Baltimore?

Old December 14th 04, 06:14 AM
Steve Juniper

Default Baltimore?

My son is planning to move with his family to Baltimore from central
Oregon. Anyone know if there are areas around there noticeably superior
for cycling, preferably where modest to moderate housing prices prevail.
(His first job after finishing PhD is in center of city.)
He wants to sail too, but I told him he can't have everything... at
least not yet...
Steve J
Old December 15th 04, 12:52 AM
Veloise

They have paddle boat rentals at the Inner Harbor.
--Karen M.
former resident of Druid Park Lake Drive

Old December 16th 04, 02:16 AM
Bob Clemons

Steve Juniper wrote:

My son is planning to move with his family to Baltimore from
central Oregon. Anyone know if there are areas around there noticeably
superior for cycling, preferably where modest to moderate housing
prices prevail. (His first job after finishing PhD is in center of city.)
He wants to sail too, but I told him he can't have everything...
at least not yet...
Steve J

The best road cycling that is reasonably close to Baltimore is probably
in western Howard County and Carroll County--rolling, hilly, mostly
wide-open country, lots of back roads. Riding in the
Baltimore-Washington corridor (northern Anne Arundel, eastern Howard,
southern Baltimore) is not as bad as you'd think although the area is
quite built up and you have to know your way around. I haven't done
much riding north of the city but I have found the terrain to be quite
choppy and the traffic always heaver than I expect.

The best place to live for sailing is the Annapolis area, which is also
convenient to the fine cycling roads in southern Anne Arundel and
Calvert Counties.

Houses are pretty expensive everywhere, but most expensive in Howard
County, and then cheaper as you head out into the wilderness and away
from the Baltimore-Washington corridor. I think that north of the city
is cheaper than south of the city.
-bob

Old December 17th 04, 06:01 AM
GPSBlake

http://www.bikewashington.org
covers a lot of rides in the Baltimore area.

My two favorites when I am there is the B&A rail trail that connects to
the BWI trail

and the North Central trail

Baltimore's light rail system allows bicycles to be brought on board
except during Oriole and Ravens games.

The thing good is that a lot of Maryland's roads have paved shoulders on
them, especially when you got out of the suburbs.

--
Cheers & Happy Holidays,
GPSBLake
Old January 3rd 05, 04:22 AM
Vegasfan

Steve Juniper wrote:
My son is planning to move with his family to Baltimore from central
Oregon. Anyone know if there are areas around there noticeably superior
for cycling, preferably where modest to moderate housing prices prevail.
(His first job after finishing PhD is in center of city.)
He wants to sail too, but I told him he can't have everything... at
least not yet...
Steve J

Steve,
I travel to the Baltimore area often for business and I usually stay
in Linthicum, a few miles SW of Baltimore. There is a great paved trail
that goes around the entire BWI airport and branches off to go to
Annapolis. It is used year round by bikers, runners, and walkers.

Clyde

WTB: Inexpensive bike in Baltimore j morelstein Marketplace 0 September 10th 04 03:00 AM
Baltimore -- DC w/o Annapolis H Rides 2 June 22nd 04 12:58 PM
Baltimore j morelstein Techniques 1 September 9th 03 05:24 PM