Showa Front Bag Rack

Old August 16th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Showa Front Bag Rack

All,

I have an old front back rack, made by Showa, that I got around 1975.
It's made of round 1/4" steel rods, & welded. It clamps to the stem,
and holds a bag made by Camp Trails.

Does anybody know if a newer one is available?

Thanks!

Phil

Old August 17th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:44:25 -0700, Dan

On 16 Aug 2006 15:54:45 -0700, wrote:

All,

I have an old front back rack, made by Showa, that I got around 1975.
It's made of round 1/4" steel rods, & welded. It clamps to the stem,
and holds a bag made by Camp Trails.

Does anybody know if a newer one is available?

Thanks!

Phil

Dear Phil,

Some bicycle bag and luggage racks:

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?c...it=y&pagename=

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_id=2325

Some handlebar bags:

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?c...it=y&pagename=

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_id=2312

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Carl,

Your links seem to be to rear racks while the OP has asked about front
racks. Possibly:

http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/baggage_racks/20075.html

or these:

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...gory=84&type=T

But he sez that the one he has connects to the stem. I don't know of a
contemporary rack that does.

Dear Dan,

Most are rear racks, but some are front.

The Nashbar link includes 5 front racks:
http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?c...it=y&pagename=

The Performance link includes only a single front pannier rack:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_id=2325

BikeToolsEtc includes some front racks:
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...nents&sc=Racks

Cambria has more front racks:
http://www.cambriabike.com/shopdispl...cat=Bike+Racks

You have to browse to find the less-common front racks.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old August 17th 06, 11:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Earl Bollinger

I think you might have to use something like this rack now
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=
as most modern bikes do not have enough room around the stem to get a clamp
all the way around it anymore.
Plus the stem is a lot more thick now. The new threadless headsets, oversize
fork stems, gussetting or fillers that they use make the stems a lot larger
in diameter than the older bikes.
This front rack uses the two braze on posts for the cantilever brakes and
the center post hole on the fork, in order to mount the rack.

Old August 17th 06, 11:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Earl Bollinger

Ooh.... I might have to get this one for myself too.
http://www.cambriabike.com/Shopexd.asp?id=16682