Anti-bike feeling on UK trails

Old June 28th 05, 02:30 PM

Default Anti-bike feeling on UK trails

Can anybody explain to me why mountain bikes seem to be reviled in some
parts of the UK countryside?

First of all, I can't tell why mountain bikes aren't allowed on
footpaths. I can see that some paths are too narrow to be easily ridden
on and there are often gates in the way, but surely that's shouldn't
stop somebody trying to use them. Bikes cause no more erosion than
walking and can't be more trouble to crops or livestock than a walker
with a dog. Obviously a cyclist can be a threat to a walker, but so can
a dog or a person with a stick if he's behaving like an arsehole. It's
down to the person, not what they're using to navigate the trail.

I'm also not sure why landowners seem so angry when they meet bikers
who have gone a bit astray. Last weekend, I was out on a ride that
admittedly used some footpaths. On a couple of occasions, the signs
weren't that great and I accidentally ended up on a bit of track that
was not officially a footpath, although it was less than 100 yards from
where the footpath was. Both times, I was literally shouted at by
landowners for being in the wrong place. I was riding on paths that had
clearly been used as tracks for vehicles, so I can't have been doing
any damage.

I don't object to being told I'm in the wrong place, but this wasn't "I
think you're a bit lost mate," this was being chased by a landrover and
having somebody yell "what the hell do you think you're playing at?"

What's up with that?? On the one hand I'm annoyed, because I like off
road riding and can't see why it's such a problem. On the other hand,
I'd like to have more sympathy for people who object so I can work out
how not to annoy them.

Peter

Old July 1st 05, 12:40 PM
Douglas Steel

Can anybody explain to me why mountain bikes seem to be reviled in some
parts of the UK countryside?

Which parts of the UK ? Remember the access laws and attitudes are far
more bike (and hiker) friendly in Scotland vs the rest of the UK.

First of all, I can't tell why mountain bikes aren't allowed on
footpaths. I can see that some paths are too narrow to be easily ridden
on and there are often gates in the way, but surely that's shouldn't
stop somebody trying to use them. Bikes cause no more erosion than
walking and can't be more trouble to crops or livestock than a walker
with a dog. Obviously a cyclist can be a threat to a walker, but so can
a dog or a person with a stick if he's behaving like an arsehole. It's
down to the person, not what they're using to navigate the trail.

One problem is that (in England + Wales at least) it is legally classed
trespass to use a bike on a footpath, so you shouldn't be there. If you
stick to where you are permitted to ride e.g. designated cycle routes,
bridleways, RUPPs (roads used as public paths), BOATs (Byways open to all
Traffic) you will find the attitude of other path users and land owners
is far more friendly. What people don't like is someone flouting the
law, not necessarily whether they are causing any erosion or nuisance.
You risk antagonising people who (perhaps rightly) think you shouldn't
be there.

I'm also not sure why landowners seem so angry when they meet bikers
who have gone a bit astray. Last weekend, I was out on a ride that
admittedly used some footpaths. On a couple of occasions, the signs
weren't that great and I accidentally ended up on a bit of track that
was not officially a footpath, although it was less than 100 yards from
where the footpath was. Both times, I was literally shouted at by
landowners for being in the wrong place. I was riding on paths that had
clearly been used as tracks for vehicles, so I can't have been doing
any damage.

Simply because you shouldn't have been there ! This isn't restricted
to bikers, I've experienced this attitude when out hiking as well,
stray off the path and the "gerroffmyland" brigade get up in arms
(sometimes literally).

I don't object to being told I'm in the wrong place, but this wasn't "I
think you're a bit lost mate," this was being chased by a landrover and
having somebody yell "what the hell do you think you're playing at?"

Well - what were you playing at ? Unfortunately they have the law
on their side, so although they were being rude, unhelpful (and probably
dangerous) in trying to convey this message to you.

What's up with that?? On the one hand I'm annoyed, because I like off
road riding and can't see why it's such a problem. On the other hand,
I'd like to have more sympathy for people who object so I can work out
how not to annoy them.

I've done a lot of off road riding around the Chilterns (and other
areas) and there is quite an extensive bridleway network, be
courteous (especially to horses + riders !) and generally
everyone is friendly (or at least tolerant) and I haven't the same
sort of problems you describe - perhaps because I stick to where
I'm allowed to be ?

If only the new access laws being put into place in England and Wales
were as bike friendly :-(

Doug

posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see
http://rbor.org/