Air Pump detected as a weapon????

Old May 25th 04, 08:09 AM
Red Cloud

Default Air Pump detected as a weapon????

I carry air pump in my bag all the time in case for flat tire.
I was going to city courtm and in the security check entrance, I was
unable to pass the x-ray check. The guard was asking me in loud voice
"What is that thing in your bag?' I said it's air pump for my bike.
I opened the bag and showed the security guard. She did not believe
that. She ordered the next security guard to check it out. When I
explained to
him, he said ok this is the air pump. I have had to demonstarte how
air pump worked. This never happended before 9/11. This is too much
stricting.
Old May 25th 04, 08:53 AM
S o r n i

Red Cloud wrote:
I carry air pump in my bag all the time in case for flat tire.
I was going to city courtm and in the security check entrance, I was
unable to pass the x-ray check. The guard was asking me in loud voice
"What is that thing in your bag?' I said it's air pump for my bike.
I opened the bag and showed the security guard. She did not believe
that. She ordered the next security guard to check it out. When I
explained to
him, he said ok this is the air pump. I have had to demonstarte how
air pump worked. This never happended before 9/11. This is too much
stricting.

You're absolutely right, Cloudy.

They shouldn't check out ANY metal cylindrical objects at airports,
government buildings, courtrooms, etc.

Bill "possible nomination for imbecilic post of the month?" S.

Old May 25th 04, 10:13 AM
Q.

" S o r n i" wrote in message
Red Cloud wrote:
I carry air pump in my bag all the time in case for flat tire.
I was going to city courtm and in the security check entrance, I was
unable to pass the x-ray check. The guard was asking me in loud voice
"What is that thing in your bag?' I said it's air pump for my bike.
I opened the bag and showed the security guard. She did not believe
that. She ordered the next security guard to check it out. When I
explained to
him, he said ok this is the air pump. I have had to demonstarte how
air pump worked. This never happended before 9/11. This is too much
stricting.

You're absolutely right, Cloudy.

They shouldn't check out ANY metal cylindrical objects at airports,
government buildings, courtrooms, etc.

Bill "possible nomination for imbecilic post of the month?" S.

I think I know the frustration the OP felt. It's not so much that you get
harassed for having a "metal cylinder", it's that the security guards for
the most part have the IQ of room temperature celsius. In this case, the
bike pump is mostly air inside ... how many pipe bombs only weigh 120
grams??? The scary part is that any real terrorist will be way ahead of our
so called security forces. What would have kept a potential suicide bomber
from having a bag full of plastic explosives and detonating it all right
there and then? "Oh, gee ... I think I'll just pack a tiny bit of
explosives into a little bike pump and go through the x ray ... rats, I got
caught, bummer." Bah!

C.Q.C.

Old May 25th 04, 12:28 PM
Marty Wallace

"Red Cloud" wrote in message
om...
I carry air pump in my bag all the time in case for flat tire.
I was going to city courtm and in the security check entrance, I was
unable to pass the x-ray check. The guard was asking me in loud voice
"What is that thing in your bag?' I said it's air pump for my bike.
I opened the bag and showed the security guard. She did not believe
that. She ordered the next security guard to check it out. When I
explained to
him, he said ok this is the air pump. I have had to demonstarte how
air pump worked. This never happended before 9/11. This is too much
stricting.

Well you could have blown something up with it!

Marty

Old May 25th 04, 02:31 PM
GaryG

"Red Cloud" wrote in message
om...
I carry air pump in my bag all the time in case for flat tire.
I was going to city courtm and in the security check entrance, I was
unable to pass the x-ray check. The guard was asking me in loud voice
"What is that thing in your bag?' I said it's air pump for my bike.
I opened the bag and showed the security guard. She did not believe
that. She ordered the next security guard to check it out. When I
explained to
him, he said ok this is the air pump. I have had to demonstarte how
air pump worked. This never happended before 9/11. This is too much
stricting.

Last summer on a trip to Las Vegas, the x-ray machine indicated a suspicious
object in my briefcase. The security guard told me to open my bag, because
it appeared as if I had some sort of illegal martial arts weapon inside.
The "weapon" turned out to be a standard-sized Tootsie Roll! Apparently,
the new metallic wrapper is impervious to x-rays, and shows up as some sort
of "metal bar" in the x-ray machine. My fiancé still teases me about my
"ninja Tootsie Roll"...the security guys got a laugh out of it too.

GG

Old May 25th 04, 02:52 PM
David Kerber

In article , mmdir2002
@yahoo.co.uk says...
I carry air pump in my bag all the time in case for flat tire.
I was going to city courtm and in the security check entrance, I was
unable to pass the x-ray check. The guard was asking me in loud voice
"What is that thing in your bag?' I said it's air pump for my bike.
I opened the bag and showed the security guard. She did not believe
that. She ordered the next security guard to check it out. When I
explained to
him, he said ok this is the air pump. I have had to demonstarte how
air pump worked. This never happended before 9/11. This is too much
stricting.

If they let you on with it, then they decided it wasn't a weapon. They
were just being sure that it wasn't.

newsgroups if possible).
Old May 25th 04, 03:16 PM
BanditManDan

Red Cloud wrote:
I carry air pump in my bag all the time in case for flat tire. I was
going to city courtm and in the security check entrance, I was unable to
pass the x-ray check. The guard was asking me in loud voice "What is
that thing in your bag?' I said it's air pump for my bike. I opened the
bag and showed the security guard. She did not believe that. She ordered
the next security guard to check it out. When I explained to him, he
said ok this is the air pump. I have had to demonstarte how air pump
worked. This never happended before 9/11. This is too much stricting.

Maybe they should have been checking for unusual objects in bags befor
9/11 too. It's good to see things improve for a change

Dan

-

Old May 25th 04, 03:28 PM
Badger_South

On Tue, 25 May 2004 06:31:57 -0700, "GaryG"
wrote:

bject in my briefcase. The security guard told me to open my bag, because
it appeared as if I had some sort of illegal martial arts weapon inside.
The "weapon" turned out to be a standard-sized Tootsie Roll! Apparently,
the new metallic wrapper is impervious to x-rays, and shows up as some sort
of "metal bar" in the x-ray machine. My fiancé still teases me about my
"ninja Tootsie Roll"...the security guys got a laugh out of it too.

GG

Hahaha. Good one. Funny thing is a simple thing like a bike tool:

http://www.trekbikes.com/accessories...ategory_id=278

....can be a formidable weapon.

-B

Old May 25th 04, 05:24 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

What would have kept a potential suicide bomber
from having a bag full of plastic explosives and detonating it all right
there and then? "Oh, gee ... I think I'll just pack a tiny bit of
explosives into a little bike pump and go through the x ray ... rats, I got
caught, bummer." Bah!

Stupid reasoning in "security" was exposed on this side of the pond when Bush's
poodle was in the House of Commons, when some purple powder hit his back. It
was a condom filled with flour dyed purple and thrown by a member of the public
observing proceedings. Thing is, not long ago, a special security screen was
fitted to the public gallery, to stop this sort of thing happening. The
brainless morons responsible for security didn't extend the screen around the
bit where members of the public who are guests of members of parliament
(Commons or Lords) sit, presumably on the grounds that people who have been
invited there aren't terrorists...

See

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/3729299.stm

I've actually been in the position of a being a guest of a member of
parliament, watching proceedings from the front row of the gallery. It was post
9/11. I wasn't carrying a bag IIRC, and certainly no checks were made to see if
I was carrying anything in my pockets... Good job I know I'm not a terrorist!

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old May 25th 04, 10:41 PM
Zippy the Pinhead

wrote:

Last summer on a trip to Las Vegas, the x-ray machine indicated a suspicious
object in my briefcase. The security guard told me to open my bag, because
it appeared as if I had some sort of illegal martial arts weapon inside.
The "weapon" turned out to be a standard-sized Tootsie Roll! Apparently,
the new metallic wrapper is impervious to x-rays, and shows up as some sort
of "metal bar" in the x-ray machine. My fiancé still teases me about my
"ninja Tootsie Roll"...the security guys got a laugh out of it too.

They were doing their job.

http://www.karatedepot.com/ot-ke-25.html

Look at it as an X-ray machine would.