Clean and lube chain

Old July 10th 05, 02:14 PM
Ken M

Default Clean and lube chain

Yeah that is a good method. I need to try one of those "dry" type
lubes, oils get dirty too fast and I don't clean often enough.

I can't imagine anyone NOT using a quick link of some sort.

Ken

Old July 10th 05, 11:28 PM
Steven M. Scharf

Joe S. wrote:

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I asked my friendly local bike shop to
order a Parks tool for me -- I prefer to buy from them to ordering over the
Internet. I have some of the motorcycle chain lube -- it's also sold at
auto parts stores as "Heavy Duty Chain and Cable Lube" -- it's intended for
lubing chains and cables in industrial applications, goes on foamy and coats
everything.

It's the best lubricant for chains, short of soaking the chain in
tenacious chainsaw oil. Most chain lubricants that are used on an
installed chain do not actually get to the surfaces where they are
needed, they just make the oustide of the chain look good.
Old July 10th 05, 11:29 PM
Steven M. Scharf

Ken M wrote:

Yeah that is a good method. I need to try one of those "dry" type
lubes, oils get dirty too fast and I don't clean often enough.

The dry lubes don't last as long as the normal chain lubricants. You
have to reapply much more often.
Old July 11th 05, 03:36 AM

I agree. After 40,000 road miles, here's my scoop on chain lube and
cleaning methods - I've tried them all.

Cleaning: Forget the Park tool, it's too messy and doesn't work that
well. Get an SRAM chain with the quick link, take it off the bike, put
it in a 20 oz soda bottle, add solvent of your choice, and shake. Take
the chain out and hang it up to dry.

Wiping the chain after application of lube will keep it pretty good
between major off-the-bike cleanings.

Lubes: I've tried many dry, wax-based lubes including White Lightning.
Dry lubes have to be reapplied frequently and don't protect the chain
very well - chains wear out quickly. And they gunk up the der pulleys
and cassette. Wet lubes work better but are a mess. I've been using
Pro Link (semi-wet) lube and find that it works MUCH better then dry,
wax-based lubes. Pro-Link stays on, chains last longer, and it is not
too messy.

Old July 11th 05, 03:04 PM
Peter Cole

wrote:
[...]

I've gone the same cycle, had the same experiences, and reached the same
conclusion. I don't clean chains any more, I just wipe them and squirt
some Pro-link on. In the winter I switch back to oil for better rust
protection (sand & salt on snowy roads). I don't have huge preferences,
no product seems a whole lot better than another, and chain lube is a
trivial expense. A friend felt that his drivetrain wore out very quickly
when he switched to White Lightning, I never used it long enough to test
that, it was a nuisance to apply and wore off very quickly even in dry
road cycling, didn't last well enough for even long 1 day trips.

Old July 11th 05, 04:18 PM
Ken M

I have to agree. In my opinion some people spend far too much time
maintaining the bike than is needed. Just look at some of the bikes you
see rolling around town. Some of them have probably never seen a
wrench, and they roll just fine.

Ken

Old July 11th 05, 07:24 PM

damn thing breaks often enough without another gizmo.