rear hub suggestions for Cannondale touring bike?

Old July 21st 03, 05:11 AM
David L. Johnson

Default rear hub suggestions for Cannondale touring bike?

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:06:48 +0000, Sheldon Brown wrote:

Chalo, I gotta say this is a bum rap, and that singling out Shimano this
way is unreasonable and unfair.

Leaving cartridge bearing hubs out of the discussion, traditional
cup-and-cone hubs have always had non-replaceable cups, with the exception
of Campagnolo.

And even that is questionable, as I found out when trying to replace the
cups on an abused Record hub I*acquired. They physically can be replaced,
but the part is unavailable.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is
_`\(,_ | not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant.
(_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy

Old July 21st 03, 01:52 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Capt Bike- Welllll, a couple of years ago I visited Kill Devil Hill, N.C.
where=20
they have a replica of the Wright Flyer. It turned out to contain quite
BRBR

No doubt but I would have been horrified to learn that any bearings in the
aircraft I flew in the USN had loose ball bearings...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old July 21st 03, 01:55 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Chump- What in aircraft uses loose balls??? Nothing I suspect.

Bingo!

Aircraft have to be light, strong, and serviceable, and they must work
properly every time they fly. No sane engineer would use cup 'n cone
for that. BRBR

Loose balls in bicycles work well and have for over a century. The stresses are
much different to say the least and no bicycle design would be improved with
cart bearings..from hubs to HS to BBs...

No sane engineer would have put loose balls into any of the A/C I flew in the
USN, but in bikes, they are just fine...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old July 21st 03, 05:01 PM
David Damerell

Phil Brown wrote:
[Chalo Cholina likes cartridge bearlings]
Of course you'll have to accept the seal drag that comes with them
which isn't present on a cup and cone but maybe you're just a big strong guy
and just overpower it.

Since a child of five would be hard put to notice it while riding along,
it seems likely that it wouldn't be much of an issue.
--
David Damerell flcl?