Question about a road just west of Grand Junction, Colorado

Old June 19th 05, 04:12 AM
Ted

Default Question about a road just west of Grand Junction, Colorado

I'm planning a road bike trip starting from Grand Junction and going
over to Moab. I'm looking for possible alternatives to just riding
along Interstate 70.

I was looking at the Google map for the area just west of Grand
Junction, where Hwy 50 comes out onto 70. A little ways down 70 there
looks like some unnamed road which goes south to the railroad tracks
and follows it. Does anyone know if this road is dirt or paved? (or
even there at all?) If its actually there and its paved it looks like
it goes all the way to road 128, which I plan on taking over to Moab.

Thanks for any help,
Ted

Old June 21st 05, 07:04 PM

That area is pretty desolate.... it isn't 100% clear which road you're
talking about, but it is almost certainly unpaved if it exists.

I'm not sure WHY you want to go that way, but highway 6 will work for
you as far as it goes (which at least gets you into Utah, at the first
Utah exit off I-70). Plus, it has stores and people on it in case you
need anything. From there it's two exits on I-70 to the cutoff for
Moab. (If I remember correctly the road through Cottonwood is paved,
but it's been a few years).

Be VERY sure to go through the Colorado National Monument - one of the
most spectacular road rides in America. If you ride in at the southeast
entrance, and exit in Fruita, it is only a small detour and well worth
it. Get going early in the day, since it's darned hot, and they only
staff the toll booths after about 8AM.

Old June 21st 05, 08:25 PM
Ted

Thanks for the info. I was just considering some alternative routes.
I'll sure I'll stick with Hwy 6/ Hwy 70. I'm definitely planning on
riding into Colorado Nat. Monument, I've been wanting to ride thru
there for many years and I am now finally going to do it. I plan on
going out there in the beginning of October so hopefully the weather
will be good.

Grand Junction seems like a great place for a week long trip as you
have Colorado Nat. Monument and also Arches Nat. park within riding
distance.

Old June 21st 05, 09:10 PM

Be sure to use "old" highway 6. Nowadays route 6 is the same as I-70 as
it crosses the border. Get an older map, and 6 is separate all the way
to Utah.

There is a road that goes due west out of the Colorado National
Monument. It's paved inside the monument, and is paved at least until
the general store that's a few miles west of the monument. That might
continue west for a good way - but I've never ridden further than the
general store.

If you're in the area for a few days, ride east out of Grand Junction
and climb up Grand Mesa (Route 65 east off the interstate, then it
turns south in the town of Mesa, then it goes UP past the ski areas and
tops out over 10,000 feet). One of the nicest climbs around.

Old June 22nd 05, 08:50 PM
Ted

Now you've given me a reason to add another day or two to my trip! Does
the town of Mesa have any places to get food or water?
I measured it to be about a 70 mile trip from Grand Junction to Mesa
and back. How much futher do you have to go past Mesa to get to
10,000ft?

Old June 24th 05, 02:06 AM

Hm, replied yesterday, didn't show up....

From Grand Junction to Mesa is 30 miles of boring, hazardous flat

highway. The fun only starts there. If you can bum a ride at least to
the interstate exit (49) that would cut down on the boredom.

From Mesa south things are pretty. It's about 22 miles from the

junction of 65 (the road to ride on) and 330, and goes from 5200 feet
to the 10,800 foot summit. It also goes from hot and dry to cool and
nice (plus there's a very nice lake at the top to cool off in). Takes
maybe 2 1/2 hours to climb (the descent is faster :-)

The summit is a state (or federal?) park, there's a visitor center but
no food. Maybe a drink machine, but that's it. There is a tiny little
store in Mesa, but nothing in between. (And I really mean nothing -
virtually zero buildings). There is the ski area but it's all closed in
summer.

Sunday Times: Death row: Britain's most dangerous road Sufaud UK 45 September 28th 04 09:06 PM
Gears Question Road Bike Ben Australia 3 August 1st 04 09:06 AM
Last Chance Road [email protected] Rides 1 April 29th 04 02:38 AM
Sierra Nevada - Tioga/Sonora Pass [email protected] Rides 1 November 3rd 03 08:52 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM