NY bike path mayhem

Old November 2nd 17, 01:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Default NY bike path mayhem

wrote:

the stan is not a 'nut'

And it's still there ... nuts!
https://uz.usembassy.gov/2019-diversity-immigrant-visa-program/
Hurry up, politically oppressed goatherds looking to become disgruntled Uber
drivers, the US needs you!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/31/n...ck-attack.html

Where Mr. Saipov exited the bike path at Chambers Street is another notoriously risky intersection. In June 2016, a cyclist, Olga Cook, was killed there when an allegedly intoxicated driver made a right turn from the West Side Highway, crossing the greenway. At least 17 other cyclists or pedestrians had been injured there in the preceding five years.
Daniel Flanzig, a personal injury lawyer who has handled multiple cases on behalf of bicyclists killed or injured on the bike path, including Ms. Cook’s case, said there was a clear need to make the path safer.

NYT whataboutism.

“Everyone’s first reaction yesterday was to have bollards put onto the bike path,”

Idiots everyone, you're just a few months late:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:London_Bridge_security_barriers.jpg
Big and beautiful, aren't they?

he said. “It makes sense.”

For a personal injury lawyer, sure!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/n...bike-path.html

Old November 2nd 17, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/2/2017 12:48 AM, wrote:

the stan is not a 'nut'

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/31/n...ck-attack.html

Where Mr. Saipov exited the bike path at Chambers Street is another notoriously risky intersection. In June 2016, a cyclist, Olga Cook, was killed there when an allegedly intoxicated driver made a right turn from the West Side Highway, crossing the greenway. At least 17 other cyclists or pedestrians had been injured there in the preceding five years.
Daniel Flanzig, a personal injury lawyer who has handled multiple cases on behalf of bicyclists killed or injured on the bike path, including Ms. Cook’s case, said there was a clear need to make the path safer.
“Everyone’s first reaction yesterday was to have bollards put onto the bike path,” he said. “It makes sense.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/n...pgtype=article

So your position is, "We don't need no steenkin' jihadis.
We've got killer kiddie paths already!"

The bollards bit is a hoot! Imagine your average scrum of
bicyclists threading through those.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 2nd 17, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/2/2017 1:48 AM, wrote:

the stan is not a 'nut'

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/31/n...ck-attack.html

Where Mr. Saipov exited the bike path at Chambers Street is another notoriously risky intersection. In June 2016, a cyclist, Olga Cook, was killed there when an allegedly intoxicated driver made a right turn from the West Side Highway, crossing the greenway. At least 17 other cyclists or pedestrians had been injured there in the preceding five years.
Daniel Flanzig, a personal injury lawyer who has handled multiple cases on behalf of bicyclists killed or injured on the bike path, including Ms. Cook’s case, said there was a clear need to make the path safer.
“Everyone’s first reaction yesterday was to have bollards put onto the bike path,” he said. “It makes sense.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/n...pgtype=article

*#@%! Locally, we've got an incompetently designed two-way bike lane in
a park. It forces cyclists to thread through bollards at every place a
motorist might choose to pull over and park. We've been telling the park
for years that those things are collision hazards and actual fatality
hazards, because cyclists have been killed running into bollards.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 2nd 17, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I remember Mr.NG. I lived across the river In Brokersville. I shake my head in sadness these bright vibrant people are cut down.

what do we have here ?

a short path with 3 deaths from vehicle intrusion

an advocacy group

words from the city

and a failed watch on the jihadist from Law Enforcement

we have outside this unreal action group personal decisions to ride in a dangerous area. I wonder if the path is a necessary unavoidable connector. Probably. Safety in numbers, everyone rides here. So noticed.

goo.gl/ZtYvRp F1 ! is there a list ?

I did the Boston Marathon so prediction/analysis there was a piece of cake. Interfered with by you know... almost everyone, I'm popular out here where the interferes are denying rain.

my last unavoidable connector was 50' feet up above the creek 2' wide n ,25 long. That was the day I grabbed brakes (first long frame ride) raising front wheel over the speed bump at speed in 'going home' down the twisty.

My camel need water. I go.

Of water, I bumped into a stack of Dasani flavored water unseen by the local drunks buying a pack of Lime.

AAA. Have a COOL shot 5AM J.

A significant upgrade in beverages.

Old November 2nd 17, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 9:33:54 AM UTC-7, wrote:

[...]

slim pickens for the pop density...the map is dragable

goo.gl/JcrqDo

goo.gl/HJXf4u

overwhelming
Old November 3rd 17, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 10:13:53 -0000 (UTC), Duane wrote:

To me the line between terrorist and mentally ill isn’t very clear.
Religious fundamentalism and insane seem to go hand in hand.

That's an interesting discussion about which I don't feel qualified to
offer an intelligent analysis despite years of practice as a
psychologist. I have not read any of the research on the thought
patterns of religious terrorists nor into the differentiation between
religious delusion and excessive religious devotion. I end up with
questions rather than answers when thinking about this. With the
readers indulgence:

On the face of it, it is tempting to say that one has to be nuts to try
to slaughter large numbers of people (especially in a suicide mission)
in the name of one's god or country or family or some other group. But
can one be rational and do so? That's possible, I suppose, but I don't
know with any certainty. What about, for example, an Anders Breivik or
a Timothy McVeigh? Both were far more efficient killers than the vast
majority of terrorists. They were calculating, analytical and
methodical beyond what is typical of people with major mental illnesses.
Boh were radicalized by right-wing sources (as are, indeed, Islamist,
Christianist and Zionist terrorists in general). Yet on another hand
there was Adam Lanza, whose motivations seemed not rooted in terrorism
but in his own mental illness and yet he too was organized, detailed,
ruthless and efficient.

It is facile and unhelpful to dismiss terrorists as "crazy" or
"animals," because that suggests they are non-understandable; and if
they cannot be understood, we cannot know how to prevent them in the
first place. If we can understand how terrorists come to be, then
perhaps they can be defused in advance (and it is quite likely that this
is much better understood than I am aware of).

If being a terrorist is prima facie evidence of mental illness, then I
think it would be cruel to- as President Trump has openly supported-
torture and indecently punish them. Those actions come at a severe cost
for the "soul of civil society," as one might call it. Trump, of
course, betrays little evidence of being a member of civil society
himself so this likely does not trouble him.

There is a different question of what to do with a mass murderer who is
rational) or perhaps "rational enough"). I do not support the death
penalty- oddly, perhaps, on conservative rather than liberal grounds-
but these people are very, very dangerous and in at least some cases
(perhaps most or even all) it is not safe to turn them loose to likely
do it again. Indeed, turning them loose would just be stupid in those
cases. Just as we do not "turn loose" those adjudicated as mentally ill
and dangerous- they are under lifelong supervision and court-ordered
psychiatric treatment.

Enough rambling with no conclusions!
Old November 3rd 17, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 22:40:29 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

BUT Jesus siad,"let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

The New Testament supercedes the Old Testament. Jesus said, "I have
come to abolish the Law but to FULFIL it."

In my experience, Christian conservatives tend to have a strong affinity
for the Old Testament, Revelations and for various epistles- but not so
much for those inconvenent Gospels. I am sure there are many for whom
that is not true, of course, as my experience is far from universal. It
was at least the case in my family most of the conservatives emphasized
the Old Testament and most of the liberals Emphasized the Gospels.
Athough there were few liberals in my family...
Old November 3rd 17, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/2/2017 11:41 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:

There is a different question of what to do with a mass murderer who is
rational) or perhaps "rational enough"). I do not support the death
penalty- oddly, perhaps, on conservative rather than liberal grounds-
but these people are very, very dangerous and in at least some cases
(perhaps most or even all) it is not safe to turn them loose to likely
do it again. Indeed, turning them loose would just be stupid in those
cases. Just as we do not "turn loose" those adjudicated as mentally ill
and dangerous- they are under lifelong supervision and court-ordered
psychiatric treatment.

I think part of the motivation for killing a heinous criminal is the
certainty that he will never commit such a crime again. For example,
I've seen pro death penalty arguments describing how someone who served
time and earned parole killed again on release. And others fear
successful appeals, where a murderer (or worse) goes free on some legal
technicality.

So I wonder about a sort of "legal death" that involves life sentence
with no, absolutely no, right of appeal. It would have to be reserved
for cases so perfectly certain that the death penalty would be justified.

On the other hand: I note that most other prosperous, civilized
countries seem to function quite well without the death penalty, or
(AFAIK) the sort of "legal death" that I'm describing. Their murder
rates and violence rates are certainly far better than ours.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 3rd 17, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/3/2017 12:00 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

So you'll offer to host Brevik once he's out? Up for parole
in about 4 years...

Old November 3rd 17, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/3/2017 10:36 AM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Are you talking about the Norwegian murderer? Let's see whether the
parole actually happens first.

--
- Frank Krygowski