How flat are The Netherlands?

Old May 21st 20, 10:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default How flat are The Netherlands?

Maybe as a welcome distraction from the political and Covid-19 related mudslinging. We closed our Vancouver BC branch a year ago. Some colleagues moved over here and one of them is a close colleague now. I asked him what he found was special about The Netherlands. The first thing he mentioned: 'it is so incredibly flat'. Hmm... i didn't knew that ;-) and I paid attention during my 114 km ride yesterday in which I managed a total elevation gain of a whopping 124 m (Strava corrected value). I took a random picture along the route:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1ssWbEvubmNiMxXf8

Yeah it is really flat I must admit.

have a nice day

Lou
Old May 21st 20, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 2:56:08 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Maybe as a welcome distraction from the political and Covid-19 related mudslinging. We closed our Vancouver BC branch a year ago. Some colleagues moved over here and one of them is a close colleague now. I asked him what he found was special about The Netherlands. The first thing he mentioned: 'it is so incredibly flat'. Hmm... i didn't knew that ;-) and I paid attention during my 114 km ride yesterday in which I managed a total elevation gain of a whopping 124 m (Strava corrected value). I took a random picture along the route:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1ssWbEvubmNiMxXf8

Yeah it is really flat I must admit.

have a nice day

Lou

Holland is so flat that most of the cargo is moved by barges on their many canal systems. Most of their cities and industries are built around the canals. While there must be some high spots they are few and far between. The windmill systems used to pump the water around so that they could go from lock to lock and keep the canals filled.

There are many places in the lowlands where there are hillocks that are incredibly steep as is often demonstrated in the Belgium classics and are also present in relatively flat Pennsylvania, but the majority of these places are flat. Those places are geologically unique.
Old May 21st 20, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Axel Reichert

writes:

On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 2:56:08 AM UTC-7, wrote:
114 km [...] elevation gain of a whopping 124 m

There are many places in the lowlands where there are hillocks that
are incredibly steep as is often demonstrated in the Belgium classics

For several years I lived in the tri-point area (Germany, Netherlands,
Belgium). This is where I became addicted to cycling. I preferred to
ride in the Netherlands (friendly drivers, good roads) over Belgium
(friendly drivers, terrible roads) and Germany (unfriendly drivers, good
roads).

That area is very hilly in comparison to Munich (which is thought be
pre-Alps ...). I had a favourite round trip of 60 km with 1000 m
elevation gain (mostly short, steep hillocks), whereas here I gather
maybe 250 m on the same distance.

The Dutch (not Belgian) Amstel Gold Race goes through that area (after
around 100 km pan-cake flat warm-up). I did one of the shorter tourist
versions of that race and picked the one without the flat warm-up, but
the hills concentrated. It had 2000 m elevation gain for 150 km. I saw
many people push their bikes, who did not expect any significant
climbing there.

It is a great area, I can highly recommend it. It is the exception,
though, the rest of the country is indeed flat.

Best regards

Axel
--
-X- | in memoriam John Conway
--X | 1937-2020
Old May 21st 20, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 7:49:14 PM UTC+2, Axel Reichert wrote:
writes:

[...]

Indeed, it is about 70 km from where I live. Short (1-2 km) 5-15% climbs but a lot of them within a short distance. I have a 110 km route with 1600 m elevation gain.

Lou
Old May 21st 20, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Axel Reichert wrote:
writes:
On Thursday, May 21, , wrote:
114 km [...] elevation gain of a whopping 124 m

There are many places in the lowlands where there are hillocks that
are incredibly steep as is often demonstrated in the Belgium classics

For several years I lived in the tri-point area (Germany, Netherlands,
Belgium). This is where I became addicted to cycling. I preferred to
ride in the Netherlands (friendly drivers, good roads) over Belgium
(friendly drivers, terrible roads) and Germany (unfriendly drivers, good
roads).

That area is very hilly in comparison to Munich (which is thought be
pre-Alps ...). I had a favourite round trip of 60 km with 1000 m
elevation gain (mostly short, steep hillocks), whereas here I gather
maybe 250 m on the same distance.

You definitively need a super fast, but more comfortable new bike because
your 60 km round trip is too short to catch more hills. Without an Emonda,
you are essentially limited to riding in circles including Harlachinger Berg
and Grynwalder Bridge bridge.

The Dutch (not Belgian) Amstel Gold Race goes through that area (after
around 100 km pan-cake flat warm-up). I did one of the shorter tourist
versions of that race and picked the one without the flat warm-up, but
the hills concentrated. It had 2000 m elevation gain for 150 km. I saw
many people push their bikes, who did not expect any significant
climbing there.

It is a great area, I can highly recommend it. It is the exception,
though, the rest of the country is indeed flat.

I think it's all the heavy Holstein-Friesian cattle's fault! See how
everything is flat on the photo where they stomp? It's a pattern, I'm
telling you.
Old May 21st 20, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 10:49:14 AM UTC-7, Axel Reichert wrote:
writes:

[...]

I just took a couple of hours and did 538 m in 58 km but it is almost all in 5 km. I assume that is what you mean about people pushing their bikes.
Old May 21st 20, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

writes:

[...]

I got that elevation on my 25km lunch ride with no epic climbing -- just the usual climb into the West Hills. If you want to rack up serious elevation in town, you have to do laps.
https://ridewithgps.com/ambassador_r...on-of-de-ronde There are no 4 mile climbs until you get out of town.

The Santa Clara Valley is the place to live because you can ride flat all day or head up into the hills. Hills are totally elective, and there are some spectacular climbs. Where I live, there is always a mandatory climb to get home unless I start by going up. Not a long climb, but at the end of a hard ride, I wish there was a rope tow.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 22nd 20, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

writes:

[...]

Our normal Tuesday ride before businesses were closed was 37 miles and 3,400 feet of climbing including many places with as much as 14%. Since there's no place to stop now I am stuck doing rides where I do a continuous ride. That is generally limited to 35 miles but last Saturday it was 50 miles and 2400 feet. Although on the climb back up to the Golden Gate bridge I did stop on the climb but more from the stress of the damn traffic than being exhausted.
Old May 22nd 20, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/21/2020 3:23 PM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Axel Reichert wrote:
writes:
[...]