"Cargo bikes the new minivan for cycling families"

Old December 10th 13, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default "Cargo bikes the new minivan for cycling families"

On Monday, December 9, 2013 8:00:34 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:
On 12/9/2013 3:55 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:

Dream on. More likely that electric mini-vans will be ubiquitous.

The problem now is that they are very expensive specialty items
manufactured in low volume. Once they start coming in from Asia and the
price falls to the $500 range, they'll become more popular.

For some value of "more popular." In most U.S. states, if ten more were sold, it would be a significant increase - percentagewise, that is.

Jay's right, the stories are "novelty stories," the man-bites-dog variety, saying "ooh, here's something different." It doesn't mean it's significant..

Truth is, it's very difficult to get Americans out of their cars when all they're hauling is their own [m]ass. My wife and I frequently ride for groceries, but we're almost the only ones doing it within five miles. And although I've got a bike trailer I could use for loads up to perhaps 100 pounds, I must admit that when I buy a bag of cement mix, I use the car.

For all that to change, there will have to be some massive changes in society. Bike lanes, cycle tracks or electric assist bikes aren't going to make a huge difference.

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 10th 13, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 09:14:12 -0800, sms
wrote:

http://www.wthr.com/story/24151187/cargo-bikes-the-new-minivan-for-cycling-families

Amazing! Apparently the "Americans" have discovered gravity.

Close to 20 years ago I saw Javanese peasants hauling 200 Kg loads of
rice home from the paddies on the old "two top tube" bicycles. In
Thailand, 40 or so years ago, we used to have charcoal delivered in
sacks that would hold 100 Kg. of rice, the guy came on a bicycle.

It is only in the more civilized countries that the use of "cargo
bicycles" is something to enthuse over.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old December 10th 13, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Monday, December 9, 2013 5:00:34 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 12/9/2013 3:55 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:

On Monday, December 9, 2013 2:08:17 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:

On 12/9/2013 10:05 AM, davethedave wrote:

snip

It's kind of like riding a unicycle, where everybody wants to bring the

fact that it has only got one wheel to your attention.

Back when almost no one had decent bicycle lights I used to get stopped

with questions about my lights all the time since it was so out of the

ordinary for a cyclist to have good lights. Now, with the advent of

low-priced high-quality lights it's become the norm for cyclists to have

500 lumen+ lights so no one thinks anything of it.

So be patient. In 20 years or so cargo bicycles will be ubiquitous and

no one will bother you.

Dream on. More likely that electric mini-vans will be ubiquitous.

The problem now is that they are very expensive specialty items

manufactured in low volume. Once they start coming in from Asia and the

price falls to the $500 range, they'll become more popular.

How are your contacts in China? We could start importing them today -- sell them for maybe $600 and make a $225 profit. http://cargocycling.org/2010/10/the-...a-rip-off.html

Maybe get Costco or Walmart to commit to a big order, and we can drive down manufacturing costs. We'll make a bundle!

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 10th 13, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/9/2013 6:17 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:

snip

Maybe get Costco or Walmart to commit to a big order, and we can drive down manufacturing costs. We'll make a bundle!

Costco and Walmart have no interest in working through a middleman. They
go direct to the manufacturer. It's interesting how the LBSes were
furious about Specialized selling directly to Costco (under a private
label) but now Giant is doing it and there's barely a peep about it.

Old December 10th 13, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 17:00:34 -0800, sms wrote:

[...]

These three wheel bad boys are very popular. You see them on the road all
the time near my house.

http://www.bisikletcim.com/kargo-bisiklet

They all come in at cheapish and are great for getting stuff from the
shops but they aren't really good for a 20 mile ride though.

--
davethedave