27" road tubes?

Old January 7th 16, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand

Default 27" road tubes?

And now we're told that you have a horse on the trail and that horse
wants to bite your front tire?

He sometimes want to nibble and gnaw. It's what horses (and our
Labradors) do.

And also moose, apparently (at 0:56):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5ESvm0roEs
Old January 7th 16, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-01-06 17:25, wrote:
Yes, those are the ones, Joerg. The price isn't that good
until they put them on sale periodically.

They are fairly thick tubes, but I would say a good
compromise as to weight.

$2.98 is a very good price I'd say. Do you know how thick the
walls of these tubes are? The ones I am using right now cost
around $12 a piece and the walls are 0.120" or 3mm. All
around, not only at the running surface. The latter is very
important because sidewalls are notoriously flimsy on
"modern" bicycle tires. Can't get downhiller tires for the
road bike.

Flimsy sidewalls will lead to punctures in the side of the
tube?

Yes. Thick tubes also prevent the tube from bulging too much
once sidewall damage sets in. Without those I'd go through tires
like popcorn because sidewall abrasions happen very quickly out
here. Mostly because of rock protrusions on bush roads.

Well, you must still go through tires like popcorn because the
tubes don't prevent sidewall damage. They just resist blow-out --
your sidewalls are still toast. ...

Yes, that's the whole idea. The ride continues and there is no *KAPOW*
sound.

... Get hard-case or hard-shell tires
-- or avoid rock protrusions.

The $64,000 question is: Where? AFAICT there does not exists a 29" MTB
tire at reasonable that has 2-ply or better sidewalls. My bike dealer
showed me one that is a little more sturdy. But ... around $90 and it
also won't last longer than 500mi. No way. So now I am trying Geax
Saguaro which seem to hold up better than the TrailTaker and way better
than the more expensive Hutchinson Cobra.

Avoiding rock protrusions? That would only work if I stick to roads or
some manicured city folk sand trail. Not quite possible out here. For
example, then I could not even get to Placerville.

-- Jay Beattie.

Also keep after your sidewalls better. The moment they get a nick,
seal them up with Permatex #2 or equivalent, preventing the damaged
area from being exposed to additional damage and weather, and from
fraying.

That is a good idea. Although I usually discover it way down the road
and who knows how many rides ago it happened.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old January 8th 16, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2016-01-06 17:25, wrote:
[...]

I thought you were talking about your road bike (as distinguished from MTB tire problems). No? Bontrager and Conti make hard-case road tires. I don't know what tires are available for 29er MTBs. There must be something available like my crappy Innova studded tires, which are like motorcycle tires. You could take a hatchet to those things.

-- Jay Beattie
Old January 8th 16, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
On 2016-01-06 17:25, wrote:
[...]

Both bikes have that problem.

... Bontrager and Conti make hard-case road
tires.

Do you have an example of a 2-ply or better 700c tire? I am using
Gatorskins now. Very good tires, though difficult to get onto the flat
Mavic Argent D rims and the sidewalls are way too flimsy. I still have a
small stack of them that I'll have to use up so no rush to find better
tires. Different story on the MTB where rear tires never last more than
500mi.

... I don't know what tires are available for 29er MTBs. There
must be something available like my crappy Innova studded tires,
which are like motorcycle tires. You could take a hatchet to those
things.

They look like the Maxxis 1040N on my old 26" MTB. $12 a piece and IMHO
way better than anything I ever had on the 29er bike.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Innova-Studded-Tire

But I could not find them in 29". Are those 2-ply in the sidewalls?

A motorcyle-style tire is exactly what I want. Weight does not matter,
only toughness does. If I lose 0.1mph that pales in contrast to getting
there on time.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Schwalbe "extra light" tubes Ned Mantei[_2_] Techniques 25 August 16th 15 12:44 PM
Where Global Warming started sliding down the tubes: Mann's"Hockey Stick" NOT supported by North NAS Panel zencycle General 0 September 13th 10 08:51 PM
19" tubes! mornish Unicycling 9 November 15th 06 09:40 PM
Source for 24" presta road inner tubes? [email protected] Techniques 2 July 29th 06 08:19 PM
Road bike inner tubes Roger Zoul General 12 October 24th 03 08:45 PM