dimensions of wheels derailleurs chainwheels ...where?

Old December 26th 15, 11:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Edmund

Default dimensions of wheels derailleurs chainwheels ...where?

Hallo guys,

I considering to make a hand_rowing_bicycle and need to know the
dimensions of normal available/commonly used parts but so far I didn't
find it.
Does anyone have a source for this?

Thanks

Edmund
Old December 26th 15, 12:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, December 26, 2015 at 6:43:29 AM UTC-5, Edmund wrote:
Hallo guys,

I considering to make a hand_rowing_bicycle and need to know the
dimensions of normal available/commonly used parts but so far I didn't
find it.
Does anyone have a source for this?

Thanks

Edmund

TRY the manufacturer in an English language search: SHIMANO DERAILLEUR PARTS

or

GOOGLE IMAGES. GooIm is tricky with language AND when modifying search ONE words best to start over with a new GooIm page as the search terms add up, string together. Record each search phrase...

I tries 6 combinations prob missing the correct wording for measurement drawings

but here's an example. Look thru the pages. A block on the right will group what you want together.

https://www.google.com/search?site=i....WqXu BqL5l20
Old December 26th 15, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/26/2015 5:40 AM, Edmund wrote:
Hallo guys,

I considering to make a hand_rowing_bicycle and need to know the
dimensions of normal available/commonly used parts but so far I didn't
find it.
Does anyone have a source for this?

Thanks

Edmund

Which part?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 26th 15, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 26/12/15 13:24, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/26/2015 5:40 AM, Edmund wrote:
Hallo guys,

I considering to make a hand_rowing_bicycle and need to know the
dimensions of normal available/commonly used parts but so far I didn't
find it.
Does anyone have a source for this?

Thanks

Edmund

Which part?

Well the wheels derailleurs chainwheels ... obviously.

Old December 26th 15, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/26/2015 8:29 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 26/12/15 13:24, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/26/2015 5:40 AM, Edmund wrote:
Hallo guys,

I considering to make a hand_rowing_bicycle and need to
know the
dimensions of normal available/commonly used parts but so
far I didn't
find it.
Does anyone have a source for this?

Thanks

Edmund

Which part?

Well the wheels derailleurs chainwheels ... obviously.

Front wheels are mostly 9mm axles and 100mm face to face.
Rear wheels are mostly 10mm axles and can be 120mm, 125mm,
130mm, 135mm and out to 160mm for various formats.

Rim sizes span not only a large range but have more
increments than can be readily absorbed. Beyond that, tire
width choices for most popular diameters have grown greatly
in recent years.

Derailleur compatibility with modern shifters has also
become overly complex of late. Suffice to say that one ought
to plan for matching brand/model shifters and gear changers
in most cases.

I think you are probably planning some sort of project for
which in the abstract no simple advice will help. Sorta like
planning a custom car and asking 'what's a good engine? do
they work with every gearbox?'

Once you get to specific problems, the contributors here at
RBT have deep knowledge and experience. Generally, there are
too many standards exceptions and foibles.

Old December 26th 15, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/26/2015 6:40 AM, Edmund wrote:
Hallo guys,

I considering to make a hand_rowing_bicycle and need to know the
dimensions of normal available/commonly used parts but so far I didn't
find it.
Does anyone have a source for this?

Thanks

Have you considered just buying a used bicycle and measuring whatever
dimensions you need?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 26th 15, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Edmund

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 04:53:28 -0800, avagadro7 wrote:

[...]

site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1524&bih=709&q=S HIMANO+BICYCLE+PARTS
+DIMENSIONAL+DRAWINGS&oq=SHIMANO+BICYCLE+PARTS+DIM ENSIONAL
+DRAWINGS&gs_l=img.12...1440.12038.0.18039.42.10.0 .32.32.0.365.794.7j2j0j1.10.0....0...1ac.1.64.img. .21.21.870.WqXuBqL5l20

Thank you.

Edmund
Old December 26th 15, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Edmund

On 26/12/15 13:24, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/26/2015 5:40 AM, Edmund wrote:
Hallo guys,

I considering to make a hand_rowing_bicycle and need to know the
dimensions of normal available/commonly used parts but so far I
didn't find it.
Does anyone have a source for this?

Thanks

Edmund

Which part?

Well the wheels derailleurs chainwheels ... obviously.

Front wheels are mostly 9mm axles and 100mm face to face. Rear wheels
are mostly 10mm axles and can be 120mm, 125mm, 130mm, 135mm and out to
160mm for various formats.

In a drawing ( post from avagadro7 ) I see a with of 135 mm but that
varies as well?
Another thing I see is that the spokes are mounted asymmetrical on the
rear wheel, that wouldn't be my first choice.
I understand why they do this but on a ( my ) handbike this is not
necessary, still I want to use common parts as much a possible for
obvious money related reasons.

Rim sizes span not only a large range but have more increments than can
be readily absorbed. Beyond that, tire width choices for most popular
diameters have grown greatly in recent years.

I am looking for a smooth ride with low rolling resistance, what do you
think? 26 or 28 inch for the rear wheel with what kind of tire??
The front won't carry much weight so that is less important.

Derailleur compatibility with modern shifters has also become overly
complex of late. Suffice to say that one ought to plan for matching
brand/model shifters and gear changers in most cases.

Bigger sized tooth wheels seems better to me but I read although that is
true, the difference in efficiency ( between 11 tooth and 16 tooth ) is
rather small, still if possible I like to fit a cassette with 16 teeth
for the smallest tooth wheel.
Now, what outer diameter I get with a tooth wheel with 53 teeth?
( 53 seems to be a "standard" size )

I think you are probably planning some sort of project for which in the
abstract no simple advice will help. Sorta like planning a custom car
and asking 'what's a good engine? do they work with every gearbox?'

I have to start somewhere.

Once you get to specific problems, the contributors here at RBT have
deep knowledge and experience. Generally, there are too many standards
exceptions and foibles.

I noticed, they even use the width of there thumbs as measurements
units :-) and decent units mixed through each other.

Edmund

Old December 26th 15, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 26/12/15 13:24, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

The most efficient rolling resistance in a commonly
available clincher will be a Michelin Pro 700-23 running
about 115psi on a Velocity A23 (or similar setup)[1]. The
rear rims are asymmetric which I think addresses your hub
question.

53t is nominally 53/3.14159 or 16.87 teeth=8.435" at rivet
diameter. I measure 221mm dia at the tooth tops. 16t start
on modern 9-10-11 cassettes will be s custom setup but not
prohibitively difficult. Note that a 53x16 is equivalent to
a 36x11 or a 40x12.

[1] for typical (150 to 230lb bike+rider) loads on typical
paved road surfaces.

Old December 26th 15, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

traditional method is think do see rethink redo not mental theory to paper.

buy box of chalk, clean garage floor, measure and chalk mark frame dimensions for your vehicle

place real parts inside chalked dimensions

and go from there....

for 3D....is there a Walmart nearby ? bring home an armfull of large Walmart cardboard 3 packs utility knife blades with utility knife body, several rolls wide masking tape. ALAWAY CUT AWAY FROM YOUR BODY.

measure out the 3D dimensions for the vehicle leaving extra for tabs like on a cereal box

assemble with masking tape.

place parts into card board chassis/frame.

this is less work than using plywood

if you knew how to weld, now weld the frame together

or cut...drill ....bolt together for the next step welding

if all the parts look like they're where they should be...

so instead of thinking abt this once or twice you get to think abt it over 1-2-3 months.

he thanked me....incroyable usually I save the planet then attacked by goons for 2-3 years.....

Chainwheels sizes available cmcanulty Techniques 21 January 31st 08 01:37 PM
FA: Campy Athena 7-speed brakes, wheels, derailleurs, downtube shift levers - like new! nc.rr.com Marketplace 0 July 7th 07 12:11 AM
Chainwheels elyob UK 4 November 14th 05 10:08 PM
FS: Multiple road & mtb items: stems, cranks, cassettes, wheels, pedals, derailleurs, etc. joe_dante Marketplace 0 October 16th 05 04:14 PM
FA: T.A. Chainwheels Don Jernigan Marketplace 0 May 10th 05 01:47 AM