Experiment determines drivers do not see 22% of cyclists in clearview.

Old May 27th 15, 05:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Experiment determines drivers do not see 22% of cyclists in clearview.

But I wonder whether they did actually see and register a higher
percentage than 78% of "cyclists in clear view", even though they may
not have looked directly at them.

http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/4374.html

--
JS
Old May 27th 15, 11:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 12:37:41 AM UTC-4, James wrote:
But I wonder whether they did actually see and register a higher
percentage than 78% of "cyclists in clear view", even though they may
not have looked directly at them.

http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/4374.html

--
JS

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

A. who would know

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/26/sc...ing-trust.html

no sooner, did I post that, my research is Darwinist in nature, with a rare possibly unique photo as he

https://plus.google.com/photos/10223...59580640424681

did the ditto Googlers chop the photo's head off with Picasa, the alleged robot text.

Old May 27th 15, 11:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 12:37:41 AM UTC-4, James wrote:
But I wonder whether they did actually see and register a higher
percentage than 78% of "cyclists in clear view", even though they may
not have looked directly at them.

http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/4374.html

--
JS

what's the scoop on

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Buff+ka...5053&efirst=32

Old May 27th 15, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 5:37:41 AM UTC+1, James wrote:
But I wonder whether they did actually see and register a higher
percentage than 78% of "cyclists in clear view", even though they may
not have looked directly at them.

http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/4374.html

--
JS

There's psychology here that needs to be studied beyond the bare numbers, clearly underlying them. The one comment so far, by Duncan MacKillop, says "cyclists and motorcyclists have their own natural camouflage that prevents them from being perceived even in the best of circumstances and if something is camouflaged then it perceptually doesn't exist". It's an interesting observation. But I don't think that's so in a literal sense; many two-wheelers wear high-viz clothing. Still, MacKillop points the way. Not being perceived isn't a physical phenomenon, as "camouflaged" suggests, but a psychological block; the modifier of "camouflage", "natural" should carry the emphasis. I wouldn't be surprised if it is somehow linked to, perhaps an extension of, the widespread attitude that cycling is the "poverty choice". That would be a good hypothesis for an insurance company to investigate, probably dressed up a bit from my blunt statement for political acceptability.

Congratulations to Direct Line Car Insurance on their initiative.

Andre Jute
Ride like you're invisible to motorists
Old May 27th 15, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ride like you're invisible to motorists

yeah take the lane..

Jute's psychology is firmly anchored in the http://goo.gl/pSlDVc century then ropes out into noblesso obligio .

the perceived is all one...from the object's position...if you aren't thinking it you are not in facto seeing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noblesse_oblige

when that serves your best interests, off corsa.
Old May 27th 15, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

What can you do with a zero-humour, literal clown like Franki-boy Krygowski?

Yo, moron, if you read what I write instead of what you wish, for your own perverse purposes, I should write, you would have discovered years ago, because I've often said so, here and elsewhere, that I am a conspicuous cyclist. Motorists notice me because I represent expensive damage to the panelwork of their cars, and everything about my bike and my riding style announces it clearly.

If you had the brains that god gave the rear end of an earthworm, you would have noticed long, long ago that in riding style there is nothing to choose between us except that I very likely do it better, because I do most things better than a peasant like you, and I don't need to hide behind some formal "school" of riding as you do, but worked it out for myself from a little thought.

Another worthwhile thread ruined by the mindless antagonism of those ignorant clowns Krygowski and Daniels.

Andre Jute
Ride tall, because otherwise you will be invisible to automobile drivers

On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 9:13:10 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/27/2015 1:56 PM, wrote:
Ride like you're invisible to motorists

"Ride like you're invisible to motorists" is obviously nonsense. What
would you do - come to a stop every time a motor vehicle comes into view?

"Ride in a prominent, conspicuous road position, one that makes you
visible" is a lot more reasonable. In addition to drawing attention and
generating early notice, a prominent road position also gives you a lot
more escape room should something go wrong.

http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/...e-positioning/

--
- Frank Krygowski

Old May 27th 15, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 27 May 2015 13:58:00 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

Motorists notice me because I represent expensive damage to the
panelwork of their cars, and everything about my bike and my
riding style announces it clearly.

Like this?
http://inhabitat.com/insane-russian-attack-bike-is-powered-by-a-chainsaw/
That should keep cars at a distance.

Or, perhaps a scorched earth policy if you're hit?
http://www.koreandrama.today/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/boys-over-flowers-episode-4-attack-on-jan-di-burning-bicycle.jpg

Or, maybe it's the clothes that make the safe cyclist?
http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/382011c0e973c010730f6a706700e095.jpg

I like the invisible bicycle idea:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=invisible+bicycle
Only those who are worthy can see the emperors new bicycle.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 28th 15, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/27/2015 4:58 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
What can you do with a zero-humour, literal clown like Franki-boy Krygowski?

What can you do with a character like Jute who posts completely
nonsensical advice, then tries to excuse it by claiming his own riding
violates his own advice?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 28th 15, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

once again many years ago in our ville which boasts a flange of Fed and State coded roads...BLVD....planned interchange and bicycle paths...

I first mounted a small circle of dayglo orange on the reflector stand....The Sheriff's people said the 6" circle brought me into view from nowhere on a Blvd bike path to abt 1/4 mile plus.

Several months (36+) later Walmart began dayglo ing ......heavy stuff.
rubberized polyester.

......today we see...and so there are far fewer accidents today than would be otherwise.

but some stuff doesn't change.

coupla days ago slowly ran down a jersey rider riding into a no bike area before a flyover and turn under interchange.

die or take the side walk....

I blew the airhorn and went on...

I assume the rider 'took the lane' and traffic being fairly discrete didnah crush the baboon.

forgive us for Jute, Frank, his endorphins and self esteam spearus in another continent ...for his protection.

try to see him as entertaining....Sergeant Blimp of The Gold Fields....