What used touring bike to look for?

Old October 28th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

Default What used touring bike to look for?

In article ,
wrote:

"noweldrecumbent" wrote:

I will second the Schwinn Voyageur Tourer, I have one, it is a joy
to ride. My Trek 520, and it is solid, stable, sweet touring bike to
ride bought it at a garage sale for 2 dollars. when I'm not riding
the homebrew bent. Dave
http://www.noweldrecumbent.com

wow

two bucks for a Trek 520!

Now THAT was a bargain. Was it in good shape when you bought it?

My concern abt buying new is that I have no long distance touring
experience AT ALL.

I'm afraid I cold spend say $1500 on a new touring bike and then find
it to painful for anything over 40 miles....and have to take a loss
and buy a bent.

Umm. Do you have a bike now? If so, start riding 50-100 mile rides and
see how you feel. You can begin to refine your position and adapt your
body to be comfortable. Then you will have that information (saddle
height, saddle setback, reach to the bars, bar height) established,
which will help you in selecting the proper sized touring bike. You
might as well find out if you like long rides now! You can also do some
weekend credit card tours- ride out Saturday and home on Sunday- as a
gentle introduction to touring.
Old October 29th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Noweldrecumbent

A huge block garage sale with two city blocks of people selling goods, the
520 trek was laying up against a tree. Flat tires, crappy cables but other
than that it was good. I pulled it home alongside the bike I was riding.
Didn't have a price on it, but two dollars was what they asked for it. Mid
fork braze ons, aero brake levers, bio pace chain rings but it all worked
after putting tires on it. I once bought a Bianchi race bike for 17 dollars
at a garage sale, I sold it for 175.00 it was too tall for me.

wrote in message
"noweldrecumbent"
wrote:

I will second the Schwinn Voyageur Tourer, I have one, it is a joy to
ride.
My Trek 520, and it is solid, stable, sweet touring bike to ride bought it
at a garage sale for 2 dollars. when I'm not riding the homebrew bent.
Dave
http://www.noweldrecumbent.com

wow

two bucks for a Trek 520!

Now THAT was a bargain. Was it in good shape when you
bought it?

My concern abt buying new is that I have no long
distance touring experience AT ALL.

I'm afraid I cold spend say $1500 on a new touring bike
and then find it to painful for anything over 40
miles....and have to take a loss and buy a bent.

So.... maybe best for me to buy cheap used stuff and
get some REAL experience under my belt so I will find
these things out before the big ride

Old October 29th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Tim McNamara wrote:

Umm. Do you have a bike now? If so, start riding 50-100 mile rides and
see how you feel. You can begin to refine your position and adapt your
body to be comfortable. Then you will have that information (saddle
height, saddle setback, reach to the bars, bar height) established,
which will help you in selecting the proper sized touring bike. You
might as well find out if you like long rides now! You can also do some
weekend credit card tours- ride out Saturday and home on Sunday- as a
gentle introduction to touring.

I don't have any bike at all right now

So I'm going to have to buy something even if its used