Veloce 9 speed cassette cogs in 10 speed Veloce cassette

Old January 8th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Veloce 9 speed cassette cogs in 10 speed Veloce cassette

Will this work:
1. 13 tooth first cog with built in spacer from a Veloce 10 speed
cassette.
2. 14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23 cogs from a Veloce 9 speed cassette.
3. Eight spacers from a Veloce 10 speed cassette.
4. 29 tooth last cog from a Veloce 10 speed cassette.
5. Assemble the cogs and spacers in the right order for a
13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-29 Veloce 10 speed cassette.

Harris Cyclery website lists the 9 speed and 10 speed Campagnolo cogs
as both 1.75 mm thick. Branford Bike lists the 9 speed cogs as 1.75 mm
thick and the 10 speed cogs as 1.70 mm thick. I cannot find or bring
up this information on the Campagnolo website. Does it matter if they
are the same thickness or not? 8 cogs from a 9 speed cassette at .05
mm thicker is 0.4 mm extra width in the whole cassette. Not much.

I know the shift from the 23 to 29 cog is not a problem, I shift my
short cage Chorus derailleur from 23 to 28 on a 9 speed set up now.

The Campagnolo website does list three thicknesses of spacers on the 10
speed cassettes. 2.40 mm for six of them. 2.55 mm for one near the
middle. 1.60 mm for the last spacer. I presume this is true.

The main reason for this possible setup is 9 speed Veloce cassettes are
half the price of 10 speed Veloce cassettes.