Kestrel outsourcing Talon mfg?

Old July 11th 05, 10:44 PM
Alex Rodriguez

Default Kestrel outsourcing Talon mfg?

In article ,
LETETHIS says...

She was told by her shop (La Bicicletta in Toronto) that Kuota supposedly
has their forks manufactured "in the same factory that produces Kestrel
forks"--apparently in Taiwan.

If that is true, then I suggest you look to a different brand. You might
want to ask some rather pointed questions at the bike shop.

Kestrel is not a new brand trying to break into the bike business. They
basically created the after market carbon fork market. They make excellent
forks and they carry a lifetime warranty on them. It could very well be that
the forks are made in the same factory, but have very different designs. I
personally keep away from any company that comes out of nowhere and jumps into
the high end bike business trying to sell really lightweight components. You
are letting them use you are a guinea pig.
----------------
Alex

Old July 12th 05, 02:42 AM
B Paton

"Alex Rodriguez" wrote in message
[...]

Kestrel seems to be selling its "superior design" if you check its current
website, though it is light on the details of manufacturing--no doubt
because "'Made in China" does not inspire much confidence. The OP was
wondering about the quality control aspect of their manufacturing. If the
same workers&management who produce death-traps for other companies are also
making Kestrel forks...

Well, do what you like, but if I was buying a new CF frame and fork, I'd buy
Time, Giant or Trek.
Blake

Old July 12th 05, 08:30 AM
A Muzi

H. Guy wrote:

I was always fascinated by the Kestrels of yo the full monocoque SCi
and EMS. Now that I can consider buying one, I see that their bikes all
appear to be two-piecers: a front & rear triangle stuck together in some
manner.

I've also heard that they are outsourcing the manufacturing to China to
make them more price competitive. Anybody have the full scoop (and
reports of what the QC is like if that's the case)?

Never having had the chance to ride the old swoopy frames, I have no
idea how these new ones compare. Might I be better served by seeking
out an older monocoque instead of the glued/bolted ones they're
putting out now? I'd always heard how great the old ones felt, but
the new ones, frankly, don't feel that different from the other bikes
i've been trying on.

TIA for any reports/advice/personal anecdotes.

I own a 1994 200SCi.

The biggest difference besides the lighter overall lighter
weight of the new bikes is that the seat angle is slacker
across the line. On a current bike you'll use an optional
forward position post with aerobars. I ended up using a
plain straight post with a steel clip to get the seat back
behind the pedals -this after trying several post designs.

Yes new models are molded in sections which is why at every
level Kestrels are less expensive now. The mold size is half
as massive and less complex. Molds are cut here and yes,
molded overseas. The official party line at Kestrel is that
they were unable to expand their California painting
facility and so moved.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org