CF Bike Shatters Top Tube and Down Tube after hitting a Road Divot

Old August 15th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Crescentius Vespasianus

Default CF Bike Shatters Top Tube and Down Tube after hitting a RoadDivot

jim beam wrote:
jim beam wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Quote:

"Hi,

As I'm not active on these forums I'm not sure exactly what has been
written on this issue but all comments and help for me would be most
grateful.

I ride a SCOTT CR1 team, which I have now had for over a month. I'm a
keen road cyclist for fun/exercise but am not competetive. I should
add that I have had the bike from new and it has never been subject to
any crash, nor impact.

Yesterday whilst riding (on the flat, in a mid gear), I struck a small
stone with the front wheel which sent me slightly toward the curb. The
front wheel presumably dipped into a divot/small hole on the road and
the bike literally crumbled beneath me. The frame of the bike split
into 3 pieces instantly, so fast that I had no time at all to react.
Needless to say I sustained injuries of a reasonable severity.

I had to attend my local hospital where I received 11 stitches to my
face. I also required an Xray which showed there was no fracture to my
jaw. I sustained further grazes/lacerations to both knees, both
shoulder, both elbows and hands. I have also shattered 2 of my teeth,
for which I'm seeing a dentist today.

Whilst I accept that road cycling involves a degree of (controlled)
risk, this is absolutely not something I anticipated.

As a doctor, I of course have an interest in health and safety issues
and thought I would raise this on here. I'm actually glad I'm alive,
because a 12inch portion of the downtube shattered off entirely. This
could easily have embededded itself into me.

I have pictures on my phone that I can include if you feel that this
would be useful.

My question is really.....is this to be expected? I am strongly of the
opinion that I will raise this issue with Scott, but would value all
your opinions greatly.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

P.S. Pictures have been added he
http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z284/Steebler/
P.P.S. I am 9 1/2 stone and 5'8 tall, so hardly a heavyweight. "

cf almost always gives warning signs before failure. the matrix and
the fibers both make cracking noises as a fracture progresses. and
the probability of a fracture progressing from zero to fail without a
period within the audible warning zone is slim to zero.

bottom line, your frame should not have failed - probably a
manufacturing defect - but at the same time, you absolutely /have/ to
heed any pre-failure warning noises.

in fact, you posted "Stem Handlebar Interface Creak Noise" on 7/5 didn't
you?

-------------
So at first it's a creak, creak noise.
Then CREAK, then a giant zipping noise
like when they zip up a body bag, and
then you're on the ground.

Even a large diameter branch, on a tree,
first gives a creak, then a ripping
noise before it crashes to the ground.
Had some storms around here lately, it's
amazing how wind can break a 4 inch
diameter branch, like it's a toothpick.

I did see in the pics that the Scott
runs the cables inside the tubes, might
that have something to do this this.
Like some rubbing cable, cuts through
the tube.

Old August 15th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Kenny wrote:
[...]

An horrible story and my deepest sympathy.

But, as we say here often, don't let attorneys work on your bike and
don't take legal advice from bicycle mechanics. That goes for the bulk
of r.b.t. denizens as well (practicing attorneys in this area excepted).

You need competent legal advice and promptly. Stop talking about the
incident and let your counsel find the appropriate experts to analyze
the bike, the situation and the ramifications. Then write back to tell
us later. If you are in USA (your writing style implies not) there are
several people who specialize in this area, write me. Otherwise call
your local bar association for a referral. You need an expert as the
'facts' are always voluminous and complicated and the way they are
discerned has huge import to you.

cheap shots about 'carbon' and 'scott' are unhelpful here.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old August 15th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kenny

After reading the person's report I looked at his photos. Something
doesn't jive. Like how does striking a road "divot" cause such
catastrophic damage? I find this hard to believe, don't you?

Old August 15th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kenny

Source of original thread.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=320405

Old August 15th 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Kenny wrote:
After reading the person's report I looked at his photos. Something
doesn't jive. Like how does striking a road "divot" cause such
catastrophic damage? I find this hard to believe, don't you?

Yes. There is likely a lot more going on here which is why I suggested
he consult an attorney expert in the area. That person will have the
resources to sort out what really happened. We don't.
Old August 15th 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
amakyonin

On Aug 15, 12:31 am, Kenny wrote:
After reading the person's report I looked at his photos. Something
doesn't jive. Like how does striking a road "divot" cause such
catastrophic damage? I find this hard to believe, don't you?

It looks like the entire flared section of the downtube detached
cleanly from the headtube. I suspect a bad bond here is the culprit.
The top tube then snapped and the downtube must have hit something
(curb?) to cause the third break.

It would be interesting to know how much this rider weighs. If he's
Chalo sized he should have had more sense to buy a sturdier bike.

Old August 15th 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

amakyonin wrote:
It looks like the entire flared section of the downtube detached
cleanly from the headtube. I suspect a bad bond here is the culprit.
The top tube then snapped and the downtube must have hit something
(curb?) to cause the third break.
It would be interesting to know how much this rider weighs. If he's
Chalo sized he should have had more sense to buy a sturdier bike.

Rider says '9.5 stone' which is, what, 133 pounds-ish? 61kg? ?? About
0.4 Standard Chalos? Not usually considered bike-mangling mass.