11T compatible with 1996 Trek road bike?

Old May 26th 05, 12:12 AM
CraigNJ

Default 11T compatible with 1996 Trek road bike?

Is an 11-23 cassette compatible with my 1996 Trek 2300 road bike if I
update the drivetrain to Ultegra 6600 series (with triple) from the
existing Ultegra 600 series (with double)?

Craig in NJ
Old May 26th 05, 03:55 AM
Bill Sornson

CraigNJ wrote:
Is an 11-23 cassette compatible with my 1996 Trek 2300 road bike if I
update the drivetrain to Ultegra 6600 series (with triple) from the
existing Ultegra 600 series (with double)?

Yes.

(But wait for confirmation from someone who actually knows.)

BS(er)

Old May 26th 05, 04:11 AM
JeffWills

Bill Sornson wrote:
CraigNJ wrote:
Is an 11-23 cassette compatible with my 1996 Trek 2300 road bike if I
update the drivetrain to Ultegra 6600 series (with triple) from the
existing Ultegra 600 series (with double)?

Yes.

(But wait for confirmation from someone who actually knows.)

BS(er)

I dunno either, but according to
http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek_timeline.htm , 2300's and above were
8-speed in 1995, so the new cassette *should* bolt right on.

Jeff

Old May 26th 05, 04:31 AM
Sheldon Brown

CraigNJ wrote:

Is an 11-23 cassette compatible with my 1996 Trek 2300 road bike if I
update the drivetrain to Ultegra 6600 series (with triple) from the
existing Ultegra 600 series (with double)?

I'm 99% sure that your hub is not designed to accept an 11 tooth
sprocket. It's easy enough to check, just pop the cassette off and look
at the Freehub body.

Compare with the photos at:

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#hyperdrivec

I really think you'd be better off with the 12-23, that 16 in the middle
might be a very pleasant gear.

If you ride where the climbs don't require anything smaller than the 23,
it is very unlikely that you'll find any descents worthy of the 11.

If you really think an 11 would be more useful to you than a 16, it
isn't difficult to modify the hub to accept the 11, as explained on that
page.

Sheldon "Seize Moi" Brown
| To do nothing is also a good remedy. |
| --Hippocrates |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old May 26th 05, 01:35 PM
CraigNJ

Thanks, Sheldon. Good catch. I'll inspect the bike for that this
weekend.

Yes, it is/was an 8 speed.

FWIW, when I'm out of shape at the beginning of a season some of the
hills here in western NJ are really hard. Given that I'm approaching
50 and don't expect to ever be in great shape again (a pinched nerve
limits my riding), it's time to add the granny gear. With the
granny, I shouldn't need anything more than a 23 on the back.

FWIW (continued), on the other end, there are also some very sweet
stretches of long flat or gentle downslopes around here that last for
1 to 4 miles. (And down at the south NJ shore it's all flat.) On
these I max out on the 53-12 (I can't spin the peddles as fast as
most, but still have power to spare), so an 11 would be very sweet for
those stretches. I'd be tempted to make the modification to support
the 11 if that's what it takes. (Seems better & more effective than
making the 53 a little bigger.)

Thanks again. I'll let you know what I see.

Craig in NJ

Old May 26th 05, 02:07 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

CraigNJ wrote:
Is an 11-23 cassette compatible with my 1996 Trek 2300 road bike if I
update the drivetrain to Ultegra 6600 series (with triple) from the
existing Ultegra 600 series (with double)?

Craig in NJ

yes, of course. If the cogset with the 11t cannot be tightened, add a
1mm spacer onto the freehub body first, then tighten all the way.

Old July 2nd 05, 01:34 AM
CraigNJ

The local bike shop helped me get a good look -- it's the non-compact
body. It sounds like I'll need to grind off a little of the splines
at the top, but ...

But the mechanic there dropped an 11t cog on top in place of the 12
and seemed able to screw it all together, so he's thinking it won't be
necessary to modify the body. Could that be true, or maybe we're just
fooling ourselves because we didn't try it with a whole new cassette?

Craig in NJ

Old July 2nd 05, 06:50 AM
JeffWills

CraigNJ wrote:
The local bike shop helped me get a good look -- it's the non-compact
body. It sounds like I'll need to grind off a little of the splines
at the top, but ...

But the mechanic there dropped an 11t cog on top in place of the 12
and seemed able to screw it all together, so he's thinking it won't be
necessary to modify the body. Could that be true, or maybe we're just
fooling ourselves because we didn't try it with a whole new cassette?

The 11-tooth cog will slip on, but you might not be able to get the
entire cassette clamped on properly. Put all the cogs and spacers on,
including the 11-tooth, and then the lock ring. Make sure all the cogs
are tight once you're cranked down on the lock ring. If they're not
tight, put a thin spacer on the cassette body before installing the
cassette- there's a Shimano spacer that's 0.3mm thick that should do
the trick.

If nothing wiggles with the lock ring in place, you're good to go.

Jeff

Old July 2nd 05, 07:11 AM
meb

JeffWills Wrote:
CraigNJ wrote:
The local bike shop helped me get a good look -- it's th

non-compact
body. It sounds like I'll need to grind off a little of the splines
at the top, but ...

But the mechanic there dropped an 11t cog on top in place of the 12
and seemed able to screw it all together, so he's thinking it won'

be
necessary to modify the body. Could that be true, or maybe we'r

just
fooling ourselves because we didn't try it with a whole ne

cassette?

The 11-tooth cog will slip on, but you might not be able to get the
entire cassette clamped on properly. Put all the cogs and spacers on,
including the 11-tooth, and then the lock ring. Make sure all the cogs
are tight once you're cranked down on the lock ring. If they're not
tight, put a thin spacer on the cassette body before installing the
cassette- there's a Shimano spacer that's 0.3mm thick that should do
the trick.

If nothing wiggles with the lock ring in place, you're good to go.

Jeff

What about slipping the 11T on with one of the remaining sprocket
removed?
Sacrificing a cog, but averts the need to modify the carrier

--
meb

Old July 2nd 05, 02:36 PM
CraigNJ

That's sort of what the mechanic did -- he had the entire old 8-speed
cassette on but with the 12t replaced by an 11t, and then the lock
ring. He said it looked like he could get the lock ring to tighten.
Could he be right that there's no need for additional spacers or
grinding down the top lip of the splines to accomodate the 11t
securely? Or maybe there's something we can't see that makes it
mechanically unsufficient without grinding down the splines a little?

I'm thinking that just to be safe, I'll want to do the grinding down
anyway. I'm not quite sure how much, though, or at what angle. I'm
guessing the best would be straight/flat, not angled, grinding off of
the splines down by a distance that is exactly the thickness of the
part of the 11t that is not cut through for the splines, e.g., maybe
0.5mm or so. Is that right? That might be just one or two threads,
right? That sounds pretty easy to do, and maybe not too dangerous to
sacrifice one or two threads.

Craig in NJ