Death following the ATB

Old October 23rd 06, 04:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rory Williams

Default Death following the ATB

Dear all

Those of you who were following the ATB last week will have seen that
there was an accident on the which resulted in a person being
transported the the Alfred Hospital. It was one of those reported as a
'heat attack'.

I have now been made aware that it was someone I knew.

As I think has been reported earlier, A rider ahead struck an object on
the road and fell off his bike. My friend was unable to avoid the fallen
bike and fell himself. He suffered severe spinal damage to at least
seven vertebrae which triggered a cardiac arrest.

Over the next five days he failed to regain consciousness. He died on
Thursday 19 October.

I first met Tom in 1978 when I began senior Athletics. Over the years
we ran in many races and he taught me may things about determination
and discipline. He was also a well repected cross-country runner and
rower. I the last two times I saw him was on the bike, at a previous
ATB and one Sunday morning a year or so back down on Beach Rd.

Please be careful out there

RoryW

--
Rory Williams

Old October 23rd 06, 04:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2006-10-23, Rory Williams (aka Bruce)
I have now been made aware that it was someone I knew.

As I think has been reported earlier, A rider ahead struck an object on
the road and fell off his bike. My friend was unable to avoid the fallen
bike and fell himself. He suffered severe spinal damage to at least
seven vertebrae which triggered a cardiac arrest.

Over the next five days he failed to regain consciousness. He died on
Thursday 19 October.

Sorry Rory; this is rather terrible news.

My condolences to everyone involved.

--
TimC
ALU n. Arthritic Logic Unit, or (rare) Arithmetic Logic Unit. A random
Old October 23rd 06, 04:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

Our condolences to Tom's family & friends.

Vale Tom.

--
cfsmtb

Old October 23rd 06, 09:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Michael Warner

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:00:34 +1000, Rory Williams wrote:

As I think has been reported earlier, A rider ahead struck an object on
the road and fell off his bike. My friend was unable to avoid the fallen
bike and fell himself. He suffered severe spinal damage to at least
seven vertebrae which triggered a cardiac arrest.

Over the next five days he failed to regain consciousness. He died on
Thursday 19 October.

I heard that the other day - condolences to family and friends. It must be
horrible for anyone else involved in the accident or who tried to help on
the scene, too.

BikeSA had the last of the 200km "Grand Slam" series yesterday (I came
2nd, thanks to blatant cheating by someone who didn't stop with the
rest of my group at a refreshment point!) It was much hillier and tougher
than the ATB ride of the same distance, so I hope there were no similar
disasters.

Old October 23rd 06, 03:21 PM posted to aus.bicycle
ritcho

Rory Williams Wrote:
Dear all

Those of you who were following the ATB last week will have seen that
there was an accident on the which resulted in a person being
transported the the Alfred Hospital. It was one of those reported as a
'heat attack'.

I have now been made aware that it was someone I knew.

RoryW

I went past this incident as the ambulance arrived and hoped everything
was ok. Sadly, this wasn't the case. There isn't anything to say to
those close to the victim, except that your loss is shared.

Ritch

--
ritcho

Old October 23rd 06, 11:23 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

Rory Williams wrote:

[...]

Tom sounds like an awesome character. My deepest sympathies
to those close to him.

Stay safe people.