dimensions of wheels derailleurs chainwheels ...where?

Old December 28th 15, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default dimensions of wheels derailleurs chainwheels ...where?

I already know what and how I want to make it, now all I want is use
standard parts as much as possible. With that I start drawing to see if
it fits and if my gears will be OK I have to gamble here because I don't
know how much work I can do -rowing.
Mind it is hands only but 2 way, push and pull.

Uh-oh!! This is going to ruin your rowing stroke. It not only has to be pull only, but the motion described by your hands has to be to pull straight towards you, lift your hands a few inches, move them straight away from you, then drop them a few inches. Over a table - under the table - over the table - under the table.

Otherwise next time you get in a boat, you'll suck, and have to re-train your hands.

...personally I go for something I can actually use on the
streets while still aiming to make it as efficient as possible within the
limits dictated by the practicality/usability.

Forget about pushing, then, and get a rest on the recovery instead.

Old December 29th 15, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 09:15:11 -0000 (UTC), Edmund
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Dec 2015 11:47:12 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 12/27/2015 5:19 AM, Edmund wrote:
On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 16:44:21 -0800, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

On Saturday, December 26, 2015 at 7:25:28 PM UTC-5, Edmund wrote:
On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 21:29:27 +0000, Tosspot wrote:

Snipped
But that assumes a typical 1/8th pitch. A 3/32 pitch saves another
4%
on rolling resistance from the drive chain only.

Do you have a source for that? I don't see why a larger pitch should
have better efficiency and 4 % is quite a lot.

Edmund

Tossport used the wrong terminology. There is NO difference in PITCH
between a 1/8" chain (4/32") and a 3/32" chain. What is different, as
A.
muzi pointed out, is the width which is what the 1/8" and 3/32"
indicates.

Cheers

Thanks for that and my bad, 3/32 isn't bigger but smaller then 1/8
(4/32")
IF that was the pitch that would theoretically have a better
efficiency. The big question is : does a 3/32 chain have better
efficiency In Real Life and what about durability and "standard" does
it require special tooth wheels? $$$$$$$$ Then it is no option and
certainly not for my first attempt to make a handbike.

Someone once said "A month in the lab can sometimes save up to an hour
in the library." Or something like that.

It's not always true, of course. (I still think you need to buy a used
bike and a set of calipers and just measure what you're curious about.)

But you really should hit the library and read _Bicycling Science_ by
Wilson. It contains a lot of fundamental background knowledge that you
will need, assuming you continue this project.

I don't like to be hindered by any kind of knowledge of the subject :-)

Edmund

Hopefully your "day job" isn't designing bridges or airplanes :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 29th 15, 11:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Edmund

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 13:19:49 -0800, Doug Landau wrote:

I already know what and how I want to make it, now all I want is use
standard parts as much as possible. With that I start drawing to see if
it fits and if my gears will be OK I have to gamble here because I
don't know how much work I can do -rowing.
Mind it is hands only but 2 way, push and pull.

Uh-oh!! This is going to ruin your rowing stroke. It not only has to
be pull only, but the motion described by your hands has to be to pull
straight towards you, lift your hands a few inches, move them straight
away from you, then drop them a few inches. Over a table - under the
table - over the table - under the table.

Otherwise next time you get in a boat, you'll suck, and have to re-train
your hands.

I don't go in a boat while rowing is done with mostly with ones legs, my
knee is damaged therefore I want to use/train my arms back and abdomen.

...personally I go for something I can actually use on the streets
while still aiming to make it as efficient as possible within the
limits dictated by the practicality/usability.

Forget about pushing, then, and get a rest on the recovery instead.

Nope

Edmund

Old December 30th 15, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 10:15:46 -0000 (UTC), Edmund
wrote:

[...]

I think you will find that rowing with the legs is primarily a part of
racing where the boat is fitted with a sliding seat, or an exercise
machine. Granted that the time a workman rowed a boat is probably long
past, but I can tell you that rowing, say an 18 ft. dory, was not done
with the legs :-)

Old December 30th 15, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

The deal with those rowing bikes is that some "recreate" a slide. It's not all upper body. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmHZGGMfHtg Nice idea to work the whole body, but not very practical in a hilly area. Different implementation -- no slide and all upper body: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOIp2P0UYTo Nice wobble!

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 30th 15, 06:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I tried a two wheel rowing bike for maybe a flat quarter mile this past
spring. Very, very tricky! I hadn't felt so clumsy on two wheels since
I first learned to ride.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 30th 15, 07:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

I think you will find that rowing with the legs is primarily a part of
racing where the boat is fitted with a sliding seat, or an exercise
machine. Granted that the time a workman rowed a boat is probably long
past, but I can tell you that rowing, say an 18 ft. dory, was not done
with the legs :-)

But greek warships were, and that let them row circles around the Phoenicians, and defeat them.

Old December 31st 15, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 22:25:55 -0800 (PST), Doug Landau
wrote:

I think you will find that rowing with the legs is primarily a part of
racing where the boat is fitted with a sliding seat, or an exercise
machine. Granted that the time a workman rowed a boat is probably long
past, but I can tell you that rowing, say an 18 ft. dory, was not done
with the legs :-)

But greek warships were, and that let them row circles around the Phoenicians, and defeat them.

They were? A trireme with sliding seats?

But I believe you are referring to the Greek-Persian war, the battle
of Salamis where the Greeks lured the Persian fleet into a narrow
strait at the eastern end of the island of Salamis where the Greeks
won an overwhelming victory.

Contemporary writers,Herodotus for one, seem to have believed that
the Greek ships were slower then the Persians and the battle was won
by superior planning.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 31st 15, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

There seems to be several versions. In one reference I see people
riding bikes with fixed seats and (apparently) some sort of pedal
arrangement to allow both the arms and legs to be used. In another I
see some row-bikes that obviously lack this feature and seem to be
powered only by the rider's arms and lastly I also see some with
sliding seats which seem to be "rowed" exactly the same as a racing
shell.

--
cheers,

John B.

Chainwheels sizes available cmcanulty Techniques 21 January 31st 08 02:37 PM
FA: Campy Athena 7-speed brakes, wheels, derailleurs, downtube shift levers - like new! nc.rr.com Marketplace 0 July 7th 07 12:11 AM
Chainwheels elyob UK 4 November 14th 05 11:08 PM
FS: Multiple road & mtb items: stems, cranks, cassettes, wheels, pedals, derailleurs, etc. joe_dante Marketplace 0 October 16th 05 04:14 PM
FA: T.A. Chainwheels Don Jernigan Marketplace 0 May 10th 05 01:47 AM