cutting gear cable housing without a Dremel

Old July 3rd 05, 12:05 PM

Default cutting gear cable housing without a Dremel

Hi

Am having a terrible time chewing up my Campagnolo gear cable housing
with the cutters I have (quite new Park CN10 which I'm OK with for
cutting brake housing). The results look as if someone has purposely
tried to make something resembling a crown. I know these housings are
are quite difficult to cut anyway so ...

My questions a

How much does this chewed up end really matter - can I just ignore it?

What could I be doing wrong/how to improve the results with what I
have? (I try to cut quickly and I don't think the cable or cutter is
twisting during that process much - what else could be the problem?)

I can't justify buying a Dremel just for this task really but I wish I
had one!

Cheers

cccrider

Old July 3rd 05, 01:33 PM
richard

1. (Not tried this myself) have a piece of an old cable in the housing
where you cut it

2. Justify a trip to a bike shop and see if you can talk them out of
one (old?) spoke. Cut it at an angle to make a reemer. (I've seen more
than one shop do it this way.)

3. Look around at that shop. I found several pairs of Wrench Force
cutters at $12.

FWIW, I once used a Dremel. I found I still needed to use a reemer...

Old July 3rd 05, 03:36 PM

Cheers, that is definitely worth a go as even I've got a hacksaw and
file: I'll try it out in a mo' - thanks. Just back here seeing what
people made of the rather awkward curve when routing the right hand
gear cable through the right hand down tube cable stop: looks like I'm
going to try out criss-crossing the cables! All good fun trying to put
a bike together from scratch with no previous experience

cccrider

Old July 3rd 05, 05:21 PM
Leo Lichtman

hgyi8 wrote: (clip) I can't justify buying a Dremel just for this task
really but I wish I had one!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Don't buy it for that particular task. Buy it for all the ways you will use
it for the rest of your life.

Old July 3rd 05, 10:55 PM
Kinky Cowboy

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 16:21:33 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

hgyi8 wrote: (clip) I can't justify buying a Dremel just for this task
really but I wish I had one!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Don't buy it for that particular task. Buy it for all the ways you will use
it for the rest of your life.

That would be my answer; once you have one, so many tasks become
easier you wonder why you waited so long to get it.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old July 4th 05, 07:52 AM
Werehatrack

wrote:

hgyi8 wrote: (clip) I can't justify buying a Dremel just for this task
really but I wish I had one!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Don't buy it for that particular task. Buy it for all the ways you will use
it for the rest of your life.

That would be my answer; once you have one, so many tasks become
easier you wonder why you waited so long to get it.

And if you shop around a bit, they aren't even expensive. For the
number of things that they can do, getting one is well worth the
price.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Work stand, truing stand and tool kit for $350 chris c General 18 April 30th 05 11:18 AM
cutting through break outer cable strawberry Mountain Biking 11 April 13th 05 11:58 AM
cable housing [email protected] UK 4 November 30th 04 10:34 AM
Anything Magic About Campy Derailleur Cable Housing? Arthur Shapiro Techniques 12 September 9th 04 02:54 AM
How to install shifter cable on Ultegra brake/shift lever? Kevin General 5 August 5th 03 05:37 PM