Nice tires

Old March 8th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Baldwin

Default Nice tires

Tom Sherman writes

For about $50K, one can get a nice gravity meter
to verify this.

...guess what my 2¢ nerd meter says...

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Old March 8th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Price

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 14:03:07 -0600, Tom Sherman
wrote:

How much do they weigh?

To little information in the question to provide an answer, since the
local value of gravity was not specified.

To avoid this issue in the future, please ask what the mass of the tires is.

Hope this helps,

It may do, but only if I have Pedant Flakes (© Tim McNamara) for
breakfast tomorrow morning ...
Old March 8th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Price

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 12:30:44 -0800 (PST),
" wrote:

I don't know how much they weigh at your latitude, but at mine the
difference between weight and mass are well within the tolerance of my
cheap scale! 240g.

Thanks - I'll assume that for all practical purposes, the difference
between weight and mass in Paris is the same as in Oslo!
Old March 9th 08, 07:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

" wrote:
I don't know how much they weigh at your latitude, but at mine the
difference between weight and mass are well within the tolerance of my
cheap scale! 240g.

Thanks - I'll assume that for all practical purposes, the difference
between weight and mass in Paris is the same as in Oslo!

That of course depends upon how fast you ride!

I think these would make great urban tires for anyone looking for a 23
(the come in 25 too it seems).

Joseph
Old March 9th 08, 09:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Price

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 03:35:00 -0500, Tom Sherman
wrote:

Thanks - I'll assume that for all practical purposes, the difference
between weight and mass in Paris is the same as in Oslo!

That of course depends upon how fast you ride!

[...]

Yes indeed, since mass increases with velocity.

Looks like I need to borrow Michael Baldwin's 2¢ nerd meter ...
Old March 9th 08, 12:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
Thanks - I'll assume that for all practical purposes, the difference
between weight and mass in Paris is the same as in Oslo!

That of course depends upon how fast you ride!

[...]

Yes indeed, since mass increases with velocity.

Looks like I need to borrow Michael Baldwin's 2¢ nerd meter ...

Usenet, physics jokes, bicycles, Saturday night? You need equipment to
figure out we're nerds?

Joseph
Old March 9th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

wrote:

Thanks - I'll assume that for all practical purposes, the difference
between weight and mass in Paris is the same as in Oslo!

That of course depends upon how fast you ride!

[...]

Yes indeed, since mass increases with velocity.

Looks like I need to borrow Michael Baldwin's 2¢ nerd meter ...

Actually, mass does not increase with velocity.
Furthermore, velocity is a vector quantity,
so one should use the term `speed.'

One of the problems with relativistic mass increase
is that the derived inertial mass is no longer
equal to gravitational mass.

http://stason.org/TULARC/education-books/startrek-relativity-FTL/1-5-1-Rest-Mass-versus-Observed-Mass-Special-Relativity.html

The observed mass concept doesn't really work here, and
we see that it's better to simply argue that the mass
isn't really increasing, but rather the equations for
energy and momentum are different than expressed by
Newtonian physics.

So, "observed mass" has its uses, but physicists today
rarely use the concept in practice. Rather, an object
is said to have a rest mass (which truly is its
inherent internal energy) as well as an energy due to
its motion with respect to an observer (kinetic energy)
which come together to produce its total energy, E.

--
Michael Press
Old March 9th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Camilo

On Mar 9, 2:34 pm, Michael Press wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Pegged it!

FS: Tires T-Mobile Continental GP 3000 Tires Scott Morrison Marketplace 1 August 29th 07 10:59 PM
[OT] Nice One Tony Raven[_2_] UK 8 August 25th 07 04:53 PM
Order a pair of tires or 3 tires? RS Techniques 12 July 12th 06 06:40 PM
Wide Mt. Bike Tires vs. Thin Tires [email protected] Mountain Biking 17 April 12th 05 06:13 AM
relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires Anonymous Techniques 46 April 7th 04 07:03 PM