Broken hip

Old December 11th 15, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default Broken hip

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 15:47:08 -0600, "mark cleary"
wrote:

Ok not a direct bike question but anyone here recover from broken hip. I hit
monday out on the ice stupid me. It was at the top of the hip across the
ball. They put in 3 screws and that went pretty good but had to go home with
a foley Catheter. I could not get a stream to flow the old BPH was no
helping. This is really a pain and I sure hope the old system to get rid of
pee will be able to come back this is not good.

Now I have the fear going back to the bike any of you guys deal with this. I
am runner too that is my primary but will have to just see how that goes.
Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Roman Catholic Church

Yes, I broke my hip (technically I had a "non-displaced fracture of
the pelvis" at the hip socket) and it does take some time - perhaps a
year or more - to recover. Either physical-therapy or a rigidly
adhered to self exercise and strengthening program will be necessary.

As for fear, in my case the "accident" was so obviously my own fault
that any fear was of doing the same stupid stunt again.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 11th 15, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/10/2015 4:20 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 1:47:15 PM UTC-8, mark cleary wrote:
Ok not a direct bike question but anyone here recover from broken hip. I hit
monday out on the ice stupid me. It was at the top of the hip across the
ball. They put in 3 screws and that went pretty good but had to go home with
a foley Catheter. I could not get a stream to flow the old BPH was no
helping. This is really a pain and I sure hope the old system to get rid of
pee will be able to come back this is not good.

Now I have the fear going back to the bike any of you guys deal with this. I
am runner too that is my primary but will have to just see how that goes.
Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Roman Catholic Church

Urine retention is an unfortunate side-effect of anesthesia. What happens is that the anesthesia effect subsides and you end up with urinary incontinence or near incontinence. When the catheter comes out, make sure you have a urinal handy, particularly if you're not mobile. It gets back to normal over time -- less than a week.

What Clive says about opiates is so true -- you can get killer constipation. Make sure you're taking a softener. I've broken both legs and gone through surgical repair -- rods, plates, screws. Both were ski falls. I still ski, but it has made me more timid -- which is a really bad thing on skis. I've separated my shoulder, broken ribs, knocked my self out, gotten plastic surgery on my face, stitches in my leg because of cycling injuries (crashes, hit by cars). I still ride, and foolishly still ride in the snow and ice -- unless its bad sheet ice. Go buy some cheap studs as a bit of insurance, although with studs you can still go down on train tracks, manhole covers, etc. like I did last year (and luckily did not break my hip, but it really hurt). Sometimes the better part of valor is driving the car.

My friend worked for a pharmaceutical company that developed a powerful
painkiller that did not cause constipation. They could not get it on the
formulary of HMOs because of the cost. The HMOs would rather have
doctors prescribe an opiate and a laxative.

Old December 11th 15, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

andy, yawl have this

https://www.google.com/#q=sidewalk+i...mpons&tbm=shop

myself, enjoy ice. get a good run at it n slide baby slide zoooooooooooooooooooommmM mtn walk to the spring was down a 800' driveway I packed down with muh 401ci leading arm coil spring 23' long buick into flat shheeet of ice under the powder.

WHOA head over heels like in the comics. Mas stupido.

main problem driving is realizing that indeed I'm driving 75 on ice....

just came over Mescalero Mtn from White sands to Area 51 on ice...at 3AM+ ...I cudnha figure out where the oil wells were....

Old December 11th 15, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

main problem driving is realizing that indeed I'm driving 75 on ice....

75-year-olds should probably not drive at all let alone on ice
Old December 11th 15, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 7:39:55 PM UTC-5, wrote:
andy, yawl have this

https://www.google.com/#q=sidewalk+i...mpons&tbm=shop

myself, enjoy ice. get a good run at it n slide baby slide zoooooooooooooooooooommmM mtn walk to the spring was down a 800' driveway I packed down with muh 401ci leading arm coil spring 23' long buick into flat shheeet of ice under the powder.

WHOA head over heels like in the comics. Mas stupido.

main problem driving is realizing that indeed I'm driving 75 on ice....

just came over Mescalero Mtn from White sands to Area 51 on ice...at 3AM+ ...I cudnha figure out where the oil wells were....

equippe

http://technabob.com/blog/2012/04/24...eelchair-skis/
Old December 11th 15, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

very fashionable downtown Seattle

https://www.google.com/#q=white+caul...89447314 4279

Old December 11th 15, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mark cleary

Default Broken hiplj

I am 54 and today I was home and I can walk and empty the catheter, take my
own shower, and put full weight on it but I just did a few exercises. My Dr
knows me pretty well and said he did not want me pacing the house and doing
bunch of exercises let it heal. The PT person at hospital was much more
aggressive but she is not a dr. The thing was for the year I had 5960 in
mileage on the bike and 1150 running. I took off in August and Sept to ride
only and give running a break and heal some sciatic so I was riding 200-300
mile weeks. I think I was in shape to do a solo 5 hour century but now I
just want to get back and spin around get to run. I have always done a lot
core stuff so my back stays strong with various hip exercises. I would do 50
sit ups and clams, stretch, the whole bit but ice is ice.

The catheter is the problem now I just want to be able to **** on my own. I
have the old BPH and it really does not help in this situation and I have it
bad before the surgery. The bowels are working ok thank the Lord but I have
this fear I will not be able to **** on my own. OH to just take a good ****
in along the side of the road..................These old running legs have
75000 lifetime miles I am hoping to just be able to return so my slow 9-10
min pace.

Now I cannot even work on the bike. It managed to not take a scratch, oh for
a bike totaled in a crash and I walk away even a prize high priced TDF
special.

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Roman Catholic Church
wrote in message

I attribute my rapid recovery from the three screw operation to taking the
rehabilitative exercises very seriously. I could hardly do them at first,
but I tried and kept at it every day, three times ten reps of six different
exercises twice a day. As I got stronger I did more. It's important to
move around and not sit in one position too long. I was putting weight on
the leg after a month per doctor's order. He was impressed with the leg
strength. I suspect a lot of people blow off the exercises and delay
recovery for it.

I got on a bike and rode the first time at two months, but rode for only a
few minutes at first. The hardest part was getting on the bike. I could
not swing a leg over it; I laid the bike down and pulled it up between my
legs. At five months I was riding thirty miles virtually every day. In
retrospect, that was probably a little too much considering hills and
headwinds I typically encounter. Now, two years later, I'm still not the
man I was originally, but I feel best on the bike. I'm 65 and I suppose
that has a bearing on progress.

Old December 11th 15, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 11/12/2015 02:07, Clive George wrote:
On 11/12/2015 00:28, wrote:
I attribute my rapid recovery from the three screw operation to taking
the rehabilitative exercises very seriously. I could hardly do them
at first, but I tried and kept at it every day, three times ten reps
of six different exercises twice a day. As I got stronger I did
more. It's important to move around and not sit in one position too
long. I was putting weight on the leg after a month per doctor's
order. He was impressed with the leg strength. I suspect a lot of
people blow off the exercises and delay recovery for it.

Was that one month after the op? I was very strictly forbidden from
putting any weight on mine for three months, and told not to exercise it
either.

Once the three months were up, anything goes - and my wife was annoyed
that I overtook her on my first ride riding mostly one-legged :-)

Ah, I know why now. If you're younger (not sure what the cutoff is, but
I've seen 50), the risks from the ball dying outweigh the problems with
not exercising, so you're told to keep the weight off.

Most of the stuff I found on the web was aimed at old people's
fractures, which are apparently rather different. If your bones are
still strong, you might count as young.
Old December 11th 15, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 19:24:04 -0600, "mark cleary"
wrote:

The catheter is the problem now I just want to be able to **** on my own. I
have the old BPH and it really does not help in this situation and I have it
bad before the surgery. The bowels are working ok thank the Lord but I have
this fear I will not be able to **** on my own. OH to just take a good ****
in along the side of the road

I'm not sure if my experiences applies to your situation. My
guess(tm) is that you have some swelling in the area of the prostate,
which is compressing the ureter. Eventually, the swelling goes away
and you'll again be able to urinate without added plumbing.

I had my prostate surgically removed about 10 years ago. After the
surgery, it's standard practice to get fitted with a Foley catheter.
After a week, I visited the urologist for a checkup. The test was to
backfill the bladder with a known volume of warm water and remove the
catheter. If I can void the added volume of water, I'm considered
"healed" and get to go home without the catheter. However, if I still
have some swelling and still plugged up, a new catheter is inserted,
and I get to wait another week. I lost and had to wait a 2nd week.
About 3 years later, I got to repeat the same catheter ritual with
kidney stones and laser lithotripsy. That was living hell but I
survived.

Some free advice:
1. The catheter is a bother, but not being able to urinate is worse.
Live with it for a few more days.
2. Self removal of the catheter is usually easy and painless. I was
one of those where the removal was quite the opposite. I suggest you
mix some illegal cocaine or fast acting topical anesthetic for
desensitizing the tip of the penis. I didn't and really wish I had
done so.
3. Apparently a common problem afterwards is frequent urination. In
my case, it was every 1-3 hours. That eventually settled down to
about once every 6 hrs after about 3 months.
4. I assume that you were warned about the possibility of infection
via the catheter and was instructed in handling and cleaning it.
Basically don't touch any area of the catheter than might have a path
backwards into the urethra. Follow the instructions religiously as a
bladder infections is not fun.

Good luck and get well quick.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

WHOOPS! Mountain biking firefighter: "a broken bone in his neck,injuries to his lower back and four broken ribs" (UK) I love Mike Mountain Biking 3 September 20th 13 02:07 AM
1 broken chain, 1 broken derailleur, one flat tire, one dislocatedfinger, one lost sailor, and 6 giant smiles Mike Vandeman[_4_] Mountain Biking 10 August 8th 12 10:27 PM
A broken man Susan Walker Racing 86 February 19th 09 02:01 PM
Broken arm englishkiwi Unicycling 0 January 23rd 07 05:24 PM
Broken arm pkplonker Unicycling 18 January 23rd 07 05:00 PM