BBB-41 Powerlock Bicycle Lock

Old December 4th 17, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default BBB-41 Powerlock Bicycle Lock

On 12/4/2017 3:10 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
sms wrote:

I was comparing a lock with the same diameter
cable, name brand, this one with 5 keys
instead of 3 keys.

5 keys? You US people sure loose a lot of
keys But yes, it seems like
a fair comparison.

It would seem the BBB-41 is the unique
identifier used internally as well when they
refer to the product.

How much do you pay for a 12 mm wire bike lock
at AMuzi's, if it isn't a secret?

It's just a retail $19.95 lock. 2-meter cable lock x 12mm is
a commodity.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 4th 17, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

the sky is blue grass is green .5 inch cable is wide n wider than your cable duh

if thieves abound cable will unround

better off with flat grade 8 chain or pipe/lock or bring it with you

Old December 5th 17, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 04 Dec 2017 14:43:44 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

I just bought a BBB-41 Powerlock Bicycle Lock,
which is a twinned multi-wire within
a plastic enclosement.

The diameter is 12 mm and the length is 180 cm.
It is a "7" on a scale perhaps (?) designating
overall difficulty to brake. The lock works
with BBL-92 and -93 which appears to be
fittings to hold bicycle gear on a/the bike,
from the same manufacturer.

You get three keys. Those are smaller than the
ones I'm used to for this kind of size lock.
Also, the keyhole doesn't have a lid so despite
being small (the smaller keys, remember?)
I suspect some water will make its way inside.
When the temperature gets below zero (C), this
could be a problem.

The lock is made in China tho BBB Cycling is of
the Netherlands. So no lack of
manufacturing/bike experience

The price is 289 SEK which I consider
a standard deal for a quality lock. However it
would still be interesting to hear what you
pay, or would pay, for the same product.

Given that many of the commercial "bicycle locks" can be rather easily
cut with hand tools I have always considered bicycle locking devices
as something the prevent a casual thief from stealing the bicycle and
am not prepared to spend a lot of money on one. I currently have a 5
foot length of steel chain and a padlock that I carry along if I plan
on leaving the bicycle unattended.

I believe that the price for my length of chain and padlock is
probably cheaper then the specially designed bicycle lock.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 5th 17, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

sms wrote:

I was comparing a lock with the same diameter
cable, name brand, this one with 5 keys
instead of 3 keys.

5 keys? You US people sure loose a lot of
keys But yes, it seems like
a fair comparison.

It would seem the BBB-41 is the unique
identifier used internally as well when they
refer to the product.

How much do you pay for a 12 mm wire bike lock
at AMuzi's, if it isn't a secret?

It's just a retail $19.95 lock. 2-meter cable lock x 12mm is
a commodity.

Goodness! Do these locks have an actual 1/2" steel cable?
(I had always taken that claim as advertising :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 5th 17, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

sms wrote:

I was comparing a lock with the same diameter
cable, name brand, this one with 5 keys
instead of 3 keys.

5 keys? You US people sure loose a lot of
keys But yes, it seems like
a fair comparison.

It would seem the BBB-41 is the unique
identifier used internally as well when they
refer to the product.

How much do you pay for a 12 mm wire bike lock
at AMuzi's, if it isn't a secret?

It's just a retail $19.95 lock. 2-meter cable lock x 12mm is
a commodity.

Goodness! Do these locks have an actual 1/2" steel cable?
(I had always taken that claim as advertising :-)

technically 0.47 inches
http://www.onguardlock.com/store/doberman-8031
(the 10mm model sells better)

but then again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ8FZnMYkyY
solid hardened steel U-lock, 9 seconds.

actual security cam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dz0Za5-wOM

Old December 5th 17, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

BBB supplies good quality stuff. I have some of their tools. For instance, my torque wrench set is from BBB, as good as new after about 20 years, and I bought it used from a shop that didn't have one in their stock to sell me, so I made them an offer they couldn't refuse for their own workshop set. It is a name you can trust.

In locks you generally get what you pay for. In Europe, it is widely considered that the best bicycle lock, best being the one that will delay the thief the longest rather than defeating him altogether, is the Abus 54 Granit X, which is a U-lock. I paid about Euro 60, including carriage for mine. A thief needs to bring his battery powered disc grinder along to cut that one.. Eventually I got tired of bending over to fit it, though I still carry it in a quick release clip under the seat to whack cars that pass me too close.

I now have a different anti-theft concept, though it should be pointed out that I live in such a low-crime area that I can leave drugs unattended in the basket, plainly labelled in the bag of the supplying pharmacy, while I go into shops and the library. Now I don't lock the bike, I merely make it impossible to ride away, or even to push, by unlocking the steer tube from the handlebars with a Swiss n'lock (that's right, all lower case. There's a full description at
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3930.0

Andre Jute
The zero maintenance cyclist

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 1:43:49 PM UTC, Emanuel Berg wrote:
[...]

underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Old December 5th 17, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

It's just a retail $19.95 lock. 2-meter cable
lock x 12mm is a commodity.

In the shop where I got this, a shop with
a 50/50 utility/sport as well as repair/sell
profile, there were also two other bike cable
locks but from Oxford, not BBB. I didn't check
the diameter tho but I'd say one of the Oxfords
was the same, the other thinner. The shop owner
said the BBB was of superior quality and this
was my intuition as well.

Old December 5th 17, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

Given that many of the commercial "bicycle
locks" can be rather easily cut with hand
tools

This cannot in reasonable time unless there is
a hand tool and/or method I'm unfamiliar with.
There is something with the plastic that
prevents you from getting the power down to the
wire. If you keep at it, you'll succeed
eventually, of course, but no thief will do
that out in the open to get a bike of this
(monetary) value.

I have always considered bicycle locking
devices as something the prevent a casual
thief from stealing the bicycle

It prevents the everyday drunk/messed up kid
from just rolling away with it. With this kind
of lock, that can't happen and for the
determined thief with tools etc there are many
other bikes right nearby which will be much
less work.

Old December 5th 17, 05:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Andre Jute wrote:

BBB supplies good quality stuff. I have some
of their tools.

Same here.

In locks you generally get what you pay for.
In Europe, it is widely considered that the
best bicycle lock, best being the one that
will delay the thief the longest rather than
defeating him altogether

That's right.

is the Abus 54 Granit X, which is a U-lock

I agree U-locks are the best in the terms you
describe however I like the cable locks for
another reason namely those can quickly be made
into a neat coil and put over the handlebar.
Whereas U-lock, unless properly fastened on the
frame, will slam back and forth like a pendulum
and hit your knee which is unpleasant to say
the least...

Old December 5th 17, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

sms wrote:

I was comparing a lock with the same diameter
cable, name brand, this one with 5 keys
instead of 3 keys.

5 keys? You US people sure loose a lot of
keys But yes, it seems like
a fair comparison.

It would seem the BBB-41 is the unique
identifier used internally as well when they
refer to the product.

How much do you pay for a 12 mm wire bike lock
at AMuzi's, if it isn't a secret?

It's just a retail $19.95 lock. 2-meter cable lock x 12mm is
a commodity.

Goodness! Do these locks have an actual 1/2" steel cable?
(I had always taken that claim as advertising :-)

technically 0.47 inches
http://www.onguardlock.com/store/doberman-8031
(the 10mm model sells better)

Out of curiosity (I'm too cheap to buy one :-) is that a 12mm steel
cable? Or 12mm over the steel cable and the plastic casing?

but then again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ8FZnMYkyY
solid hardened steel U-lock, 9 seconds.

I use a 4 inch angle grinder a great deal in metal working and that
guy doesn't seem to be working very hard. Using a 1mm cut-off wheel
that U lock should be cut even quicker.

actual security cam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dz0Za5-wOM

But every time I see bicycle locks I remember a time I parked in front
of a hardware store on a main street in Phuket, Thailand and
inadvertently locked my keys in the pickup. I'm sort of peering in the
window trying to figure out what to do and a well dressed Thai guy
comes walking by. "What's the matter? Lock your keys in the car?" I
tell him yes and he tells me to wait a minute, runs into the hardware
shop, borrows a 18" flat steel ruler and comes back and pops the lock.
I thank the guy profusely and we both go on about our business. With
me speculating on how the Thai Guy got so skillful :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.