Lane question

Old October 7th 05, 08:26 PM
Wayne Pein

Default Lane question

Zoot Katz wrote:

Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:41:39 -0500,
, "Roger Houston"
wrote:

Get real, we live in an industrial, mechanized society. Vehicles are
here to stay.

You are ****ing up a rope.

And you're blithly accepting the demonstrably unsustainable status
quo. I challenge it by riding my bicycle everywhere.

Too many bicyclists accept and reinforce inferior status by riding in an
inferior manner.

We need more ZOOT!

Wayne

Old October 7th 05, 09:02 PM
gds

Zoot Katz wrote:

And you're blithly accepting the demonstrably unsustainable status
quo. I challenge it by riding my bicycle everywhere.

I spent the weekend hiking above snow line in SW Colorado. Drove my SUV
500 miles on Friday to get there and then 14 miles of unmaintained
mountain roads to get get to the trail head- reachable only in a high
clearance 4WD vehicle. I find the ability to get far into the back
country highly valuable and do not believe you could do this on your
bicycle.
So, enjoy claiming you rights and occupying your lane and ranting
against the modern world. I'm going to enjoy the world as it is- and
there is plenty to enjoy.

Old October 7th 05, 10:33 PM
Zoot Katz

7 Oct 2005 13:02:39 -0700,
.com, "gds"
wrote:

I spent the weekend hiking above snow line in SW Colorado. Drove my SUV
500 miles on Friday to get there and then 14 miles of unmaintained
mountain roads to get get to the trail head- reachable only in a high
clearance 4WD vehicle. I find the ability to get far into the back
country highly valuable and do not believe you could do this on your
bicycle.
So, enjoy claiming you rights and occupying your lane and ranting
against the modern world. I'm going to enjoy the world as it is- and
there is plenty to enjoy.

Your iteration the so called "modern world" is based on an slick
marketing illusion that you gullibly swallowed whole, fool.
I'd say you're mentally and physically crippled by your dependency on
your scud if you can't imagine or manifest any less destructively
car-centric ways to enjoy our world.
--
zk
Old October 7th 05, 10:38 PM
gds

Zoot Katz wrote:
7 Oct 2005 13:02:39 -0700,

Your iteration the so called "modern world" is based on an slick
marketing illusion that you gullibly swallowed whole, fool.
I'd say you're mentally and physically crippled by your dependency on
your scud if you can't imagine or manifest any less destructively
car-centric ways to enjoy our world.
--
zk

Love it! Haven't worked with mental patients since 1971.

Why do you stay in an industrialized country if you despise it so much?
You could move to rural Borneo.

Old October 8th 05, 01:27 AM
Zoot Katz

7 Oct 2005 14:38:11 -0700,
.com, "gds"
wrote:

Love it! Haven't worked with mental patients since 1971.

Pimping your crazy sister doesn't count as working with mental
patients, goof.
--
zk
Old October 10th 05, 04:49 PM
gds

Zoot Katz wrote:
Pimping your crazy sister doesn't count as working with mental
patients, goof.
--
zk

Well we could keep the nonsense going forever. But on the nonsense
front you are sure to win. You really do make whatever good points you
have pretty hard to see when your basic communication form is insult
and cursing.
Have fun, continue on in any way you wish. Another benefit of modern
society, BTW.

Old October 11th 05, 12:31 AM
The Wogster

Wayne Pein wrote:
GaryG wrote:

"Wayne Pein" wrote in message

What brand/model? Most cycling mirrors are not very good (I've tried
most
of them), but I rarely go out anymore without my Take-a-Look mirror.
If you
haven't tried this model, you really should. It's far and away the best
cycling mirror made today...clips onto your glasses, and provides a
steady
view, with sufficient width of field. Much, much easier to monitor
overtaking traffic than the alternatives.

GG

I used a handlebar mount. It worked just fine as a mirror. The reason I
don't use a mirror is because I don't feel the need to monitor
overtaking traffic. When I did it made me more paranoid than any
benefits gained. When I want to turn left I do a look back. I don't need
the benefit of a mirror. I've been commuting during rush hour for many
years in a busy college town on a five lane road.

However, I ride with my wife everyday and she likes a mirror.

Unless you wear headphones or have a bike mounted radio blasting thrash
metal or something similar, you can often hear approaching traffic on a
bike, and by using proper signaling, and a look back, can probably get
away without a mirror most of the time....

Old October 11th 05, 12:36 AM
The Wogster

gds wrote:
The Wogster wrote:

There are two different issues he

1) If your going at 8 or 9mph, be aware of the 10 miles of traffic
behind you, move over, dismount and let the cars by. Good time, to
checkl some adjustments, take a swig of water, make it look like you
intended to stop for some reason.....

Why? It is perfectly easy and safe to stay right and let the cars pass.
Hundreds of folks do it every day of the year without mishap.

I'm thinking of a road that is not built for passing, for example very
narrow with lots of hills and/or curves, where you get a permanent
double yellow line, where you need to take the lane. Rather then
letting traffic build up to the point where someone does something
stupid like tries passing 15 cars, and then swings in front of the lead
car, because of the beer truck coming the other way. It's better to
know what is happening, and give traffic a chance to move, once in a while.

Old October 11th 05, 04:01 AM
GaryG

"The Wogster" wrote in message
.. .
Wayne Pein wrote:
GaryG wrote:

"Wayne Pein" wrote in message

[...]

Perhaps in an urban setting where overtaking speeds are slower. But, on the
semi-rural roads that I ride on (speed limits generally around 45 mph), it's
quite common to not hear cars before they're passing you. Contributing
factors include: wind noise (both ambient wind, and the wind generated by
cycling at 18-20+ mph), and the design of modern cars which are more
aerodynamic and have quieter tires.

GG