/2015 00:28, wrote:
I attribute my rapid recovery from the three screw operation to taking the rehabilitative exercises very seriously. I could hardly do them at first, but I tried and kept at it every day, three times ten reps of six different exercises twice a day. As I got stronger I did more. It's important to move around and not sit in one position too long. I was putting weight on the leg after a month per doctor's order. He was impressed with the leg strength. I suspect a lot of people blow off the exercises and delay recovery for it.

Was that one month after the op? I was very strictly forbidden from
putting any weight on mine for three months, and told not to exercise it
either.

Once the three months were up, anything goes - and my wife was annoyed
that I overtook her on my first ride riding mostly one-legged :-)

Yes, after one month I was told I should begin to put weight on the leg. The doctor seemed to be very impressed with the strength of the leg, like he was unaccustomed to the progress I was making. The riding at 3 months I took upon myself and was no longer seeing the doctor. I was encouraged by the hospital staff to get up and move around right after the operation, but was forbidden to get out of bed at all before it.
Old January 6th 16, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mark cleary

Well an update on the hip. Been 4 weeks since surgery feel like I am a
blessed deacon for sure. I resumed riding the indoor trainer after 4 days
from surgery. I went to PT and they said I was doing all the exercises
myself no need to see them. So my routine is to ride the trainer early
morning instead of my usual running, which of course I cannot run. I can
walk fine no real pain have not take any pain meds since leaving hospital
after 2 days. Back working my usual gig after two weeks off. Riding the
trainer cause no pain but I cannot get all the way in the drops only over
the hoods. I have been riding 25 miles at about 21 mph average on the wind
trainer. Sure I know it sounds boring but coming from where I did it is a
great blessing.

Saw the dr after 3 weeks said things are going well. Told me not to push
through any pain but doing what I was doing is fine. I do these leg and hip
raises the usual push ups and situps each day. Have not tried to really
hammer the indoor trainer all sitting no out of saddle riding. I do not the
the complete power to get up to about my max of 34mph but that is ok that
would go beyond the dr recommendations. I still have a bit of a limp that
does not hurt but I think I have learned to simply limp to walk. I have to
work on that although not quite ready to keep at that since it does at times
get a weird pain through top of thigh. I have to return to the dr in 6 weeks
and we can see.

My goal is to return to my usual running of 20-30 miles a week with a good
long bike ride on weekends and when riding more I run less. My only issue is
going back riding on the road is going be be scary. Any fall or crash could
do the same thing or worse. I love the bike but I I crash running I am only
going at the most 8-9 mph and more likely 6 mph. Running seems to be much
safer from the big hurt problem but it does have it own pounding issues
related to injury.

I had to get better the wife is dealing with chemo after 5 years of cancer
returning so I have to not be a burden. Will see how this goes but so far
thanking the Big Fellow who put us all here. This is probably a boring post
but some here did give some insight.

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Roman Catholic Church
"mark cleary" wrote in message ...

Ok not a direct bike question but anyone here recover from broken hip. I hit
monday out on the ice stupid me. It was at the top of the hip across the
ball. They put in 3 screws and that went pretty good but had to go home with
a foley Catheter. I could not get a stream to flow the old BPH was no
helping. This is really a pain and I sure hope the old system to get rid of
pee will be able to come back this is not good.

Now I have the fear going back to the bike any of you guys deal with this. I
am runner too that is my primary but will have to just see how that goes.

Old January 6th 16, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-01-05 16:43, mark cleary wrote:
[...]

Not sure if fall training would help. I learned how to roll in
parachuting school. There they show you how to tough out a bad landing
without exerting too much force into bones and joints. Generally the
trick is to transform a half second high force deceleration onto one of
several seconds but with lesser force. I just don't know where that's
taught other than in parachuting ground school and there they only teach
approaches and landings. But it's helped me a few times during
"involuntary bike dismounts". One was at over 20mph on singletrack.

Haven't crashed in over a year. I ride a little more cautious after that
20mph crash. That one could have gone horribly wrong if it had happened
a couple of miles earlier.

I had to get better the wife is dealing with chemo after 5 years of
cancer returning so I have to not be a burden. Will see how this goes
but so far thanking the Big Fellow who put us all here. This is probably
a boring post but some here did give some insight.

I'll be praying for you guys, especially for your wife.

Old January 6th 16, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 18:43:41 -0600, "mark cleary"
wrote:

Any fall or crash could
do the same thing or worse. I love the bike but I I crash running I am only
going at the most 8-9 mph and more likely 6 mph.

You could get a BSO that won't let you go any faster than ten mph. I
can't leave the village on my step-through bike, but it allowed me to
go everywhere I normally walk while my knee was healing.

I try to remember to climb up to the tower room every time I go to the
church. When a bike tour stopped a Howe's Cavern, I learned that
walking down stairs uses exactly the same muscles as cycling up hills.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
Old January 6th 16, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

We were schooled in HS gym class by Sabatini...roll over on the scapula while coiling body in for impact, uncoilng along body impact area while continuing roll.

Utube ?

WHOOPS! Mountain biking firefighter: "a broken bone in his neck,injuries to his lower back and four broken ribs" (UK) I love Mike Mountain Biking 3 September 20th 13 02:07 AM
1 broken chain, 1 broken derailleur, one flat tire, one dislocatedfinger, one lost sailor, and 6 giant smiles Mike Vandeman[_4_] Mountain Biking 10 August 8th 12 10:27 PM
A broken man Susan Walker Racing 86 February 19th 09 02:01 PM
Broken arm englishkiwi Unicycling 0 January 23rd 07 05:24 PM
Broken arm pkplonker Unicycling 18 January 23rd 07 05:00 PM