Oregon Snow Bikes

Old January 2nd 16, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Oregon Snow Bikes

On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 7:59:44 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 12/31/2015 8:22 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 6:50:45 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
We were XC skiing outside of Bend Oregon yesterday. Very nice XC ski
trail out to Tumalo Falls from the Sno Park
https://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5408827.jpg. Two
"Fatback Bikes," bicycles with ginormous diameter tires were coming in
the opposite direction. No tire chains, but the snow was hard packed
enough on the trail.

I skied with Bill Koch on Bachelor. No kidding. My wife and I were skating the trails near the nordic center with some friends when we happened upon him. Nice guy.

Ugh. You are very tolerant. I would have looked for a cliff to push him
off of.

Oregon probably invented Growler filling stations inside of gasoline
stations. What a great idea, fill up on beer while you're getting full
serve gasoline (the ban on self-serve gasoline partially expires at
midnight tonight, but only in very limited circumstances).

It's a totally dysfunctional state with lots of novelty items -- like growler fill stations. We have zillions of craft breweries -- and now its hard-cider and distilled liquors. I really wanted to do some sampling at the distillery in Hood River last weekend, but it's 60 miles back to Portland. http://hrdspirits.com/

What we noticed the most was how _white_ it was, at least in Bend. I'm
sure Portland is a little more diverse.

Bend is not very diverse. 30 years ago, it was basically a beaten-down timber town with a ski area and a resort (Sun River). It was more like Redmond. Now its resort city with brew-pubs and vacation/retirement homes -- a more urban (and larger) version of Park City, UT. It needs a film festival.

Portland is more diverse in every conceivable way -- and even some inconceivable ways. We have a pride parade for everyone every day! I'm marching in a parade for white men who identify as black albino lesbian women trapped in mens' bodies along with mythical creatures (a unicorn in my case). There is a black population that used to live normal lives, but now they are treated like an endangered species, and the big issue lately is habitat preservation and "reintroduction." It is a freakish situation caused by gentrification. http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...illions_o.html

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/phb/article/556995 -- Hmmmm. That is a racist policy no matter how you cut it.

I assume you're flying back out of PDX? Drive up 26, ski at Meadows and go down 35 to Hood River (avoid the idiot Portlanders going over the westside of the mountain). Driving down the Gorge is spectacular. I'll be doing that tomorrow after a new years ski at Meadows with my wife and son. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi7RqSrwwl0 I skied that exact run on Christmas Eve. Awesome snow this year.

We drove. A very good drive from the Bay Area, less than ten hours and
very little traffic. To fly with all our gear at this time of year, and
rent a 4WD with ski rack, probably would have cost $2500 for the four of
us, and have taken five hours with the airport delays, baggage claim,
rental car pick-up time, etc., plus the drive time from PDX.

Under 10 hours? Gads, did you stop to pee or did you catheterize the whole family?

Bachelor is so much nicer than the California ski areas. Uncrowded and
long runs. At least uncrowded from our perspective. I only XC ski. Did
one day at Meissner, one at Bachelor Nordic (even though I hate paying
to XC ski!) and one day from Skyliner. I brought my telemark skis and
was going to do one day on the lifts, but didn't end up doing that.

It gets plenty busy at the XC trails around here because of all the Portlanders and, I think, because of all the snow-shoers. Snow shoeing has become quite a fad.

It was sort of a strange day at Meadows yesterday -- not nearly the crowd I was expecting. People were probably hung-over or afraid of the dire cold/wind predictions. It was a little windy, but basically a spectacular, blue bird day -- although no new snow. I skied much too long and too hard, so the bike ride today is going to be slow -- plus its windy and cold, but blue skies. It might even be time for a balaclava.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 2nd 16, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/2/2016 8:40 AM, jbeattie wrote:

Bend is not very diverse. 30 years ago, it was basically a beaten-down timber town with a ski area and a resort (Sun River). It was more like Redmond. Now its resort city with brew-pubs and vacation/retirement homes -- a more urban (and larger) version of Park City, UT. It needs a film festival.

The film festival has been going on for a while.
http://www.bendfilm.org/. At least since 2007.
http://www.bendfilm.org/past-festivals/.

They really need to work on their infrastructure. There is a 5¢/gallon
gas tax on the ballot with the money supposed to go to roads. Of course
the petroleum industry is opposing it.
http://www.ktvz.com/news/fuel-tax-on-march-2016-ballot/36771230

Bend is also on the edge of letting developers take over the whole town,
and if they succeed there will be high-density housing projects and
office towers, with of course, no mass transit.
Old January 2nd 16, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-12-31 18:50, sms wrote:
We were XC skiing outside of Bend Oregon yesterday. Very nice XC ski
trail out to Tumalo Falls from the Sno Park
https://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5408827.jpg. Two
"Fatback Bikes," bicycles with ginormous diameter tires were coming in
the opposite direction. No tire chains, but the snow was hard packed
enough on the trail.

In Bend, we saw someone wipe out on one of these bikes right nest to the
"Bikes, Skis, Coffee, and Beer" shop
http://www.bendsource.com/bend/new-downtown-shop-to-peddle-skisbikesbeerscoffee-from-former-gallery/Content?oid=2185830,
which sells these bikes. If they sold lumber then, they'd have the whole
Oregon economy covered.

I'm sure Jay must have one of these bikes.

Oregon probably invented Growler filling stations inside of gasoline
stations. What a great idea, fill up on beer while you're getting full
serve gasoline (the ban on self-serve gasoline partially expires at
midnight tonight, but only in very limited circumstances).

My MTB buddy and I rode the Mormon Emigrant Trail in the California
Sierra on fat bikes with 4" wide tires yesterday. It was cool. Totally
different riding technique versus mountain biking. The road was partly
iced up and the forest trails were snow-covered, muddy near creeks.

Normally you see this kind of vehicle the

https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/show_pi...9cf8329912bb06

Plus lots of gun shot noise.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

FROM THE TOP DOWNHILL ?

From Sly Park. It's up and down the whole time. Sometimes it looked
like snow but only a thin dusting and underneath it was ice. Quite the
challenge when going down a hill. Fun, fun.

Old January 3rd 16, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

he creeps

https://goo.gl/V4biR1

say I know a slinky black lesbian who thinks she's a.........

what floor are you on ?

trendy of Portlanders comparing OR to HI
Old January 3rd 16, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 4:04:01 PM UTC-8, wrote:
he creeps

Start at San Jose or Cupertino -- but I guess you're right. I drive to Santa Rosa once or twice a year, and it takes about 11 hours -- a little under, and that is pretty north of SJ/Cupertino , so I thought 10 was pretty good to Bend, which includes some slow going on HWY 97 -- and during winter, snow and slop for quite a distance.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 3rd 16, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/2/2016 5:02 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 4:04:01 PM UTC-8, wrote:
he creeps

Start at San Jose or Cupertino -- but I guess you're right. I drive to Santa Rosa once or twice a year, and it takes about 11 hours -- a little under, and that is pretty north of SJ/Cupertino , so I thought 10 was pretty good to Bend, which includes some slow going on HWY 97 -- and during winter, snow and slop for quite a distance.

Less than 10 hours. We left at 8 a.m. and got home about 5:30 p.m.. Two
gas stops and one 20 minute stop. U.S. 97 is a little slow but I-5 is 70
MPH most of the way.

Old January 3rd 16, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

SMS

qualify the wood smoke air pollution ?

Old January 3rd 16, 11:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

New Or gas pump law is not unconstitutional ? how's that work ?

game/fish licenses are for removal of Or property but gas ?

Old January 3rd 16, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 6:39:27 AM UTC-5, wrote:
New Or gas pump law is not unconstitutional ? how's that work ?

game/fish licenses are for removal of Or property but gas ?

what about these dead ducks over at the Hammonds ?
Old January 4th 16, 12:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 3:10:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 6:39:27 AM UTC-5, wrote:
New Or gas pump law is not unconstitutional ? how's that work ?

game/fish licenses are for removal of Or property but gas ?

what about these dead ducks over at the Hammonds ?

Ski Harney ?

Oregon treasure hunt for bikes by Oregon braziers Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 2 June 5th 15 03:12 PM
Events in oregon? NKahler Unicycling 0 August 29th 07 02:18 AM
Bikes / frames specifically made for the snow other than Surly Pugsey? slipandfall Techniques 13 December 23rd 05 12:03 AM
Hermiston, Oregon to Hood River, Oregon? Ted Rides 7 December 4th 05 07:12 AM
Thanks, Oregon! pas Mountain Biking 12 August 10th 04 05:32 AM