Mountain Bikers Are Angry That Their Illegal "Stunts" Were Removedfrom Coe State Park (CA)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 27th 11, 05:34 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Mountain Bikers Are Angry That Their Illegal "Stunts" Were Removedfrom Coe State Park (CA)

No wonder the parks need to be closed!

Mike

Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:59:31 -0700
From: Ross Finlayson
Subject: Timm Trail at Coe

On Saturday, I rode down the Timm Trail at Coe (for the first time in
months). At first, I was surprised to see that the top of the trail
was starting to look overgrown; not many people had ridden it
recently. And then I found out why: In recent months, someone has
gone through and removed all (yes, all) of the little log jump thingys
that had been found throughout the trail (and which had given the
trail its special character).

Now, as many of you know, I'm not a big fan of 'stunts'. Some of them
are gratuitous, and I especially dislike the ones that are made from
milled lumber (because I find them to be an artificial visual
intrusion into the surroundings). And the especially difficult stunts
make me angry, because I'm jealous that I'm too much of a wimp to ride
them :-)

But the little log jump thingys (they didn't really deserve the name
'stunts') on the Timm Trail were different: They were formed using
dead branches around naturally downed logs, they were easy to ride
over (and not dangerous), and in each case, there was an alternative
way around if you didn't want to ride over them. To go through the
trail and remove all of these seems petty and mean spirited.

In the past year or so there has been too much petty sanitizing going
on at Coe. This is the kind of crap I'd come to expect from Midpen. I
expected better from State Parks, especially at Coe.

Ross.